All Things McKinley Wright Recruiting Thread

Also, he said he wants to pick a school where he can be the PG in 2017 -- we already have a PG for 2017. I'd guess Oklahoma for him.

So he plans on going to St Thomas, not many D1 schools where that is going to happen, the Gophers are the perfect environment for a PG in 2017, Mason will be a senior and McBray really is a combo guard that can play PG but probably more effective at SG, plenty of playing time as backup with the PG role wide open in 2018.

So he plans on going to St Thomas, not many D1 schools where that is going to happen, the Gophers are the perfect environment for a PG in 2017, Mason will be a senior and McBray really is a combo guard that can play PG but probably more effective at SG, plenty of playing time as backup with the PG role wide open in 2018.

+1

Maybe I'm wrong. Hope I am. I'm just basing my opinion off of what the kid said. Wright said he wants a place that needs a PG for 2017. He didn't say he wants to go to a program that needs a PG, he specifically said he wants to go to a program where he can play PG in 2017. I'm just pointing out that unless something happens to Mason the point guard spot is at the U is filled for 2017. Maybe Wright changes his criteria, or maybe something else happens that makes him want to go to the U. It's tough to predict what any 16-17 year old kid will do.

And I think he will have more options than St. Thomas...there are 300+ D1 basketball schools. I don't have the time to look it up, but there are probably 10+ high major schools that start a freshman PG in a given year.

I got the same sense. Doogie sounded like he was a U of M recruiter in that interview, and Wright wasn't really having it. I don't think Wright picks the U. Also, he said he wants to pick a school where he can be the PG in 2017
Teams generally have more than one PG on the roster. Wright won't step in and start at any of his top offers. He would get 10-15 minutes his frosh year at the U and them all bets are off when Mason graduates

Is there a rule against more than one guy playing point guard in 2017? Or did he actually say he wants to START at point guard? If all he wants to do is get minutes at point guard, that's certainly possible here.

Maybe I'm wrong. Hope I am. I'm just basing my opinion off of what the kid said. Wright said he wants a place that needs a PG for 2017. He didn't say he wants to go to a program that needs a PG, he specifically said he wants to go to a program where he can play PG in 2017. I'm just pointing out that unless something happens to Mason the point guard spot is at the U is filled for 2017. Maybe Wright changes his criteria, or maybe something else happens that makes him want to go to the U. It's tough to predict what any 16-17 year old kid will do.

And I think he will have more options than St. Thomas...there are 300+ D1 basketball schools. I don't have the time to look it up, but there are probably 10+ high major schools that start a freshman PG in a given year.

No question he could play right away at some D1 schools but would that be his best option, he's not a one and done like Tyus, he will need to develop and being the man year one should not be one of his objectives.

he said he wants to pick a school where he can be the PG in 2017 -- we already have a PG for 2017. I'd guess Oklahoma for him.

????

Oklahoma has a top JUCO point guard signed who is the same age as Mason, so I don't know how that makes any sense. If Wright is scared off by Mason, then I doubt he'll want any part of Okahoma, either. Plus, Oklahoma isn't going to stop recruiting PGs.

Quite frankly, if he wants to be a PG in 2017, Minnesota makes absolute sense. One year tutelage under Mason and then if he plays well, he could have the spot for three years here.

????

Oklahoma has a top JUCO point guard signed who is the same age as Mason, so I don't know how that makes any sense. If Wright is scared off by Mason, then I doubt he'll want any part of Okahoma, either. Plus, Oklahoma isn't going to stop recruiting PGs.

Quite frankly, if he wants to be a PG in 2017, Minnesota makes absolute sense. One year tutelage under Mason and then if he plays well, he could have the spot for three years here.

Iowa State would be the likely destination as Monte Morris is a senior this year and McKinley would be given every opportunity to start as a frosh. I am sure Prohm is using both Isaiah Cannon and Cameron Payne as examples on how he potentially sees Wright fitting in his system and getting to the next level. Cyclones will be tough to beat out.

Is there a rule against more than one guy playing point guard in 2017? Or did he actually say he wants to START at point guard? If all he wants to do is get minutes at point guard, that's certainly possible here.

He said "somewhere where they need me to fill in that point guard spot for 2017." Sort of open to interpretation as to whether he meant the starter or not. (I think he means that he would be starting, but I realize that is not exactly what he said.) We certainly could play more than one point guard at a time, and he could certainly still get some minutes without starting.

