All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

Any chance these recruits are dodging NC and AZ for their shadyness? Seems like they've been missing a lot on recruits
I mean I get that the NCAA probably wont do anything, but I have to imagine that going to Arizona now is a risk. Could be put on probation, miller could be gone, etc I get that Pitino could be gone too next year, but theres a possibility that things could really blow up at Arizona!

Any chance these recruits are dodging NC and AZ for their shadyness? Seems like they've been missing a lot on recruits
Hope so... The NCAA hasn’t done anything, so hopefully the players and their families will stand up to the cheating. Those schools have gotten rewarded in the past for cheating, it would be nice to see players punish them by staying clear. They can all just rot away in the cesspool they created.

Per UNC and AZ:

I guess these kids are learning an important life lesson, the end result is all that matters, how it is achieved is irrelevant.

I'm just cynical enough to say no, that the shadiness of the program has less to do with it than perceptions of playing time and chances to win.

Most - work with seniors in high school and most do not decide until April. I’m done now, because with everything you refuse to be able to understand others point of view.
There is tunnel vision and there is MplsGopher vision. (Not to be confused with Aggievision, but similar quality)

UNC has a great class coming in and is building for one more run before Roy retires. Most places miss on many recruits more than they land by numbers alone. I think Kerwin plays there and fills a Cam Johnson/Danny Green role. Hope he chooses here, but not holding my breath.

Thanks for the update. I also got the same read from UNC articles that he would not even be a starter. minimal minutes for his first year.
And with the blue bloods, who knows who they go after on a yearly basis after that. Walton could potentially never land a starting/ key reserve role depending on how UNC's recruiting shakes out.

UNC has a great class coming in and is building for one more run before Roy retires. Most places miss on many recruits more than they land by numbers alone. I think Kerwin plays there and fills a Cam Johnson/Danny Green role. Hope he chooses here, but not holding my breath.

Read that nc has #3 recruiting class. However, weak point of roster is going to be wing scoring. Imagine that is the sales pitch to Walton.

It all comes down to what the individual player wants.

One guy may be happy with being the 6th or 7th-man on a team that might contend for a National Championship, or at least make a big run in the tournament.

Another player might not be happy unless they are the top scorer or close to it for their team. If the team does well, that's a bonus, but the primary concern is personal success.

It depends on what the player is looking to get out of their college experience. A path to an education, or a quick stop before the NBA.

Most - work with seniors in high school and most do not decide until April.
You work with every single student? Nope. You have a limited sample size, and likely a biased sample.

The only way to get an appreciable perception of even an entire school, is via the actual statistics for that school (if they're tracked). And more importantly, actual statistics of all seniors in a given year.

If I end up being wrong fine, but guessing if there were actual statistics for all seniors in the country, they would not look like you're making them out to be.

UNC mod on 247 says Kerwin committed shortly before setting his announcement date. So this one may already be over. We probably shouldn't get our hopes up at this point.

Hope so... The NCAA hasn’t done anything, so hopefully the players and their families will stand up to the cheating. Those schools have gotten rewarded in the past for cheating, it would be nice to see players punish them by staying clear. They can all just rot away in the cesspool they created.

This is a noble idea but one that simply isn't happening. Kids and their families aren't up on that high horse where fans are perched. Arizona churns out terrific classes year in and year out and UNC has a top-5 class this year and generally brings in good (though not elite as often in recent years due to the academic stuff) classes at a high rate.

Players and their families (at that blue chip caliber level we're talking about) go to programs that consistently pump out pros, compete for conference titles, play in huge games regularly and for coaches that have proven then can win and showcase their players' strengths.

So can we please stop hoping players will band together and shun the coaches who have been shady in the past. They aren't doing it. Kids (and yes, I'm generalizing for effect) like big brands. They like attention. Yes, star basketball players are going to get attention wherever, but a star player at Duke, UNC, Arizona or Kentucky is on another level.

Ol' Roy no longer knows north from south but with enough talent, it hardly matters.

Does that mean he knows ?

Adding to it, the UNC Rivals people are saying the same thing. Stranger events have happened but we can reasonably assume this one is wrapped up (but I'd be thrilled if it turns out to be hearsay)

0/5 this year on worthwhile in-state guys. Not fantastic to think about... but Pitino has some significant additions coming in regardless, so now it's up to them to pan out.

UNC mod on 247 says Kerwin committed shortly before setting his announcement date. So this one may already be over. We probably shouldn't get our hopes up at this point.

They're saying he committed to UNC, or just that he committed somewhere in general?

You work with every single student? Nope. You have a limited sample size, and likely a biased sample.

The only way to get an appreciable perception of even an entire school, is via the actual statistics for that school (if they're tracked). And more importantly, actual statistics of all seniors in a given year.

If I end up being wrong fine, but guessing if there were actual statistics for all seniors in the country, they would not look like you're making them out to be.
You really are amazing. I have years and years working in a couple of different high schools, talking with counselors and principals in other high schools, and meeting with college admissions counselor staff for many years. Yes, it is the majority that wait - for all kind of different, individual reasons.

Now, I am done.

.Yes, it is the majority that wait
Until April of senior year?

You’re either lying (hopefully not) or more likely you just don’t have a clue beyond the kids you personally worked with. Which I doubt is even 5% of a senior class, if it’s a metro sized public high school. You have no idea what the actual statistics are, or you would’ve linked to them.

Without the statistics, I’m just as likely to be correct as you are.

Of course.

No senior b-ball player needs time to decide between UNC and the Gophers. He committed as soon as the spot was committable to him.

He was waiting as long as possible in the hopes of not having to go to his safety school.

Good for him, and good luck to him!

Top Bottom