All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

You do make a good point here and I am not one of those people who hates Cousins. I think you can go to a Super Bowl with an average QB, I just don't know if you can do it while paying him elite money (less $ for other positions).

Goff's salary in 2018 - $3 million.
Jimmy G in 2019 - $17 million

Cousins in 2021 - $31 million
Cousins in 2022 - $45 million
Cousins will qb a Super Bowl winner

I don't buy that at all. What does it matter with air travel? Fleck can afford to buy plane tickets every week for the whole family.
USC will give him and his family unlimited use of a private jet, he doesn’t need to worry about flying commercial

I don't buy that at all. What does it matter with air travel? Fleck can afford to buy plane tickets every week for the whole family.
Don't know if that is in Fleck's divorce or not, but having been through a divorce/custody/moving situation, it's entirely possible it's in there. Judges don't like sticking kids on 3 or 4 hour plane rides and I wouldn't be surprised if Fleck agreed to it as it seems he puts his kids as a very high priority

USC has been incredibly insular since Carroll left. Every coach has had some link to either Carroll or one of Carroll’s top lieutenants, ie Kiffin. That string seems to have played itself out to the bitter end, with Helton retained far longer than any sane USC fan preferred.

The reality is this IMHO: if PJF wants to build his own legacy with a chance to rebuild a great program, and be a big fish in a small lake he’s a Minnesota lifer. If he wants an easier path to reach for the brass ring and compete for national titles year in and year out he’s gone, sooner or later. There are few better spots than USC for that.

PJF is a good fit for Orange County, LA, and southern CA style-wise, but I’m not sure USC is. They are not going to be putting paddles on helmets. They don’t even put names on jerseys.

Being realistic, knowing PJF is inherently driven and an insane competitor I will not be surprised if he jumps to one of USC, UM, PSU, ND, or possible a southern school. Sorry but that’s my opinion. I have come to love PJF and his many idiosyncrasies and will be upset if he leaves but NCAA is changing for the worse before our eyes. For myself I can already foresee a future of utilizing my limited personal time to becoming an NFL fan again as the NCAA game becomes a constant churn of transfers, NIL lures, tampering, gambling, and corrupt conference league offices and officials.
Money, Titles, Roots, Legacy - what are his motivator(s)? His life experiences grounded him. He is a teacher, a builder of lives, a motivator.

If he wants to build his legacy, MN fits him like a glove with his midwestern roots. If it is all about money and title, the USCs and NDs of this world beckon.

The money and prestige are great at those powerhouse schools. So is the likelihood of getting fired.

I think Fleck would be a great hire at USC but I do not know if he will go for it if his friend Franklin is going for the job. Also, I think he might be looking at a 7-5 type season and that may not be good enough for them. They will get strong consideration from some pretty good coaches.

Fleck knows he is going to lose his entire starting offensive line as well as other key starters and this team may take a step back next year as they replace them. This would be a perfect time to take that jump up to the big time.

He would amp up their recruiting, and he would get their program rolling. I think you have a very good chance he leaves, especially if Minnesota has a great season. This talk should die down if they aren't a big winner this season. If I am hiring at USC and Minnesota finishes 7-5 or 6-6 this year, I will have better options - guaranteed.

My take: This will probably be a major distraction the rest of the year and is not going to help in a pivotal year for this program. I like PJ and hope he stays and is successful here but if he wants to leave, I won't shed any tears, either. He will be addressing this issue very soon as there will be a lot of people talking about it and will be talking about it every week unless he shuts down the talk immediately.
This is why he takes the job if offered. Like Mason said on radio. He would tell anyone in years 4-6 to go. “Once you get fired, you’re damaged goods.”

Who knows? The guy claimed he got it from a Strib article right after he was hired. I'm more than a little skeptical that article exists.
That was 5 years ago. Custody is reviewed often. I believe she is in Missouri and has good relationship with Heather.

Cousins will qb a Super Bowl winner
NOT a chance! That guy absolutely crumbles under pressure. UNLESS, he's a backup thrown in during mop up duty, which is also a very unlikely scenario.

He will never be the primary QB for a SB winner...

Money, Titles, Roots, Legacy - what are his motivator(s)? His life experiences grounded him. He is a teacher, a builder of lives, a motivator.

If he wants to build his legacy, MN fits him like a glove with his midwestern roots. If it is all about money and title, the USCs and NDs of this world beckon.

The money and prestige are great at those powerhouse schools. So is the likelihood of getting fired.

Agreed, expectations are pretty high. It’s absolutely astounding Helton survived this long. However, some people are not wired to lay up or even consider failure as a likely outcome. We will find out soon enough what PJF wants and believes if MN has a good season. I’m not going to worry about it, too much.

The USC fans I know prefer someone with NFL coaching chops, presumedly for a recruiting advantage. Booster influence is also a factor. What do they want? Do they have the ADs ear? PJF is, shall we say, polarizing.

