All Things Nolan Winter Recruitment Thread (Class of 2023, Gophers Offered, Son of Trevor)

A fan would just not have a final 2 of their favorite team and the favorite team's rival.

Where did you get the idea that Nolan was a fan? He is a prospective student-athlete trying to figure out what is best for his future.

Much like many thousands of prospective students (athletes and non-athletes) EVERY YEAR, who have narrowed their college choices down to rivals. Literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of kids every year have a final two of Minnesota or Wisconsin: or Michigan or Michigan State; or Iowa or Iowa State: Missouri or Kansas; or UCLA or USC.

Many students don't even become a fan of their favorite team until they actually get to college. They choose the school for other reasons and then fall in love with the teams. Many Gopher fans are that way.

My neighbor kid just graduated from Iowa State last May. He was never a fan of them growing up. But, he went on a campus visit, liked it, went to school there, and now is about as die hard as you could get. He loves the Cyclones and I think that is great, totally organic. He went to their bowl game in Orlando last year, has season tickets this year as a graduate and drives from Eagan to Ames and back for every home football game.

Last edited:

Where did you get the idea that Nolan was a fan? He is a prospective student-athlete trying to figure out what is best for his future.

Much like many thousands of prospective students (athletes and non-athletes) EVERY YEAR, who have narrowed their college choices down to rivals. Literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of kids every year have a final two of Minnesota or Wisconsin: or Michigan or Michigan State; or Iowa or Iowa State: Missouri or Kansas; or UCLA or USC.

Many students don't even become a fan of their favorite team until they actually get to college. They choose the school for other reasons and then fall in love with the teams. Many Gopher fans are that way.

My neighbor kid just graduated from Iowa State last May. He was never a fan of them growing up. But, he went on a campus visit, liked it, went there, and now about as die hard as you could get. He loves the Clones and I think that is great, totally organic. He went to their bowl game in Orlando last year, has season tickets this year as a graduate and drives from Eagan to Ames and back for every home football game.
That's my whole point... I am only questioning whether he is a diehard fan. Both parents played significant roles in the success of their respective teams at the U so logic dictates that THEY are. The offspring of diehard fans often become diehard fans.

Let me be straight... I have no ill will towards Nolan in any way, shape, or form. I am simply pointing out what appears obvious to me. You aren't a diehard fan if you have a final 2 that includes the home team and the home team's biggest rival. You just aren't.

Both squads have been recruiting Nolan for years. Nolan has had the same amount of time to analyze the schools. I can see only one possible explanation for the lack of commitment after his visit... he is leaning one way and his parents are leaning another.

At this stage, he must be comfortable going to either school if they are in his final 2 so they must be dead even. If Nolan were a diehard fan, the apparent tie between the two squads would be easily be broken by living the dream of playing for the team he grew up with.

Instead, I get the sense that, for whatever reason, WI would be the easy favorite if Nolan were coming from the State of Idaho, for example. But, because of his parents' background and MN being his hometown state, Nolan has brought them up into a tie with his favorite. He is now trying to weigh these options- likely head versus heart.

There is no vilification of Nolan. Knowing his parents a bit, I have no doubt that he is as nice as they are. The young man is free to make his own decision. I don't fault him for that. I just don't believe that he is a diehard fan of the U.

That's my whole point... I am only questioning whether he is a diehard fan. Both parents played significant roles in the success of their respective teams at the U so logic dictates that THEY are. The offspring of diehard fans often become diehard fans.

Let me be straight... I have no ill will towards Nolan in any way, shape, or form. I am simply pointing out what appears obvious to me. You aren't a diehard fan if you have a final 2 that includes the home team and the home team's biggest rival. You just aren't.

Both squads have been recruiting Nolan for years. Nolan has had the same amount of time to analyze the schools. I can see only one possible explanation for the lack of commitment after his visit... he is leaning one way and his parents are leaning another.

At this stage, he must be comfortable going to either school if they are in his final 2 so they must be dead even. If Nolan were a diehard fan, the apparent tie between the two squads would be easily be broken by living the dream of playing for the team he grew up with.

Instead, I get the sense that, for whatever reason, WI would be the easy favorite if Nolan were coming from the State of Idaho, for example. But, because of his parents' background and MN being his hometown state, Nolan has brought them up into a tie with his favorite. He is now trying to weigh these options- likely head versus heart.

There is no vilification of Nolan. Knowing his parents a bit, I have no doubt that he is as nice as they are. The young man is free to make his own decision. I don't fault him for that. I just don't believe that he is a diehard fan of the U.
I have to question how much of a fan Trevor Winter really is...if his son goes to Wisconsin. Seriously.

Maybe they're just hyping things up to get positive media when they choose Minnesota. So I'll wait before speculating any further on this.

Winter wins either way. He can go to a team that fits his playing style exactly. Most players today know that their professional careers are going to be based on versatility. In that case, Winter may benefit from going to a team that is a slightly different style so he can broaden his game.

Davison and Taylor also would have fit here just as well but chose the biggest rival. All I know is that WI kids rarely cross the border to MN even when their teams stink and the U is top dog. Their families would disown them! Apparently fandom isn't what it used to be. Sad as that's what makes college sports fun.
Have you looked at Wisconsins track record with local kids recently? It’s worse than MN. Iowa and Iowa State had some luck there. We don’t get Wisconsins kids cause we don’t recruit them and haven’t been good enough to get the one worth going for. The fandom commitment is way more rare than you make it out to be.

Unathletic white bigs is Wisconsin's trademark. 3 per year for 20 years...out of 60, ONE from 15 years ago made the NBA as a reserve...and you guys praise it as something special.

I couldn't care less if Wisconsin keeps their trademark. I'm not worried about it. Our issues are our own.
I’ve heard he is very athletic….

Winter wins either way. He can go to a team that fits his playing style exactly. Most players today know that their professional careers are going to be based on versatility. In that case, Winter may benefit from going to a team that is a slightly different style so he can broaden his game.

Davison and Taylor also would have fit here just as well but chose the biggest rival. All I know is that WI kids rarely cross the border to MN even when their teams stink and the U is top dog. Their families would disown them! Apparently fandom isn't what it used to be. Sad as that's what makes college sports fun.

I think Pitino offered Davison the day before he committed to the Badgers….it was a pathetic job by our coaching staff.

I hope he chooses the Gophers, but beyond that, I hope he makes a good decision that he is happy with and can live with.

I don't think the "rivalry" stuff really factors in. Winter has had a lot of offers from a lot of schools. and apparently, the two schools he likes the most are MN and WI.

this is a big decision for a HS kid. again, I hope he chooses the Gophers.

FWIW - I have attended a lot of HS games in Slayton. Trevor's jersey is in a glass case in the entry-way into the main gym.

Or maybe he’s a huge fan, as others have pointed out via attendance.

However, he grew up in the Lakeville sports community. Thus, he knows a lot of guys he looked up to growing up that have been well developed via the Wisconsin system. They say, “hey kid, I was. Gopher fan too, but give these guys a chance.” He trusts these guys. Hey, why not?

He visits, it’s like they said. He feels at home . He’s surprised.

He looks at the Campus, it’s fun and vibrant. Big Cities aren’t his thing (And as we already established, Madison is a rinky-dink town, not much different from Bakeville).

He looks at the long, and consistent list of NBA players they’ve developed. Wow, it’s long. And contrary to @MNjay’s assertions, the players are varied, athletic, un athletic, white, black, tall, short, Gaurds, Forwards, Centers.

He starts to think, gosh, my heart says go with the team I love. The new coaching staff seems geeat. Yet that requires a leap of faith.

His head, says the coaching staff has done this for a long time, with a lot of guys. They have it.

However, he grew up in the Lakeville sports community. Thus, he knows a lot of guys he looked up to growing up that have been well developed via the Wisconsin system. They say, “hey kid, I was. Gopher fan too, but give these guys a chance.” He trusts these guys. Hey, why not?

He looks at the Campus, it’s fun and vibrant. Big Cities aren’t his thing (And as we already established, Madison is a rinky-dink town, not much different from Bakeville).

He looks at the long, and consistent list of NBA players they’ve developed. Wow, it’s long. And contrary to @MNjay’s assertions, the players are varied, athletic, un athletic, white, black, tall, short, Gaurds, Forwards, Centers.

He starts to think, gosh, my heart says go with the team I love. The new coaching staff seems geeat. Yet that requires a leap of faith.

His head, says the coaching staff has done this for a long time, with a lot of guys. They have it.
What long list of NBA players? I see Minnesota producing more NBA players than Wisconsin recently.

Lakeville North plays at Wisconsins team camp every year too. Most times get a game on the kohl center floor too because they got guys there. Can’t help not see the campus No matter who you like if you play for Lakeville North.

What long list of NBA players? I see Minnesota producing more NBA players than Wisconsin recently.
Well, then I have to know where you get your drugs. See, I love the Gophers, and am dying to know how I can live your lie.

I have to question how much of a fan Trevor Winter really is...if his son goes to Wisconsin. Seriously.

Maybe they're just hyping things up to get positive media when they choose Minnesota. So I'll wait before speculating any further on this.
Think again. The Winters have tailgated at Gopher football games for years…if the kid chooses Wisconsin it’s not because of Trevor’s fandom.

Well, then I have to know where you get your drugs. See, I love the Gophers, and am dying to know how I can live your lie.
Well I guess Coffey wasn't drafted. But he's had some 30+ point games in the NBA already. Oturu was drafted in 2020.

Johnny Davis this year was Wisconsin's first draft pick since 2015.

Well I guess Coffey wasn't drafted. But he's had some 30+ point games in the NBA already. Oturu was drafted in 2020.

Johnny Davis this year was Wisconsin's first draft pick since 2015.
N it was a lotto pick. Oturo isn’t even in the NBA

No its because your takes are horrid and easily destroyed. Methinks you are trolling...
Wisconsin fans troll on here. Say they have a long and distinguished list of NBA draft picks. When they haven't had one for 7 years.

Same guy who "doesnt care about the B1G."
I hate the Big Ten Tournament. And all conference tournaments.

They make zero sense. The media tells us we should love it...but I don't.

Last edited:

You are accusing longstanding fans on this board of cheering for Wisconsin. Meanwhile you have been here 2 weeks and are popping off like you were one of the founding members...

You are either a PBU, a troll or you need to just sit back and actually pay attention.

You are accusing longstanding fans on this board of cheering for Wisconsin. Meanwhile you have been here 2 weeks and are popping off like you were one of the founding members...

You are either a PBU, a troll or you need to just sit back and actually pay attention.
I'm not a pbu.

And if I'm a troll because I'm refuting the notion that Wisconsin gets players drafted...what does that say?

They just went 6 years without having anyone drafted. 2016-2021.

Top Bottom