All Things Paige Bueckers Recruitment Thread - Videos, Analysis, Tid-Bits, Articles

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Years ago, Epiphany Prince skipped her senior year at Rutgers to play pro ball in Europe before she became eligible for the WNBA.

gopher572

Reaction score
So you answered my question while I was posting it-thanks. So realistically Paige could leave the US and play professionally for a few years, where I hear they make more money then the WNBA, come back at 22 or 3 years from now to play. Meanwhile WNBA loses a good marketing player and we can’t enjoy watching her play, seems stupid to me.
That's right. She could do that. It is not likely to happen on a regular basis. The example of Epiphany Prince was pointed out. What is different with the current attention on it, is the acknowledgement that women's players should have the same option as the men. Of course, the money is different and most women seem to want to get their degree(s). And from a fan's perspective, that is part of the reason why the women's game is appealing to follow. You get to watch them develop over four (or in the case of Ali Patberg - seven ) years.

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
That's right. She could do that. It is not likely to happen on a regular basis. The example of Epiphany Prince was pointed out. What is different with the current attention on it, is the acknowledgement that women's players should have the same option as the men. Of course, the money is different and most women seem to want to get their degree(s). And from a fan's perspective, that is part of the reason why the women's game is appealing to follow. You get to watch them develop over four (or in the case of Ali Patberg - seven ) years.
The difference with Paige is that the NCAA is still trying to figure out N & I stuff, so she is missing out on that. She already has enough followers on Instagram (682K as of 3/25) & TikTok (226K) to make a pretty penny if it wasn't for the NCAA.

PhiloVance

Reaction score
They can play outside the U.S. as a pro. But they can't in the WNBA. U.S. players have to be turning 22 that calendar year or be four years out of high school.
So Scruggs can cash in Paige can't doesn't make a lot of sense.

xxxdog

Reaction score
We all know Bueckers is a great player who rejected playing for Lindsay Whalen & the Gophers, yet, we will always wish her continued success...My problem is with the local media who devote overwhelming press to U-Conn basketball and a Minnesota developed player who had zero interest playing in her home state. We can only hope there is another true state hero like Lindsay Whalen, a young lady, truly proud to wear the Maroon & Gold.....

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Bueckers has right ankle surgery:

UConn women's basketball guard Paige Bueckers, who won all but one of the national player of the year awards as a freshman this past season, had surgery on her right ankle, the school announced Saturday.

The procedure, which took place Friday, was to repair an osteochondral defect on her right ankle. Bueckers is expected to be ready for preseason workouts in September. Osteochondral defects are described as joint damage involving the bone and cartilage.

After rolling her right ankle against Tennessee on Jan. 21, Bueckers missed her only game of the season on Jan. 23 vs. Georgetown. She returned to the lineup on Jan. 28 vs. Arkansas. A UConn spokeswoman said the ankle issue was pre-existing even before the Tennessee game.

Bueckers led UConn in scoring (20.0 PPG), assists (5.8 APG), steals (2.3 SPG) and minutes played (36.2) this past season. She won the Naismith, Wooden, AP, espnW and USBWA player of the year awards for the Huskies, who finished 28-2 and lost in the national semifinals to Arizona. Freshman are not eligible to win the other major award, the Wade Trophy.

Top Bottom