All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

One thing that could make Tennessee attractive to Fleck - if you win at TN, you can be the biggest thing in the state - even over the NFL franchise.

In MN, the Gophers seem like they will always play 2nd fiddle to the Vikes.

I can see where, from a coaches' point of view, it would be fun to be the absolute "big dog" in town.

One thing that could make Tennessee attractive to Fleck - if you win at TN, you can be the biggest thing in the state - even over the NFL franchise.

In MN, the Gophers seem like they will always play 2nd fiddle to the Vikes.

I can see where, from a coaches' point of view, it would be fun to be the absolute "big dog" in town.

In MN, everyone else will play second fiddle to whoever is winning at the time. With so many options to choose from, and for whatever reason the personality of this state - there is a predominant bandwagon culture here.

In MN, everyone else will play second fiddle to whoever is winning at the time. With so many options to choose from, and for whatever reason the personality of this state - there is a predominant bandwagon culture here.
The perception is the NFL is far superior to B1G football for most sports fans and media locally. If the Gophers go on a Bama type NC run, you may see a shift in allegiance but that is what it is going to take personally.

The perception is the NFL is far superior to B1G football for most sports fans and media locally. If the Gophers go on a Bama type NC run, you may see a shift in allegiance but that is what it is going to take personally.

I was always surprised at the passion around the Vikings. So many mediocre teams that could never get over the hump. If that’s the standard then folks should have loved most Gopher teams too.

Surprised Matt Campbell not listed as a possibility.

I was always surprised at the passion around the Vikings. So many mediocre teams that could never get over the hump. If that’s the standard then folks should have loved most Gopher teams too.
They are the winningest team to never win a Super Bowl. When you have a 60 year run with that kind of record it's not hard to figure out why the passion is high.

All-Time Win Loss Records NFL

I think Fleck wants to have more success at Minnesota and if he leaves it’ll be for a bigger job. Not sure he wants to start over again this soon, unless it’s a dream job/top ten job. But who knows. I don’t think it’d be a good move for Fleck. Not to mention they screwed over the mentor he probably most respects.

Feeling is he won’t take it and is on list because one member of Tennessee leadership wants him. He fits their criteria.

I hope PJ stays. I think we're on the cuff of consistently winning the big ten west and having shots at big bowl games and the playoffs. If Mark Dantonio can take Michigan State to the playoffs then PJ can do the same here. I think the path to the playoffs are easier via the. Big Ten West and title game versus the SEC East and the SEC title game.

Barreiro said this morning that Tennessee media is saying they will announce the hiring of PJ tomorrow ... FYI

Barreiro said this morning that Tennessee media is saying they will announce the hiring of PJ tomorrow ... FYI
Hmmmm. He usually has good sources and just doesn't say stuff to say stuff. Did he say what are hs sources.

Was he using his sarcastic voice, or did he say it with some backing. Normally he's a sarcastic wise-ass.

With sanctions there if he can get a 7 year 49 million dollar deal, I would think he would take it. The sanctions give him a free pass those first few years. It’s easier to recruit there and they have better fan support and a lot more money. They have also proven that national championship can be won there in the modern era.

Hmmmm. He usually has good sources and just doesn't say stuff to say stuff. Did he say what are hs sources.
It sounds like he has plenty of leeway to be wrong here if he is saying the Tennessee media is telling him that.

Was he using his sarcastic voice, or did he say it with some backing. Normally he's a sarcastic wise-ass.
Agreed, he likes to stir the pot and get people fired up. It's a bit sociopathic, but many in the media seem to trend in this direction. Hoping this is the case vs him being right.

Feels like it's becoming more and more likely Fleck is leaving with the news that keeps coming out. First Dan, now this article, etc. The fact that his name keeps appearing doesn't bode well either.

From the same article: "It remains unclear if Fleck has any interest in the position."

I presume every year the hounds will bring up PJ Fleck's name. It will get worst once they win a Big Ten Title.

Why would he want to leave the Gophers, the Big Ten for Tennessee? He has an AD who is a friend and backs him 100%. Does he and Heather want to abandon their midwestern roots?

He has a chance to write his own legacy here.

That's just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

I presume every year the hounds will bring up PJ Fleck's name. It will get worst once they win a Big Ten Title.

Why would he want to leave the Gophers, the Big Ten for Tennessee? He has an AD who is a friend and backs him 100%. Does he and Heather want to abandon their midwestern roots?

That's just my humble opinion.
Seems foolish to me to take that kind of risk given the backing he's had at and from the U, but the incentives for any individual vary.

So long as the Gophers are more successful under Fleck than they have traditionally been, he will be named in these things.

Feels like it's becoming more and more likely Fleck is leaving with the news that keeps coming out. First Dan, now this article, etc. The fact that his name keeps appearing doesn't bode well either.
I know you wish the demise of everything UofM sports related, but just STFU.

Top Bottom