All Things McKinley Wright Recruiting Thread

per STrib:

He’s also got a few helpers on the Gophers side. Wright said that incoming freshman Amir Coffey has made a few pitches for him to join the home-state team. And fellow commit Michael Hurt will sometimes show up to D1 Minnesota practices – the AAU squad that Wright and Hurt’s younger brother Matthew play for – and chide Wright about how good he would look in maroon and gold, he said with a laugh.

What have been your early impressions of Minnesota?

Wright: I talk to [the staff] daily. They obviously stress that they need a point guard to come run the show. But we talk about other stuff like life and school and the NBA playoffs. We’re just building a relationship outside of basketball as well.

I was talking to [Pitino and assistant coach Ben Johnson] even before they offered me. But since they offered me, I’ve been talking to them a lot. That’s a big thing in my recruitment and will be in my decision: having a good relationship with my coaches. And I really think they’re working on that, we’re working on that all together … Having an offer from the home-state school is a blessing. I’m excited. My family was excited for me and I was excited as well. So it means a lot for me.

I feel like they’re making me a priority. I get tons of attention from them. I talk to them a lot.

The Gophers struggled a lot last season, in Pitino’s third year. Will that outcome play any role in your decision?

Wright: Obviously they didn’t have a good season this past season. But I didn’t look at it like that. I looked at it like they had a super young team getting used to this level of play. So I really didn’t stress about them having a bad season because they were still so young. But I think this year they’ll be good.

I think they’ll be good over the next few years. A lot of people don’t think they’ll do well but in my opinion, I think they will.

http://www.startribune.com/point-guard-wright-is-on-minnesota-s-list-of-hopefuls/378320221/

Go Gophers!!

Wright: Obviously they didn’t have a good season this past season. But I didn’t look at it like that. I looked at it like they had a super young team getting used to this level of play. So I really didn’t stress about them having a bad season because they were still so young. But I think this year they’ll be good. I think they’ll be good over the next few years. A lot of people don’t think they’ll do well but in my opinion, I think they will.

McKinley can see it

Agreed. I love his quickness and how smooth that pull-up jumper looks.

This is what separates Wright from the other PGs in the class. Is above average to very good shooter. Also, he's an absolute monster on the glass and a good defender. Very good leader who I think can convince other top instate prospects to come to MN (Race Thompson, Matt Hurt). Honestly want him more than Washington.

This is what separates Wright from the other PGs in the class. Is above average to very good shooter. Also, he's an absolute monster on the glass and a good defender. Very good leader who I think can convince other top instate prospects to come to MN (Race Thompson, Matt Hurt). Honestly want him more than Washington.
I agree, I bet he commits soon after Washington visits. I would take either one, but without knowing much about Washington, maybe he can shoot as well, from NYC so I am guessing he can take it to the hole, but Wright's quick can pull up and would be another inroad for in state recruiting

Wright should strongly consider committing before Washington's visit. There's always the chance that Washington commits on his visit, particularly because I'm sure he realizes there is a hometown PG also considering us. Not a bad situation for us to be in at the moment.

Wright should strongly consider committing before Washington's visit. There's always the chance that Washington commits on his visit, particularly because I'm sure he realizes there is a hometown PG also considering us. Not a bad situation for us to be in at the moment.

I think that's all part of the recruiting game and why it is so refreshing to be working multiple recruits at every position of need. There may be one guy that you want the most but the only way to create urgency for that player is to have others of similar quality in the hopper. I have to think that Wright is thinking just like you are.

I think that's all part of the recruiting game and why it is so refreshing to be working multiple recruits at every position of need. There may be one guy that you want the most but the only way to create urgency for that player is to have others of similar quality in the hopper. I have to think that Wright is thinking just like you are.

With Jarvis Johnson not being be cleared medically and with Dorsey leaving, I think the Gophers would take both Washington and Wright.

With Jarvis Johnson not being be cleared medically and with Dorsey leaving, I think the Gophers would take both Washington and Wright.

Get what you're saying, but as of now there are only two open spots, maybe they'll sign three, but I think they want to bring in a bigman as well to get class balance at those positions. That's where Sims and John fit the mold.

Get what you're saying, but as of now there are only two open spots, maybe they'll sign three, but I think they want to bring in a bigman as well to get class balance at those positions. That's where Sims and John fit the mold.

Open scholarships have proven to not be a concern.

We still only have 2 scholarships for 2017 right? Because Buggs' scholarship was going to be free for that season anyway. So Buggs' scholarship is available now, and then Springs' after this upcoming season. I suppose it's possible we could take both, and it's an appealing thought since both of them seem to be top 150 caliber guys and very interested in us. But if we do that, it would likely mean starting a newcomer at center in 2018, either a true freshman or a juco.

Open scholarships have proven to not be a concern.

True, but unfortunately they usually open up in the spring when most guys commit in the fall. Pitino hasn't put himself in a position to Crean anyone as of yet. if a spot opens up for 2017, it'll probably be because either Lynch gets dismissed or someone leaves after next year

True, but unfortunately they usually open up in the spring when most guys commit in the fall. Pitino hasn't put himself in a position to Crean anyone as of yet. if a spot opens up for 2017, it'll probably be because either Lynch gets dismissed or someone leaves after next year

There's a 100% chance of rain today and a 90% chance someone transfers next year. It happens to nearly every team, every year.

There's a 100% chance of rain today and a 90% chance someone transfers next year. It happens to nearly every team, every year.
Agreed, but what I am saying is whether it's Pitino or Smith or whoever the coach is we don't have a history of over recruiting, I wouldn't have a problem with it myself as I believe three freshman would balance the roster out. Transfers happen, we just had two, but I doubt any of the guys we are going after now are going to wait until the spring to commit. So if (probably when) they happen we will be back at square one. Maybe it's a University thing, they don't want the bad pub, but Creaning can definitely be used against you on the recruiting trail as well. I wouldn't want another player to leave before this season either as that would put us at 11 scholarship players. Makes it harder to run practice with less bodies, especially if you're a pressing team

We might take both, but I'm sure neither of them would be thrilled about committing with someone in the same class at the same position. That threatens playing time that they could get elsewhere without the direct competition.

Fair point but Pitino has always talked about having basically 2 point guards on the floor together like Louisville's title team that had Russ Smith and Peyton Siva. Convinced Jarvis he would be great with Dorsey in same backcourt. Just a thought.

Fair point but Pitino has always talked about having basically 2 point guards on the floor together like Louisville's title team that had Russ Smith and Peyton Siva. Convinced Jarvis he would be great with Dorsey in same backcourt. Just a thought.

I think we can still have that with any combination of Mason, McBreyer and Coffey next year. All three have good handles and court vision, add Wright or Washington into the mix and you have four capable PG's on your roster

I think we can still have that with any combination of Mason, McBreyer and Coffey next year. All three have good handles and court vision, add Wright or Washington into the mix and you have four capable PG's on your roster

When these two are Freshman, Mason will be a Senior and MacBreyer a Junior. Even though I know Coffey is a good ball handler and could bring the ball up the court if needed, he'll never actually play PG.

Agreed Coffey not a pure pg he's an option because he can handle the ball. I bet we take a pg in 2018 as well

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Nike? 2016 tournament qualifiers?

The latter.

All recent or historically regular NCAA tourney qualifiers.

Dayton last 3.

Iowa State last 5.

Texas 16 of last 17.

Xavier 14 of last 16.

It's very important this regime gets to the tournament, and soon (in 2017-18 it should be required). It's a really important chip to have in your hip pocket if you want more of the the very best local kids (like Coffey) to listen to your recruiting pitch.

Top Bottom