All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

Zero chance on any current Big Ten West head coach. Assistants on the other hand, maybe.

Big XII North head coaches more realistic.

But all of those, it's the same thing: why would you want to go to Nebraska and try to rebuild that thing, with as absurd of expectations as their fanbase have? You're probably already getting $2,3,4M per year in your current gig, how much more money do you need?
$6-7 million with a massive buyout would do it.

Isn't O'Brian in the Saban Finishing School at Alabama? Pretty experienced guy.

Zero chance on any current Big Ten West head coach. Assistants on the other hand, maybe.

Big XII North head coaches more realistic.

But all of those, it's the same thing: why would you want to go to Nebraska and try to rebuild that thing, with as absurd of expectations as their fanbase have? You're probably already getting $2,3,4M per year in your current gig, how much more money do you need?

Because Nebraska still has plenty of money to throw at a coach and at players in the new NIL world. I don't think their expectations are as unreasonable as they used to be either. They haven't been to a bowl game in 6 years, and haven't won 10 games in 10 years.

They'd be happy with someone getting them back to the 9-10 win Pelini day's, without Pelini's attitude.

I think Nebraska ends up with the coach of whatever team wins the MAC this fall. Maybe the Marshall or App State coach if they have a big year.

SI chimes in:

One industry source told Sports Illustrated not to rule out some sitting Power 5 head coaches. Nebraska will be the first program to test the industry theory that Big Ten teams may be willing to spend serious cash knowing the windfall of television money is coming once USC and UCLA join the league in 2024.

In his press conference after the decision, Alberts told reporters that, "resources won't be an impediment for hiring the type of coach we want to lead the Husker program."

A non-exhaustive list the sitting head coaches who could fit that profile include:
  • Matt Campbell (Iowa State)
  • Dave Clawson (Wake Forest)
  • Chris Kliemen (Kansas State)
  • Jonathan Smith (Oregon State)
  • Lance Liepold (Kansas)
  • PJ Fleck (Minnesota)

Go Gophers!!

If I were the president of Nebraska I would draft Matt Campbell or Chris Klieman. Those two seem like a good fit.

Interesting he included just one B1G HC. With his premise of big money windfall for B1G, why did he include any B1G coaches?

Matt Campbell would be my first choice and I think he would make the move for a larger budget and more national TV exposure. But Nebraska probably wants a bigger name like Urban Meyer.

No way Fleck goes to Nebraska! His agent might use an offer to boost his and his assistants salaries though.

My worry would be Rossi to Nebby. In fact, that’s my nightmare! Imagine what he could do with their cruits!
Fortunately, he's not a "splash" hire at the moment and fear of fan retribution will probably prevent that from happening. They un-ironically want to hire Urban Meyer.

Totally fine if Fleck is able to leverage this into more money for himself or others. Just makes it more likely he will stay next time a spot like this opens up.

I'm not one of the people that thinks PJ could never leave here for another job, but NEBRASKA??? No way he leaves here for Nebraska. I could see maybe a place like Michigan or USC, but no way Nebraska.

These days Nebraska is a lateral move and if those delusional fans think they are going back to the glory days they are nuts. That is over for them.

These days Nebraska is a lateral move and if those delusional fans think they are going back to the glory days they are nuts. That is over for them.
No Nebraska fan I know expects to get back to the 1990s. They just think that they should be able to be competitive in the conference. They haven't been since Pelini. Sure, they'd like more than that as would Gopher fans, but they don't expect those past glory days to return.

Interesting he included just one B1G HC. With his premise of big money windfall for B1G, why did he include any B1G coaches?
Because when there is a coaching opening Fleck's name just gets tossed out there automatically by most of the hacks. Doesn't really matter if Fleck would be interested or if Nebraska would be interested in him, it is just about tossing the same names out over and over again. Campbell at Iowa State gets the same treatment.

Fleck chimes in per STrib:

When asked Monday if he had any interest in the Nebraska job, Fleck chuckled when informed of the tweet, then said: "No, our focus is 1-0 against Colorado. Just like the external [noise] with the players' expectations, the staff is the exact same way. The internal voice for us is focused on Colorado, period. There's a lot of things on the outside moving around. That's college football. The internal is what matters.''

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

After a 1-2 start to the season, Nebraska has fired head football coach Scott Frost. He was in his fifth season as head coach. The interim head coach will be Mickey Joseph. Here are potential head coach candidates for the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

1. P.J. Fleck​

P.J. Fleck started his career as a head coach out at Western Michigan. He led the Broncos to a New Year’s Six Bowl Game and posted a 30-22 overall record at the school. That was following a 1-11 start in his first season. He then took the Minnesota job in 2017. He has a 37-23 record with the Golden Gophers and had one of their best seasons in history in 2019, when they finished with 11 wins.

Fleck’s name has been on the coaching market before because of his ability to build programs. He did it at both Western Michigan and Minnesota. Nebraska could use someone like him to help return the Cornhuskers to their former glory. With more resources and a bigger brand to work with, Fleck could be the best head coach of the 21st century for Nebraska. The only question is whether he would leave one Big Ten West school for another.

Go Gophers!!

What makes people think Nebraska is a bigger brand than Minnesota? Is it their recent success? I would argue Minnesota is a much bigger brand nationally and historically.

What makes people think Nebraska is a bigger brand than Minnesota? Is it their recent success? I would argue Minnesota is a much bigger brand nationally and historically.

Because they've still won 3 national titles in the last 30 years. Minnesota hasn't won a Big Ten title in 60.

Fleck isn't leaving for Nebraska. But Nebraska football is still a giant brand with infinitely more resources than Minnesota.

Because they've still won 3 national titles in the last 30 years. Minnesota hasn't won a Big Ten title in 60.

Fleck isn't leaving for Nebraska. But Nebraska football is still a giant brand with infinitely more resources than Minnesota.
It's been 25 years, and that was a shared title with Michigan. Call them a brand all you want, but with the exception of Tanner Morgan and maybe some of the old guys that play for BYU, virtually no college player today was even alive when that happened, and certainly no recruits would be.

They might as well be Minnesota in terms of ancient history titles.

Top Bottom