All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

It's a big freakin' decision. If he's not ready to make it, he's not ready.

Personally, I would rather see any recruit wait until they're certain - as opposed to making a verbal commitment, and then changing their mind a couple of weeks later.

Measure twice, cut once. I heard that in shop class over 45 years ago. I'm still not sure what it means. (I was terrible in shop.....)
It is a big decision I agree! How long you wait though? How long does unc wait? Is it still ok if its may 25th and he still hasnt decided?

My apologies, i did a poor job of communicating my point. I believe I mentioned it isn't a hard sell: no offense to anyone's profession, but I'm talking about tracking u done on a car lot or in a best. Buy. I'm referring to having a sales meeting with Sr. Level people at brand names like Merck, Phizer, GSK and back in my MN days 3M and BN(Burlington Northern). These folks aren't suspetible to closing techniques like what I previously mentioned or where you push the pen to them intimating that the should sign, but at a certain time after answering all their questions satisfactolly, you need to ask for the order as ND close just like the pretty girl who has eyed you all night - people respond to confidence.

I spent 15 years in research so I love it, great book to read on sales is Spin Selling - was required at one of my first jobs and made me a good amount of dough- based on research of what works and doesn't.
I am sure your sales insight far exceeds my own. Merely sharing something that two coaches have used for a handful of conference titles and a few national titles. Not saying it is the only way by any means. None of it matters anyway if you can not mold them into a championship team.

I read somewhere his mom wants him to stay home and his dad wants him to go to UNC. Not gonna go back and try to find the link so take it for what you think it's worth. But I do know one thing: if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!
Tons of truth in that ! The longer it goes on the better for the Gophers under the situation of covid 19. Only certainty is i will be thee cheering on whoever is suited up.

I gotta imagine if it were solely up to him he’d have made a decision. The situations screams that people very close to him have very strong opinions and it’s very possible he’s wanting everyone to be good with the decision before making it public. If it’s true mom wants him home and dad wants UNC, that’s gotta be tough on the kid. WHAT DOES KERWIN WANT? That’s all that should matter.

Mom's boss! Never argue with mom. So what does kerwin think? Lol
Every family is different. In our family it was imperative for my kids and eventually my grandchildren to make this decision entirely on their own so they could own it as the first adult decision they would be making outside of our home. In each case they did not pick our alma or a state school. They bought and paid for those decisions.

I gotta imagine if it were solely up to him he’d have made a decision. The situations screams that people very close to him have very strong opinions and it’s very possible he’s wanting everyone to be good with the decision before making it public. If it’s true mom wants him home and dad wants UNC, that’s gotta be tough on the kid. WHAT DOES KERWIN WANT? That’s all that should matter.
Agree. Good for us that he may not be like me. If he is caught in that situation and if i had been i would have picked neither !

It is always a problem when you are trying to fulfill other people’s dream with your decision. He is the one who has to live with the decision and the people who really care about him need to back off and let him do what he wants. As a parent you just try to prepare your kid the best you can to make the right decisions and then support them as much as possible.

Now they say they are announcing tomorrow around 11:00 am.

I say move on!

I read somewhere his mom wants him to stay home and his dad wants him to go to UNC. Not gonna go back and try to find the link so take it for what you think it's worth. But I do know one thing: if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!
I've been wondering if something like that is taking place, and if that does end up being the case, whether he and both parents live in the same household (for context).

I am sure your sales insight far exceeds my own. Merely sharing something that two coaches have used for a handful of conference titles and a few national titles. Not saying it is the only way by any means. None of it matters anyway if you can not mold them into a championship team.

Thanks and my apologies if I came off as the know it all authority (feel like Eric Cartman). I see someone like Fleck who is to my eyes a great recruiter, or Buzz, Tony if Jay and I think Richard could be better and we have much more to sell than most schools. Just want him to win some if these, you lose Garcia okay, but win Walton aND keep Treyton then it makes it easier for the next wave to come. This us a gold mine waiting to happen with the Football and Basketball at the same time - we icould have
an amazing for all of us. How many schools currently have both spots at a high level - not many outside the B2
20, lol. It should be us Mich And OSU, no clowns to the south of East. I also really like Richard.

THanks board for bring patient with my info a impatienceI

today. Sanity will return somewhat.

Some decent comments on the North Carolina board tonight too....

"Is there really a Kerwin walton?"

"Maybe after all these years, it isn't actually Where's Waldo, but Where's Walton?"

"This has become an absolute train wreck! I want to give up but just can't look away!"

"It's kinda like one of those colonoscopy videos: you can't stand to watch, but you can't stand to look away, either. "

"Hard to believe there is no intel on what the hey is going on. I'm exhausted just trying to follow this. I can't imagine being in the midst of it. "

Crazy weekend, I'd still love to see him in maroon and gold though. He'd be a great fit and an instant starter. Being close to home during a pandemic is not a bad idea either.

I agree. With all of this discussion and impatience, myself included, I want him as a Gopher. Let's go Walton! Ski U Mah

This is a weird turn of events. Maybe his family should stop giving a timeline and just announce when it happens?

It's a sign! :) (Minnesota at 11:00)
Isn’t that just Noon Eastern?

Or, maybe most importantly, 9am Pacific (which Arizona is at this time of year)

Last edited:

Top Bottom