All Things Nolan Winter Recruitment Thread (Class of 2023, Gophers Offered, Son of Trevor)

That's not it at all. It's not my decision. My kid was raised to despise WI and IA. They would laugh hysterically if either of these schools called. The thought of attending one of these two schools would sicken them!

That's what I don't get about Winter... how can he even be considering WI when both parents participated in border battles with them?
Nm

That's not it at all. It's not my decision. My kid was raised to despise WI and IA. They would laugh hysterically if either of these schools called. The thought of attending one of these two schools would sicken them!

That's what I don't get about Winter... how can he even be considering WI when both parents participated in border battles with them?
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say they want what’s best for their kid.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say they want what’s best for their kid.
As I said, I am surprised that NOLAN would even give WI and IA the time of day. In my household, those two are the hated enemy. My child would NEVER consider it 'best' for themselves. They may not choose to go to the U but they certainly wouldn't even think about going to WI or IA. There are literally dozens of schools that can offer everything that those two schools have.

I would have imagined that Trevor and Heidi would have even more reason not to like WI and IA.

The offer that worries me is the one from Stanford. That is a very hard school to pass on.
Ding…ding….ding….ding….

This is my thought too. After Stanford offered, someone I talked to speculated that there was a lot of interest in Stanford. I kind of think he is going to choose the Gophers though. I talked to another friend whose opinion matters to me….especially about Winter….who said he is highly skilled and the best shooter LN has had. I asked if he was a better shooter than Macura and he replied yes. Which surprised me.

Last edited:

As I said, I am surprised that NOLAN would even give WI and IA the time of day. In my household, those two are the hated enemy. My child would NEVER consider it 'best' for themselves. They may not choose to go to the U but they certainly wouldn't even think about going to WI or IA. There are literally dozens of schools that can offer everything that those two schools have.

I would have imagined that Trevor and Heidi would have even more reason not to like WI and IA.
Why ? Tons of parents respect their kids for finding the path the kid wants. Our kids and grandchildren picked different schools them we did. So many factors. Not all parents force their hatred of teams and programs onto their children.

Why ? Tons of parents respect their kids for finding the path the kid wants. Our kids and grandchildren picked different schools them we did. So many factors. Not all parents force their hatred of teams and programs onto their children.
Or certain people. And that's why we have prejudice, because some do.

Picking a school for education seems different when picking for sports.

Maybe I have that wrong.

It isn't so much a hatred, but a rivalry that can build from when you are young. The old "Friends don't let friends go to Wisconsin..."

You can build a "Not Interested" attitude for a rival school. The only reason that I would even consider a school like Sconny or Iowa for sports was if it was the only D1 offer, period.

It is quite a stretch to call is prejudice....

I have explained this a few times but I must not be making myself clear. I am not making the decision for the child... they are making it for themselves.

A child that is raised in a rabid Gopher household is NOT going to have ANY desire to attend the hated rival. The whole family watches the rivalry games and passionately roots for the Gophers and against the badgers or hawkeyes. This is how I was raised and how our household is today.

I imagine that Michigan families feel the same about Ohio State while Alabama families despise Auburn. Seems fairly obvious to me. We parents are not forcing hatred... we share in a family bond of rooting for the home team (and against the rivals!) and the child actively participates in this.

Or certain people. And that's why we have prejudice, because some do.
It is good spirited fandom... we actively root for the home team and against the 'enemy.' Perhaps 'hatred' is too strong of a word but we seriously 'do not like' the red team to the east and the black and yellow team to the south!

I am surprised that this is a strange concept to a few of you. I wonder if it has to do with how we became Gopher fans. Perhaps my upbringing from an early age in a rabid Gopher family builds a stronger attraction than simply going to the U as a student? I feel it is nearly part of who I am and how I define myself!

I have explained this a few times but I must not be making myself clear. I am not making the decision for the child... they are making it for themselves.

A child that is raised in a rabid Gopher household is NOT going to have ANY desire to attend the hated rival. The whole family watches the rivalry games and passionately roots for the Gophers and against the badgers or hawkeyes. This is how I was raised and how our household is today.

