All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

3 Replacements For Jim Harbaugh If He Leaves Michigan

3 Replacements for Jim Harbaugh

If Harbaugh does return to the NFL, here are three potential candidates that Michigan should strongly consider. (In order of my preference)

P.J. Fleck – Minnesota HC

If Harbaugh leaves Ann Arbor, Warde Manuel needs to get on a plane immediately to meet with Minnesota head coach, P.J. Fleck. Fleck is an outstanding head coach who brings a ton of charisma to the table. He has his hands in EVERYTHING at Minnesota and he is a top-notch recruiter who could take the Wolverines to the next level.

Go Gophers!!

3 Replacements For Jim Harbaugh If He Leaves Michigan

3 Replacements for Jim Harbaugh

If Harbaugh does return to the NFL, here are three potential candidates that Michigan should strongly consider. (In order of my preference)

P.J. Fleck – Minnesota HC

If Harbaugh leaves Ann Arbor, Warde Manuel needs to get on a plane immediately to meet with Minnesota head coach, P.J. Fleck. Fleck is an outstanding head coach who brings a ton of charisma to the table. He has his hands in EVERYTHING at Minnesota and he is a top-notch recruiter who could take the Wolverines to the next level.

Go Gophers!!

That's just click-bait. I didn't click on it.

Zero chance Michigan would consider Fleck.

I don't think it's as far fetched as some y'all want it to be ....
I want to disagree with you, but I don't. I think it's logical that PJ would have pretty high interest in a job like Michigan. I also don't totally buy the idea that no major program would have interest in PJ. He is an established, proven head coach and I think he could do amazing things with the resources of a blueblood. By all means I want him to stay here forever, but his name is going to come up in a lot of these articles, and that's just something we have to live with.

Based on what?
I think Fleck's brand is going to be a tough sell at a helmet school unless they have had a series of down years. That isn't a shot at Fleck, it's more of a shot at the snobbery and mindset of helmet schools.

It's one thing to not hire a "Michigan Man" but I personally think Fleck is a bridge too far.

Would they do all the Fleckisms? Could you see that at Michigan? Would Fleck be willing to play in the mud that might be required of a program who thinks they are competing for national championships?

I'm not sure on those questions and I think they'd have to pay him so much, Michigan would prefer someone who wouldn't have those questions.

I'd almost be more worried about an Oregon or some other program who isn't obsessed with their rich history.

I want to disagree with you, but I don't. I think it's logical that PJ would have pretty high interest in a job like Michigan. I also don't totally buy the idea that no major program would have interest in PJ. He is an established, proven head coach and I think he could do amazing things with the resources of a blueblood. By all means I want him to stay here forever, but his name is going to come up in a lot of these articles, and that's just something we have to live with.
Michigan and Notre Dame are the programs I'd worry about when it comes to P.J. This situation is a real risk.

Based on what?
Based on the fact that if any program looked upon as even moderately more prestigious than MN had offered this little egomaniac a job over the last six years, he would have hopped off faster than the Easter bunny on meth. This tells us no one even remotely near the class of the Michigan job has offered him, therefore, it's nil that Michigan would.

Based on the fact that if any program looked upon as even moderately more prestigious than MN had offered this little egomaniac a job over the last six years, he would have hopped off faster than the Easter bunny on meth. This tells us no one even remotely near the class of the Michigan job has offered him, therefore, it's nil that Michigan would.
Like clockwork.

RTB on a Michigan or Notre Dame helmet. I think not.
No chance in hell they'd ever allow that. But maybe on t-shirts. Or maybe not.

Those are two places I think Fleck would take it even if they forced him to abandon all his sloganeering crap.

I just don't see him being offered those jobs, when he has never even made the Big Ten Championship game yet. If he does, then perhaps.

He is a worthless poster only here to troll clearly.
Yep....he was an easy ignore, haven't regretted it for a second.

As for Fleck to Michigan. I don't think he would be at the top of their list if Harbaugh leaves but if they strike out with their top choices (not sure exactly who this would be) I could see them givign Fleck a long look. Tough to say if he would want to go there or not.

One of the things he cited as being important when he took the Minnesota job was being the only power 5 team in the state. That obviously would not be the case at Michigan.

I think Fleck's brand is going to be a tough sell at a helmet school unless they have had a series of down years. That isn't a shot at Fleck, it's more of a shot at the snobbery and mindset of helmet schools.

It's one thing to not hire a "Michigan Man" but I personally think Fleck is a bridge too far.

Would they do all the Fleckisms? Could you see that at Michigan? Would Fleck be willing to play in the mud that might be required of a program who thinks they are competing for national championships?

I'm not sure on those questions and I think they'd have to pay him so much, Michigan would prefer someone who wouldn't have those questions.

I'd almost be more worried about an Oregon or some other program who isn't obsessed with their rich history.
People act like Row the Boat is some sort of special thing that no other coach has and that it is Fleck's sole focus.

Row the Boat- Ski -U-Mah Go Gophers!

Row the Boat- Go be Big Blue

Row the Boat- Go Irish

Row the Boat is simply his way to build a culture similar to what any other coaches do. It's a tag line that works and people know what it means. It's marketing and he has charity tied to it.

Clemson coach has a culture very similar and if you listen to him and Fleck, Fleck says many of the same things, without putting God in it. Most coaches are about building men out of boys and being a teammate. 1,000 ways to go about.

Fleck should 100% be considered for the job if Harbaugh leaves.

My really good buddy is a massive Michigan booster who is deeply connected to their athletics department and particularly their football program. I just texted him about them poaching PJ if Harbaugh leaves and he sent back the 😂 emoji, then followed up with “Fleck to Michigan not going to happen.”

PS: he doesn’t think Harbaugh is leaving.

I send someone here a crisp 50 dollar bill if PJ Fleck is the HC at Michigan for the 2023 season.

People act like Row the Boat is some sort of special thing that no other coach has and that it is Fleck's sole focus.

Row the Boat- Go Irish

Row the Boat is simply his way to build a culture similar to what any other coaches do. It's a tag line that works and people know what it means. It's marketing and he has charity tied to it.

Clemson coach has a culture very similar and if you listen to him and Fleck, Fleck says many of the same things, without putting God in it. Most coaches are about building men out of boys and being a teammate. 1,000 ways to go about.

I assumed you, and most everyone knew this:

RTB has very special, very personal meaning to Fleck and is related to his young son passing away.

He has trademarked the phrase. And part of his contracts with WMU and the U is to be able to incorporate that directly into the football (and merchandise) branding.

Such will never fly at Michgan or Notre Dame.

By no means do I think he would be their first choice, but if they miss out on a few guys, I don't think it's crazy far-fetched. PJ knows how to appeal to whatever crowd he is addressing, and I absolutely believe he could do that at Michigan. Harbaugh is a very odd duck in his own right, although he is a Michigan man so he can get away with it.

Row the Boat- Go Irish

I'm not ripping on the row the boat thing but it is unique. There is no need to defend it. I cannot think of another coach that has a mantra that is so well known.

I understand other schools have mantras, that's precisely my point. I can't think of another coach that has his own branding on school helmets and says it in every interview.

I wouldn't, personally, compare being religious as your own branding but with your Dabo comparison, I think his "brand" would only make sense at certain schools. I don't think that brand works at USC.

If it's no big deal, do you think Michigan puts oars on helmets? If not, why not?

Row the Boat- Go Irish

War Eagle, Roll Tide, Fight On, O-H-I-O, Go Big Red, etc.
I agree PJ isn't as different as people like to think.

Top Bottom