Just here to post Kirk Cousins will never be a Super Bowl QB.
He's too old at this point.
Super Bowl winning QB's are usually in their 20's or named Tom Brady.

Sycophantic Kirk is stealing money from season ticket holders by sub-par play and his antics. The prima donna does not have that "it" factor. He stands to earn $45 million in 2022.

I'd say dump the three stooges - Spielman, Zimmer, and cousins if the Vikings don't win the Superbowl.

And if he did get fired from one of those blue blood jobs he would have no problem getting another job on the level of Minnesota, except he would have a lot more money in the bank.

It would be so much less stressful if PJ and the Gophers started losing every weekend so we wouldn't have to hear these rumors every time a job opens up.:p
Exactly, then we could get rid of him on our terms! 💪

Joking, of course

PJ has a losing big ten record. He needs to go 7-2 in the conference to have a winning big ten record. I really like PJ and am excited for what he is doing here but the team isn’t exactly world beaters year after year.

And if he did get fired from one of those blue blood jobs he would have no problem getting another job on the level of Minnesota, except he would have a lot more money in the bank.
No doubt, I mean how nice would it be to go from his current living check to check situation to actually having some money in the bank.... :)

I am sure USC would pay more but it is not like Fleck isn't making a ton of money at the U as well. All comes down to motivations, many on here are going wherever the paycheck is higher but if you are already making millions and most likely set for life, money and lining your pocket book isn't going to be your sole motivation in life.

It will come down to what Fleck truly wants to get out of coaching. If he wants to become a true legend at a school Minnesota offers him one of the best possible options to make that happen. If he wants to chase the prestige and fame then he will look to places like USC.

Always have to be skeptical with any kind of coach speak, but Fleck professes a lot admiration for guys like Barry Alvarez and Hayden Fry. Those guys became the legends they are by staying put at Wisconsin and Iowa and building those programs into consistent winners.

and be a big fish in a small lake
Regardless what size our (MSP) lake is, why is Gopher football a big fish? They have to compete with all the pro sports, and I would argue are always going to be second fiddle to the Vikings.

They are not going to be putting paddles on helmets. They don’t even put names on jerseys.
No major program is going to allow it on on the uniforms. They may allow him to put signs up around the stadium and certainly practice facilities, with RTB branding and jargon, and sell merchandise with it.

I know it's a cycle they want to break out of, but the interim coach is also the lead recruiter, I believe. If things turn around,, isn't there a chance they have big internal pressure to give him the job?
I think bolded is the reason why they won't.

Manning, Ben ... but yes your point stands.

EDIT: actually Ben only won the two much earlier in his career than I was thinking. Steelers always seem to be good but I guess the Patriots were very often better.

Unless PJ would be willing to change his system, I don't think Tressel ball would sell tickets in LA. He is a midwest guy with a midwest style offense and loves his connection to Illinois and how close he is to that home area, living here. Not to mention where do his kids live? I doubt he would pick up and move further from those kids than he already is. It is not ALL about coaching nationally but it is about winning for him. If he can build the Gophers up he knows we will build a statue and name a stadium after him. He can build this program up, he knows it.
Winning sells tickets in LA. They are a lot like the Twin Cities in that regard. Tressel ball was what USC played when they were great. Student Body Left & Student Body Right were their 2 main plays behind what was always the best OL in the country.

No doubt, I mean how nice would it be to go from his current living check to check situation to actually having some money in the bank.... :)

I am sure USC would pay more but it is not like Fleck isn't making a ton of money at the U as well. All comes down to motivations, many on here are going wherever the paycheck is higher but if you are already making millions and most likely set for life, money and lining your pocket book isn't going to be your sole motivation in life.

It will come down to what Fleck truly wants to get out of coaching. If he wants to become a true legend at a school Minnesota offers him one of the best possible options to make that happen. If he wants to chase the prestige and fame then he will look to places like USC.

Always have to be skeptical with any kind of coach speak, but Fleck professes a lot admiration for guys like Barry Alvarez and Hayden Fry. Those guys became the legends they are by staying put at Wisconsin and Iowa and building those programs into consistent winners.
Barry’s hi jinx in Madison made him ummm unavailable for hire. He simply made it look like it was his choice to stay put.

Winning sells tickets in LA. They are a lot like the Twin Cities in that regard. Tressel ball was what USC played when they were great. Student Body Left & Student Body Right were their 2 main plays behind what was always the best OL in the country.
Yes, 60 years ago they ran that. Very current and relevant.

Manning, Ben ... but yes your point stands.

EDIT: actually Ben only won the two much earlier in his career than I was thinking. Steelers always seem to be good but I guess the Patriots were very often better.

It's a bit of a surprising stat, but is true since essentially the whole Super Bowl era.

Yes, 60 years ago they ran that. Very current and relevant.
That's why whenever I listen to an LA guy on a talk radio show, they are all gaga over Kyle Winningham at Utah. They see the old time running game when they look at UU.

Top Bottom