I imagine that Michigan families feel the same about Ohio State while Alabama families despise Auburn. Seems fairly obvious to me. We parents are not forcing hatred... we share in a family bond of rooting for the home team (and against the rivals!) and the child actively participates in this.
All this becomes more difficult when the home team doesn’t win enough games. I’m shocked at the front running fandom of a lot of kids, athletes or not. Sad fact is the Gophers have not won enough to preserve rivalries into the next generation in a lot of families.

Not a big deal. everyone is different. We are raised differently, we raise differently. I do know that for recruits they pick coaches, programs and schools for so many reasons and by that time they have been exposed to so many teams and programs. They have traveled all over, seen other places and have actually cheered for other teams and programs.

My guess is currently the two biggest drivers in recruiting are which schools offer the most NIL money and which programs can get kids to the NBA, even though the NBA is a pipe dream for 99% of the players who are recruited.

All this becomes more difficult when the home team doesn’t win enough games. I’m shocked at the front running fandom of a lot of kids, athletes or not. Sad fact is the Gophers have not won enough to preserve rivalries into the next generation in a lot of families.
How do you explain Cubs fans? Your home town team doesn't always have to be a winner for you to root for them.

Not a big deal. everyone is different. We are raised differently, we raise differently. I do know that for recruits they pick coaches, programs and schools for so many reasons and by that time they have been exposed to so many teams and programs. They have traveled all over, seen other places and have actually cheered for other teams and programs.
To each their own....

I think a big difference is if people are more lovers of the game or more supporters of their home area.

The average person wearing a Gopher sweatshirt isn't so much watching the zone blocking schemes, cycling the puck or waiting for a back post screen. They are watching their home team do well and trying to beat the rival teams. People watch the Olympics and root for the USA in badminton, diving or curling even if they know nothing about the coaching or even the rules of the sport.

But some true lovers of the sport concentrate more on the details of how it is played more than who is playing. If you are going to be a great player, you had better be a true lover of the game.

And of course, many fans are a combination of both homers and an aficionado of the sport.

I mean if that's the case then the kid will definitely look at the Badgers as the better option because it really hasn't been much of a rivalry for most of his childhood

My guess is currently the two biggest drivers in recruiting are which schools offer the most NIL money and which programs can get kids to the NBA, even though the NBA is a pipe dream for 99% of the players who are recruited.
I doubt that maybe for elite prospects but that's unrealistic thing for all kids currently being recruited

I mean if that's the case then the kid will definitely look at the Badgers as the better option because it really hasn't been much of a rivalry for most of his childhood
Unless he wants to help change that. The past does not have to be the future.

How do you explain Cubs fans? Your home town team doesn't always have to be a winner for you to root for them.
Outta town fans buying tickets to Wrigley totally bothered the cub diehards for years. They felt ownership never felt the $ pain.

I don't doubt there are real Cubs fans who suffered greatly for a century and bled for their terribly managed team. But the phenomenon of the pained Cub fan is a distortion. The reality is that Wrigley became a place to be seen, and the banner of fan of the loser was a way to fit in with the cool kids. I suppose not unlike Twins "fans" who only attend World Series games and tell the camera on the street that it is their lifelong dream to see them win it all, and probably could not name six players on the roster a month prior.

I will repeat this one more time and then I am done. My kid may not choose to go to school at the U but they will never choose the rivals. I am talking both academically and, if they are so lucky, athletically. If they have a desire to get out of MSP and away from mom and dad, there are literally dozens of other more options that they will find more attractive than heading east on 94 or south on 35.

If I asked any Vikings fan whether they would suddenly switch to rooting for the Packers because of the Packers success, I would be laughed out of the room. I don't see why any given diehard Gopher household would be any different.

I don't doubt there are real Cubs fans who suffered greatly for a century and bled for their terribly managed team. But the phenomenon of the pained Cub fan is a distortion. The reality is that Wrigley became a place to be seen, and the banner of fan of the loser was a way to fit in with the cool kids. I suppose not unlike Twins "fans" who only attend World Series games and tell the camera on the street that it is their lifelong dream to see them win it all, and probably could not name six players on the roster a month prior.
????

1654280063351.png

Top Bottom