All Things Pharrel Payne Recruiting Thread (Class of 2022; Gophers Have Offered)

Looking at the roster I would have to agree. Probably him and a transfer big? Ihnen, Thompson, Fox at the 4. Anybody's guess is as good as mine at the 1-3. I'd assume we find a transfer PG/SG to start and possibly Henley or Ola Joseph at the 3? Carrington getting solid minutes at the 1/2 maybe.
From watching his HS game on TV last month, Ola-Joseph is not a 3, but the same type of role player that Ogele is now. He needs to lose some weight and get a better handle and shot to play any meaningful minutes next year. He is a project.

From watching his HS game on TV last month, Ola-Joseph is not a 3, but the same type of role player that Ogele is now. He needs to lose some weight and get a better handle and shot to play any meaningful minutes next year. He is a project.
Are you saying you think he is more of a 4? I'm not sure I think he will play much at the 4 with Battle/Ihnen/Fox but could be wrong. I know there is position versatility but if he's 6'6 200 that might be a tough task to guard B1G 4/5s. I thought he was more of a slasher but admittedly haven't watched JOJ play.

Looking at the roster I would have to agree. Probably him and a transfer big? Ihnen, Thompson, Fox at the 4. Anybody's guess is as good as mine at the 1-3. I'd assume we find a transfer PG/SG to start and possibly Henley or Ola Joseph at the 3? Carrington getting solid minutes at the 1/2 maybe.
Battle at the 3 position.

He played limited minutes as a back up big the only time I have seen him play. A sample size of one. He is strong, but didn’t slash. He drifted to the 3 point line mainly on offense, like most players these days. He might have thrown up a shot from the paint.

At that level of prep school competition he looked lost to me. He was not instinctive. He didn’t flash like Rodney Williams. He has a bigger frame.

He will need time to develop. He might turn out to be a really nice player once the game slows down for him.

If Ihnen can recover his mobility he can guard the three which would allow a bit of flexibility on the other end. Battle could step out and play the three on offense.

Gotta be thinking for next year:

Starters

1 (TBD)
2 (TBD)
3 Battle
4 Fox
5 Ihnen

Bench

1/2 Thiam, Carrington, Henley
4 Ola-Joseph
4/5 Thompson, Payne

*Need guys that can step in and be effective at the 1 and 2 spots or it's going to be another tough year. Might be a pipe dream but Walton would slide right in to that 2 spot very nicely.

Starters

1 (TBD)
2 (TBD)
3 Battle
4 Fox
5 Ihnen

Bench

4 Ola-Joseph
4/5 Thompson, Payne

*Need guys that can step in and be effective at the 1 and 2 spots or it's going to be another tough year. Might be a pipe dream but Walton would slide right in to that 2 spot very nicely.
I think you might be underselling Carrington and Payne. Payne will probably start ahead of Fox, who would be much better off the bench. He is limited offensively as a shooter - an athlete who will be able to guard, rebound, etc. - nice to bring off the bench. Someone else may come in but right now Payne, Ihnen, Battle a nice trio because both Ihnen and Battle will stretch the floor and go to basket - Ihnen will look much better with new staff.

Carrington can guard people and shoots the ball really well. I wouldn't put him to the bench right away, and we don't really know anything about Henley. Will be interesting to see who else they bring on for the perimeter. And, Ben, and most college coaches, don't think 1-5 anymore. It's funny to me that fans still label players that way when almost no one coaching does that anymore.

I think you might be underselling Carrington and Payne. Payne will probably start ahead of Fox, who would be much better off the bench. He is limited offensively as a shooter - an athlete who will be able to guard, rebound, etc. - nice to bring off the bench. Someone else may come in but right now Payne, Ihnen, Battle a nice trio because both Ihnen and Battle will stretch the floor and go to basket - Ihnen will look much better with new staff.

Carrington can guard people and shoots the ball really well. I wouldn't put him to the bench right away, and we don't really know anything about Henley. Will be interesting to see who else they bring on for the perimeter. And, Ben, and most college coaches, don't think 1-5 anymore. It's funny to me that fans still label players that way when almost no one coaching does that anymore.
I like the numbers just for reference but I do agree they don’t matter. It’s all about matchups.

It just seems like a lot to expect Payne and Carrington to come in and have success as freshmen, but I do remember Oturu starting as a freshman. He was more of a role player at that point.

I’d love to see those guys come in and play right away if they’re ready.

I also agree Fox is more of a bench guy, and would not be surprised to see him in that role.

I think there is a lot of versatility with the forward group. You'll see Battle get time at 3 and 4, Ihnen primarily will play the 4, Fox will get a lot of time at the 5 but probably some time at the 4 as well, Thompson will play the 4 and as long as he keeps putting on good weight should get 5 time as well.

I think you are looking at two additions at least at the guard spots through the portal. Henley and Carrington can both handle the ball a little bit and I'd call them combo guards. JOJ can play some at the 3 and a small 4 as well.

I think since we'll have some legit 4s next year, Battle will still be at the 3, with Henley, Carrington, Ola Joseph and any transfers that come competing at the 2 spot, unless they try Carrington at point.

Agreed about Payne. He's going to surprise people. As young as he is and as new to the game, he is only going to get much better, and he's already better right now than Curry (God bless him).

