All Things NCAA Tournament Games

Man, Big Ten teams took a beating this weekend.

I expected the big 10 to get killed this year but found it rather disappointing the previous two seasons as I thought Illinois, Purdue, and Iowa were legitimately good teams in 2021 and 22.

Conference being exposed…..once again.

One national championship since the ‘80’s.
Yep. Three in the nine years between 1981-89 and only one in the 33 years (likely to be 34) since. That’s mind blowing for a power conference that prides itself on its basketball heritage.

I expected the big 10 to get killed this year but found it rather disappointing the previous two seasons as I thought Illinois, Purdue, and Iowa were legitimately good teams in 2021 and 22.
B1G had too many teams in, conference just wasn't very good. Purdue was picked toward the lower tier at the beginning of the year. Illinois never jelled with the portal transfers and Iowa, a first round defeat is a general constant with Fran.

The golden days of college basketball are behind us. First it was the one and dones, then the rampant transfers. College basketball was most attractive as a 4 year sport where athletes actually played for the school.
True. But I think the chart for every sport but the NFL would be dominated by the same period.

True. But I think the chart for every sport but the NFL would be dominated by the same period.
Yes and they all suffer from the same issue. The teams are transitory for the most part. Football has really the best rules to keep some continuity. The free agency world has not been great for the fans.

Yes and they all suffer from the same issue. The teams are transitory for the most part. Football has really the best rules to keep some continuity. The free agency world has not been great for the fans.
Also true. But audience fragmentation is the biggest issue. The top rated primetime TV shows today would have gotten cancelled in 3 weeks in 1994 even though the population is much bigger. Only the NFL has mostly bucked the trend, but not entirely. The ratings for the Super Bowl and Sunday games have mostly held up, but the ratings for Monday Night Football for example are not nearly what they were 25 years ago.

I wouldn't get too carried away by infrequent achievements. This is only the 3rd time this century that the Ivy League has placed a team in the final 16 (Harvard did it in 2014 and Cornell did it in 2010).

Either Florida Atlantic or Fairleigh Dickinson will make the final 16 this year but neither team has won an NCAA tournament game previous to this year.
The Ivy League gets only one team in the tournament, the BIG usually gets eight or nine.
When was the last time a BIG team won the championship and how many times in the last ten years has a BIG team been in the Final Four?

The Ivy League gets only one team in the tournament, the BIG usually gets eight or nine.
When was the last time a BIG team won the championship and how many times in the last ten years has a BIG team been in the Final Four?
I believe the B1G has gotten 7 teams in the last 10 Final Fours.

OSU 2012
Michigan 2013
Wisconsin 2014
Wisconsin 2015
Michigan State 2015
Michigan 2018
Michigan State 2019

Much is made of the fact that no Big Ten team has won the Nat championship since 2001 but actually from 2000 to 2019 the Big Ten had the most final four teams of any conference at 16 and 48 sweet 16 teams, only two shy of the ACC. So it’s not like they weren’t having successful tournaments. But since Covid it’s been a disaster for the Big Ten. I can’t really put my finger on the reason. Some have said not good enough athletes but teams like Illinois and Ohio State don’t necessarily fit that narrative. Whatever the reason there is no debating that it’s been a really disappointing last three tournaments for the conference.

Noell from KState is EXACTLY the player MN needs.

Beats pressure with ease and just destroys a defense.

Noell from KState is EXACTLY the player MN needs.

Beats pressure with ease and just destroys a defense.
He's the funnest player I've seen in the tourney.

This is one of the most entertaining games I've seen, and they're both under 30 at the half.

Why the hell does Kentucky keep trying to trap Nowell when it’s so easy for him to beat it with his quickness? Calipari gets more NBA talent than anyone but he’s really not that great of an X and O coach.

He's the funnest player I've seen in the tourney.

This is one of the most entertaining games I've seen, and they're both under 30 at the half.
He's everything we hoped Jelly Fan was going to be.

NCAA basketball officiating is so bad it's hard to watch sometimes. I'm for KState, so I don't care, but some really baffling calls in this UK - KSU game.

Top Bottom