????

I assume you are talking about Darrion Strong who is more of a combo guard. He is a score-first guy. Not a true PG. And I don't think he is scared off by Mason, but Mason will be a three year starter going into 2017. It would be very unlikely that a change would be made unless Mason really fell off a cliff.

Huh? You basically just said...If he wants to be a PG in 2017 then Minnesota makes a lot of sense because he can start in 2018.

I'm just pointing out that he clearly wants to start or play significant minutes at PG in 2017. He specifically said 2017, not 2018 or 2019. He wants to play PG and he wants to do it right away. If that is truly what is important to him then I wouldn't be surprised if he went elsewhere. I think John, Sims, and Washington (who is a higher rated PG anyways) are more likely commits for 2017.

I assume you are talking about Darrion Strong who is more of a combo guard. He is a score-first guy. Not a true PG. And I don't think he is scared off by Mason, but Mason will be a three year starter going into 2017. It would be very unlikely that a change would be made unless Mason really fell off a cliff.

Huh? You basically just said...If he wants to be a PG in 2017 then Minnesota makes a lot of sense because he can start in 2018.

I'm just pointing out that he clearly wants to start or play significant minutes at PG in 2017. He specifically said 2017, not 2018 or 2019. He wants to play PG and he wants to do it right away. If that is truly what is important to him then I wouldn't be surprised if he went elsewhere. I think John, Sims, and Washington (who is a higher rated PG anyways) are more likely commits for 2017.

Well, I wish the young man luck.

Tubby with an offer:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus' offer on Sims:

“It will always be fun to stay home and play,” said Wright, who has offers from Illinois, Nebraska, Iowa State and Xavier. “But at the end of the day, it’s what is best for us individually and where we fit the best in the long run. I was excited (hearing from Minnesota). It’s my home state, so it was exciting to get an offer from here. My mom, whole family and my grandma were really excited for me. It was a real big deal for me.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/05/0...-is-fastest-rising-hoops-player-in-minnesota/

Go Gophers!!

Doogie has an interview with Wright in his latest "Scoops" Podcast. Wright said he has an official visit with Iowa State in early June. He plans to take official visits to Xavier and Dayton as well. He said he hears from the Gopher coaches almost daily, said he heard from Ben Johnson twice about the off the court issues at the U, said he knows Reggie Lynch and that he's a good guy, timetable on decision is September/October.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

Doogie has an interview with Wright in his latest "Scoops" Podcast. Wright said he has an official visit with Iowa State in early June. He plans to take official visits to Xavier and Dayton as well. He said he hears from the Gopher coaches almost daily, said he heard from Ben Johnson twice about the off the court issues at the U, said he knows Reggie Lynch and that he's a good guy, timetable on decision is September/October. http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/ Go Gophers!!

Also said the he talks with John and Sims about playing together in college and that it would be amazing, but that each has to do what's best for them. Good interview

It was good to hear Wright mention that he hears from Pitino or Ben Johnson on a daily basis. That level of contact seems in significant contrast to the Nate Reuvers recruitment. On the negative side it is somewhat disappointing that despite showing that level of interest Wright is still looking to visit Dayton and Xavier but hopefully that is just him wanting to experience some visits.

It was good to hear Wright mention that he hears from Pitino or Ben Johnson on a daily basis. That level of contact seems in significant contrast to the Nate Reuvers recruitment. On the negative side it is somewhat disappointing that despite showing that level of interest Wright is still looking to visit Dayton and Xavier but hopefully that is just him wanting to experience some visits.

I am not to worried most recruits take multiple visits, as long as we are his first or last visit I'll feel good

Disappointing? What should he do? Not visit any other schools and just commit to the Gophers because he's getting daily lip service? You get 5 visits for a reason.

Disappointing? What should he do? Not visit any other schools and just commit to the Gophers because he's getting daily lip service? You get 5 visits for a reason.

+1 the player has to find the place where he'll thrive on and off the court. That being said we all hope that he finds that place to be MN.

Recruits don't necessarily end up taking all the visits they talk about taking. Especially in basketball.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Been starting to feel more optimistic about Wright in the last few weeks.

I feel good about Wright, the only way I can see him going elsewhere at this point is if we land a PG before he commits

Top Bottom