Starters

1 (TBD)
2 (TBD)
3 Battle
4 Fox
5 Ihnen

Bench

4 Ola-Joseph
4/5 Thompson, Payne

I think you are correct, but would bet Payne will start unless we get a transfer big. Not sure Ihnen will be able to bang with a lot of B1G bigs, but could be wrong.

I hear what you are saying, but when talking rosters you have to slot them in somewhere. Ihnen/Battle/Fox have versatility, although we will see some combo of them at the 3/4/ and maybe 5 depending on the team we are playing.

Agreed about Payne. He's going to surprise people. As young as he is and as new to the game, he is only going to get much better, and he's already better right now than Curry (God bless him).
Hard to say that until we Payne on the court against other collegiate players. Curry is wily and his experience counts for something.

Hard to say that until we Payne on the court against other collegiate players. Curry is wily and his experience counts for something.
I would agree that until we see Payne play against talented collegiate bigs it's hard to say, but having seen him play live a number of times now (and watching Curry live as well), he has a combination of skills that's pretty rare for a kid his age. I watched him live last night go for 38 vs Mounds View. Really impressive, and as a 17 year old who is fairly new to the game, his upside is huge. I agree Curry plays pretty good defense and has had his moments, but after all he's been through he just doesn't have the lift or inside scoring ability that the Gophers could really use. I think Payne is going to be a pleasant surprise for a lot of people.

If we don’t land one or two PGs before next year, a lot of games will resemble the 2nd half vs Iowa and the Nebby game. Pressure kills a pattern/passing team if they don’t have players that can go by defenders when needed. As an opposing coach, I’d have defenders up in the jocks of any combo guard that MN puts out there as the primary ball handler.

If we don’t land one or two PGs before next year, a lot of games will resemble the 2nd half vs Iowa and the Nebby game. Pressure kills a pattern/passing team if they don’t have players that can go by defenders when needed. As an opposing coach, I’d have defenders up in the jocks of any combo guard that MN puts out there as the primary ball handler.
You've got that right. There is an extreme need for more quickness and athleticism at the guard position for next year. As I used to say when asked about some of the poor teams I coached in youth basketball, "Well, we're small...but..we're slow.

Payne, Ihnen, TT, and Fox should help our rim protection next season and help fix one of the glaring needs they have now.
The other big weakness with this years’ team is PG, as others have said. Need someone to lead and facilitate and breakdown a D when the other team extends their D. Our CGs struggle against that pressure and we have no interior scoring options to help break it either.
Looking forward to Payne and our other bigs blocking shots and getting some high percentage looks next season.

I think Payne can have a freshman year somewhere between what Curry did his freshman year and what Oruro did. Both of those freshman years were very positive. The second year will be key how he develops and adjusts.

He will have trouble scoring over size in the beginning but he will figure it out. The moves in high school and free flowing AAU don’t work in the Big 10… that will be his adjustment like Oturu. Mounds Views biggest guy is 6’3 the overall conference is small. I like Payne a lot said he has gotten better like Oturo every year. Excited to have him! Did anyone see Payne’s stats against the big kid from Holy Family? FG%?

I think Payne can have a freshman year somewhere between what Curry did his freshman year and what Oruro did. Both of those freshman years were very positive. The second year will be key how he develops and adjusts.

He will have trouble scoring over size in the beginning but he will figure it out. The moves in high school and free flowing AAU don’t work in the Big 10… that will be his adjustment like Oturu. Mounds Views biggest guy is 6’3 the overall conference is small. I like Payne a lot said he has gotten better like Oturo every year. Excited to have him! Did anyone see Payne’s stats against the big kid from Holy Family? FG%?
I think the thing about Payne is that he has a good all-around game. He'll struggle to score for a while like most freshmen, but what's impressive is that he has great hands and feet, he can pass it, handle the ball a bit, rebound, defend, and he seems like a good teammate. Talent is talent, no matter who he's playing against.

I think the thing about Payne is that he has a good all-around game. He'll struggle to score for a while like most freshmen, but what's impressive is that he has great hands and feet, he can pass it, handle the ball a bit, rebound, defend, and he seems like a good teammate. Talent is talent, no matter who he's playing against.
Yeah, I think a polished offensive game will take some time, but like you pointed out, his feet, hands and athleticism will make help us a lot of offense right away.

I like the numbers just for reference but I do agree they don’t matter. It’s all about matchups.

It just seems like a lot to expect Payne and Carrington to come in and have success as freshmen, but I do remember Oturu starting as a freshman. He was more of a role player at that point.

I’d love to see those guys come in and play right away if they’re ready.

I also agree Fox is more of a bench guy, and would not be surprised to see him in that role.
agreed

Starters

1 (TBD)
2 (TBD)
3 Battle
4 Fox
5 Ihnen

Bench

4 Ola-Joseph
4/5 Thompson, Payne

I think you're probably right here but I really hope most of Battle's minutes come at the 4.

You make him out to be a one an done guy

see and i think people are underselling Henley way too much as well....as long as we can keep him commited and get him signed....he has as good as chance as Carrington as getting lots of early run on the wing as well

Isaiah is not a 5.
Will have to be for us. Who you thinkin? Payne?

With the current guys planned for next year, I don't think any will be able to guard true 5s in the paint. Ihnen seems like the best option though.

Top Bottom