All Things NCAA Tournament Games

Hope Ben was paying attention to UConn. Lots to learn about how to get a 6’9” man child the ball for easy hoops without the endless use of him as a screener at the top of the key. Hope Payne was paying attention to how to get and hold position and how to defend without fouling. Hope our entire staff noticed the importance of a deep bench (use all of your allotted scholarships) and the need for athletes who are also shooters. Every single player for UConn was a threat with the ball in their hands. And they were all willing passers.

Jim Nantz's sign off was the highlight. I think that sums it up.
Nice send-off by people associated with the game. I can't say I'm going to miss him that much. He did well, but not heroically in my view. I think there are a lot of play by play guys who are better than him, including the guy who is replacing him at the final four. You have to hand it to him for getting out before he was told to get out by the network, though. So many public figure type people just hang on too long, far beyond their peak and can spoil the memories. He's only 63 and probably could have done it another five years pretty easily.

We sat at a table across from him in Indianapolis PF Chang's years ago. We did the Minnesota thing and didn't bother him. I'm sure he appreciated it.

Hope Ben was paying attention to UConn. Lots to learn about how to get a 6’9” man child the ball for easy hoops without the endless use of him as a screener at the top of the key. Hope Payne was paying attention to how to get and hold position and how to defend without fouling. Hope our entire staff noticed the importance of a deep bench (use all of your allotted scholarships) and the need for athletes who are also shooters. Every single player for UConn was a threat with the ball in their hands. And they were all willing passers.
I hope the B10 refs watched the game and let Payne get away with what the let Sanogo do......I kept watching all the pushing and shoving and pulling that they allowed down low (and I had no problem with it) but I kept thinking Payne would've been called for his 5th offensive foul after about 6 minutes LOL

Nice send-off by people associated with the game. I can't say I'm going to miss him that much. He did well, but not heroically in my view. I think there are a lot of play by play guys who are better than him, including the guy who is replacing him at the final four. You have to hand it to him for getting out before he was told to get out by the network, though. So many public figure type people just hang on too long, far beyond their peak and can spoil the memories. He's only 63 and probably could have done it another five years pretty easily.

We sat at a table across from him in Indianapolis PF Chang's years ago. We did the Minnesota thing and didn't bother him. I'm sure he appreciated it.
He's still doing NFL and the Masters etc. But apparently he has two kids under 10 and wants more free time.

What's it called when a team plays one of the worst halfs in memory? Can't shoot, blown layups, sloppy, lazy passing and turnovers, and terrible defense?

I know what it is called when it's a Gopher team ... bad coaching. He can't recruit shooters, doesn't teach defensive fundamentals. Not putting players in positions to succeed. Poor roster construction ... need guards, guards, guards to win.

But what's it called when it is Brian Dutcher's team?

What's it called when a team plays one of the worst halfs in memory? Can't shoot, blown layups, sloppy, lazy passing and turnovers, and terrible defense?

I know what it is called when it's a Gopher team ... bad coaching. He can't recruit shooters, doesn't teach defensive fundamentals. Not putting players in positions to succeed. Poor roster construction ... need guards, guards, guards to win.

It's called Red Rover. We ran six teams at Connecticut, and they made them all look like monkey's uncles.

I agree with you that no good coach should ever lose a game. Connecticut lost eight this year, which is shameful.

Given his track record? I’d call it an aberration against an excellent opponent who steamrolled their way through a tournament.

I hope the B10 refs watched the game and let Payne get away with what the let Sanogo do......I kept watching all the pushing and shoving and pulling that they allowed down low (and I had no problem with it) but I kept thinking Payne would've been called for his 5th offensive foul after about 6 minutes LOL
Noting also that he shuffles his feet everytime he handles the ball.

It's called Red Rover. We ran six teams at Connecticut, and they made them all look like monkey's uncles.

I agree with you that no good coach should ever lose a game. Connecticut lost eight this year, which is shameful.
Those eight losses are a big mystery, but i noticed Hurley is a lot calmer on the sidelines from years past and even mid-season.

Do you recall a time in the past two years where a bad Gopher performance was dismissed as "the other guys were really good"?

Do you recall a time in the past two years where a bad Gopher performance was dismissed as "the other guys were really good"?

I recall bad Gopher performances in nearly every game, and 'the other guys were really good' in nearly every game.

The reality is the Gophers were a really bad team and not every team they played was really good.

Those eight losses are a big mystery, but i noticed Hurley is a lot calmer on the sidelines from years past and even mid-season.
It's easier to be calm when you have double digit leads. The losses demonstrate three things. First, the Big East was really good this year. Second, winning in conference is always harder than out of conference. The teams know you too well. Third, getting hot at the right time does mean something. Compare UConn with Purdue this year.

It's easier to be calm when you have double digit leads. The losses demonstrate three things. First, the Big East was really good this year. Second, winning in conference is always harder than out of conference. The teams know you too well. Third, getting hot at the right time does mean something. Compare UConn with Purdue this year.
I would say his going calmer was a result of that losing streak coming to an end. He's maturing as a coach. As a result, the team is playing loose and not constantly looking over their shoulder.

Never been a Nantz fan, in any sport he covers (although he’s best at golf). He’s always been too much processed vanilla for my taste and has always felt careful, rehearsed, and yes, boring. And he comes off as the ultimate company man, especially with the NFL. Ian Eagle is gong to breathe new life into the Final Four broadcast next year.

Top Bottom