All Things McKinley Wright Recruiting Thread

So is he talking about the Gophers or Xavier? Think Dayton to Xavier is 50 miles so I hope he meant the Gophers.

He's talking about Minnesota. I believe Xavier is focusing on PG Paul Scruggs who is high ranked than Wright. Will the proximity to Minnesota beat out the success that Dayton has had over the past several years with Archie at the helm?

On his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said he thinks its down to Minnesota and Dayton and said: "Somebody with Dayton tells me its going to be hard to beat the team 20 miles down the road."

http://www.1500espn.com/podcast-center/

Go Gophers!!

Sort of odd wording, but I assume he means 20 miles down the road from Champlin Park. Either way, I would be ecstatic if we landed both Wright and John. If we get Sims, that would be the cherry on top.

I know many will disagree with me but I've watched Wright play 8-10 times and if he goes elsewhere, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Sims and John are the prizes in this recruiting class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know many will disagree with me but I've watched Wright play 8-10 times and if he goes elsewhere, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Sims and John are the prizes in this recruiting class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McKinley Wright also plays with Theo John and Jericho Sims, who apparently really like playing with him, so a Wright commitment could entice one of the others.

I work with Paul Scruggs dad....no one is a favorite right now, he will take his official visits n go from there...thats what i hear currently

McKinley Wright also plays with Theo John and Jericho Sims, who apparently really like playing with him, so a Wright commitment could entice one of the others.

Agreed, as well as Matthew Hurt in a few years. Even if Wright never becomes a good player for us, he could be used as a very valuable recruiting chip this year as well as landing Hurt who looks to be an unreal talent.

Using a marginal player to land good players is poor practice and almost always backfires anyway. We saw how it worked out on the football side with JD Pride, and basketball is even worse because each scholarship is more valuable than in football. Wright's offer should've been (and hopefully was) extended on merit, not wasting a roster spot in the hopes that we may or may not have a better chance of signing key players.

Using a marginal player to land good players is poor practice and almost always backfires anyway. We saw how it worked out on the football side with JD Pride, and basketball is even worse because each scholarship is more valuable than in football. Wright's offer should've been (and hopefully was) extended on merit, not wasting a roster spot in the hopes that we may or may not have a better chance of signing key players.
I seriously doubt the staff would extend a scholarship offer to Wright if they didn't believe he was worthy. I think the previous comments were speculating that an extra benefit to landing him could be an extra draw for some of the other local players.

the games that I have seen Wright play he has looked great. Think he would look very nice in a Gopher uniform.

Have the Gophers offered?? Do they have a shot?

Nah. He's like a top 40 recruit from Indiana. I believe IU, Purdue, and Xavier after him hard. He's only relevant to this particular discussion as far as if Xavier gets him, they might stop recruiting McKinley Wright. Though it seems it's probably between us and Dayton for Wright anyway.

I seriously doubt the staff would extend a scholarship offer to Wright if they didn't believe he was worthy. I think the previous comments were speculating that an extra benefit to landing him could be an extra draw for some of the other local players.

agreed, we cannot throw away scholarships

If you saw McKinley play on the Adidas Circuit this summer, he's more than deserving of the offer. One of the better rebounding PG's in the 2017 class. There's a reason he garnered offers from a number of HM programs. Touch, physical guard that gets everyone involved and can keep defenses honest with his jumper. Would be more than happy to have him backup Nate Mason in 17-18 and then possibly take over the reins in 18-19 (assuming we don't land Tre Jones).

On his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie had this to say about Wright:

- He was on the U campus last weekend, but he did not spend the night. He was hanging out with some of the guys. McKinley Wright is building a nice relationship with a number of guys on the Gophers.
- The Gophers are sitting very, very pretty with McKinley Wright.
- He still talks daily with Dayton. It seemingly is down to the Gophers and Dayton.
- The Gophers are seemingly in a good spot with McKinley Wright.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

I'm still cautiously optimistic that Wright will be our first 2017 commitment. Hopefully he brings John along with him.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

McKinley Wright will be announcing his college decision on September 15th. I'd like to think that him tweeting this right after his visit to Minnesota bodes well for us, but he might be visiting Dayton this next weekend, I thought I read that somewhere.

Also said his visit to Minnesota was a "10 out of 10"

10 out of 10 ain't too shabby. Here's to hoping that Wright commits and Theo soon follows.

McKinley did an interview post Gopher visit with Doogie for Doogie's Scoops podcast which released yesterday. Two things struck me as especially notable from the interview one being that the Gophers have told Wright he is their priority at point guard (not particularly surprising they would say this, but certainly notable) and the other being that McKinley is bringing multiple family members with him to his Dayton visit. Doogie seems very confident that Wright will be a Gopher, for what that is worth.

McKinley did an interview post Gopher visit with Doogie for Doogie's Scoops podcast which released yesterday. Two things struck me as especially notable from the interview one being that the Gophers have told Wright he is their priority at point guard (not particularly surprising they would say this, but certainly notable) and the other being that McKinley is bringing multiple family members with him to his Dayton visit. Doogie seems very confident that Wright will be a Gopher, for what that is worth.

Bringing family members with on an official visit is pretty standard nowadays. Even though his family lives nearby in Champlin, they were with him during his official visit.

per Marcus:

It's pretty clear what Wright likes about the Gophers, especially after he spent a few days with the team. He even spoke with new Minnesota athletics director Mark Coyle.

"I have a good relationship with pretty much everyone on the Gophers roster," Wright said. "I’m really cool with those guys."

But why are the Flyers one of his finalists?

"People say they're not a big name, but I don't really pay attention to the name of the school," Wright said. "It's more about what I could do there. And Dayton is a good school. They've been to the (NCAA) tournament a lot. (Three) years in a row."

Wright has a good relationship with Dayton coach Archie Miller and assistant Tom Ostrom, who is a Minnesota native and U graduate. They've been recruiting Wright since his sophomore year.

"The first time I ever talked to them, they were on me pretty hard," he said. "I talked with the players. They really want to win. Nobody on the team was ranked in the top 100 (as a recruit). But they just get the job done. When I was down there (for an unofficial visit in the summer), they were going 5-on-5 at 1 o'clock in the morning. That impressed me."

http://www.startribune.com/mckinley...ta-and-dayton-sept-15-announcement/392601731/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom