All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

For something that doesn't matter, people keep saying it a lot.
Ok philly, we get it. Quit beating a dead horse over and over. You said who cares how long it takes to make a decision. A couple. Including myself said your right it doesnt matter. Move on!

If anything close to this ends up playing out we're looking at not having sports or a normal life for the foreseeable future.
I don't think that is necessarily true. I would bet that we will have televised sports without crowds...starting with the MLB at some point and then moving on to football and basketball. The good thing about the Morgan Stanley chart is that it has a vaccine by next March...June was previously thought to be the absolute soonest. Antibody tests, instant tests etc. will be game changers.

Last edited:

I didn't realize Walton was making the decision for himself and not me. That changes everything.

I've hit my quota on snark now.

As a UNC fan, I was very much hoping they could land Wertz, and increase the chance the Gophers could get Walton. Now that they still have a scholarship available, I'm concerned. There's a rare opportunity available for a someone who is not a blue chip (by UNC standards) to come in and earn minutes early. They are bringing in good prospects, but they don't have a great group of wing players. He'd have some competition for minutes, but the guys he'd be competing with are not so highly rated that he wouldn't be right in the mix to play.

I am not sure if it is appropriate to ask this question so please feel free to ignore if I am being offensive. How do Tar Heel fans deal with the report of lack of rigorous classes and the subsequent exhoneration? Gophs have certainly had our issue with academics, so am just wondering how most Tar Heel fans are looking at their issue. Has your view of Roy changed at all? Do nc fans feel the allegations were unfair? Maybe it's just in the past and need to move on? Again, dont mean to come across as accusatory and dont want start an attack session, but would be interested in your perspective.

I am not sure if it is appropriate to ask this question so please feel free to ignore if I am being offensive. How do Tar Heel fans deal with the report of lack of rigorous classes and the subsequent exhoneration? Gophs have certainly had our issue with academics, so am just wondering how most Tar Heel fans are looking at their issue. Has your view of Roy changed at all? Do nc fans feel the allegations were unfair? Maybe it's just in the past and need to move on? Again, dont mean to come across as accusatory and dont want start an attack session, but would be interested in your perspective.
Um, this is UNC you're talking about. They just announced they're going to drop their acceptance standards even more, and drop it for anyone and everyone, and keep 'em low for years. One thing's clear with UNC, they don't give a rip about academic standards. A better question that someone else posted, is how do students that transfer from UNC to anywhere else feel about actually having to go to classes and actually do their own work on assignments -- it must come as quite a shock to them.

Um, this is UNC you're talking about. They just announced they're going to drop their acceptance standards even more, and drop it for anyone and everyone, and keep 'em low for years. One thing's clear with UNC, they don't give a rip about academic standards. A better question that someone else posted, is how do students that transfer from UNC to anywhere else feel about actually having to go to classes and actually do their own work on assignments -- it must come as quite a shock to them.
UNC is actually a high end academic institution. They are one of the very top public universities in this country. You can disparage their basketball program but the overall school at large is strong academically

UNC acceptance rate is like 25%. While U of M is at approx 50%. UNC is a very good school and not easy to get into unless you take the fake classes for athletes. Lol.

UNC acceptance rate is like 25%. While U of M is at approx 50%. UNC is a very good school and not easy to get into unless you take the fake classes for athletes. Lol.

Huge east coast influence at UNC. If you are a strong student and wealthy and don't get into the Ivies, Stanford, or Duke, UNC is on your short list. Is it that much BETTER than MN? Nope. Spent time at both.

Huge east coast influence at UNC. If you are a strong student and wealthy and don't get into the Ivies, Stanford, or Duke, UNC is on your short list. Is it that much BETTER than MN? Nope. Spent time at both.

UNC could be the Minnesota of the southeast, academically of course.

UNC is actually a high end academic institution. They are one of the very top public universities in this country. You can disparage their basketball program but the overall school at large is strong academically
No they're not. They claim to be, but that notion ended with the no-show classes. They should have lost their accreditation, but the accreditor is too chicken sh!t to do the right thing.

UNC should have lost their accreditation when the University announced that the bogus classes were acceptable in order to save the athletic program. You can dig up all of the links or rankings that you want, but UNC has NO credibility when it comes to academic standards! The institution made a conscious decision to sellout for athletics.

No they're not. They claim to be, but that notion ended with the no-show classes. They should have lost their accreditation, but the accreditor is too chicken sh!t to do the right thing.
Regardless of your feelings on whether they should have lost their accreditation (for which they actually were put on probation with a tight leash and required to aggressively reorganize and improve oversight), they are widely considered to be among the best public schools. One department with some sham classes for athletes, and was swiftly rectified, does not change that.

Last edited:

I'm probably the wrong Heels fan to ask this kind of stuff to because I largely don't care that much about a lot of the moral things in college hoops. I want the teams I like to win, and I'd rather have them do it without cheating, but I'm not thinking about an academic scandal every time they win a game (which was not very often this past year).

I'd like if it weren't part of the team's history, as it does draw quite a few cheap shots and it has undoubtedly hurt their recruiting efforts in recent years.

I like to think a lot of that stuff has been cleaned up in recent years, but I'm not naive to the idea that they, like many programs, cut corners in places. I still like Roy. I don't think he's an elite coach, and I do think he might have a lot of folks fooled with his 'aw shucks' persona, but I still like him.

Regardless of your feelings on whether they should have lost their accreditation (for which they actually were put on probation with a tight leash and required to aggressively reorganize and improve oversight), they are widely considered to be among the best public schools. One department with some sham classes for athletes, and was swiftly rectified, does not change that.
It wasn't swiftly rectified, it went on for at least 18 years! They got caught and still said it was acceptable according to the administration. Total lack of institutional control.

If a college gives out fake grades and credit for taking courses that have no requirements then it has lost it's integrity as an academic institution. PERIOD! It knew exactly what was going on for all those years and when it got caught it claims that it was an acceptable practice at UNC. UNC sold its soul to keep the athletic department from being punished. They threw all of their students degrees under the bus.

You don't even need to take the SAT or ACT anymore to get into UNC. Of course, you don't need to take any tests while your at school either, so at least they're consistent.

UNC should have lost their accreditation when the University announced that the bogus classes were acceptable for every student in order to save the athletic program. You can dig up all of the links or rankings that you want, but UNC has NO credibility when it comes to academic standards! The institution made a conscious decision to sellout for athletics.
Made it more clear what they went to court and said about their own fine academic institution. UNC = University of No Clue

Cancer researchers at UNC should’ve lost their federal funding because athletes got fake grades?

Never was on the table.

NCAA certainly could’ve come down harder. That’s fine to argue.

Since you brought it up, no, UNC researchers shouldn't have lost their federal funding because all UNC students can get fake grades; but they should and did lose their federal funding because they falsified research. Yet another of the long list of UNC's "Nos decipiat" motto put into practice.

https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20060610/researcher-cited-for-falsifying-lab-results-at-unc

You don't even need to take the SAT or ACT anymore to get into UNC. Of course, you don't need to take any tests while your at school either, so at least they're consistent.
Lmao. That's because they canceled ACT's and SAT's because of covid-19.

Average ACT score UNC-30
Average ACT score UM-28

It wasn't for athletes. Get your story straight. It was for the entire student body. Thousands took those classes.

People usually like to make their decision before senior year. This is not normal as you can look at the top 150. Nothing wrong with it, but not normal.
If you read the whole thread, I was speaking of seniors in general, not athletes. I was pointing out that it seems late because he’s a basketball player, but it’s not abnormal for most kids his age. He may just be having a real hard time with the decision like most seniors do, and is not playing games or waiting for anything. No one knows.

I'm probably the wrong Heels fan to ask this kind of stuff to because I largely don't care that much about a lot of the moral things in college hoops. I want the teams I like to win, and I'd rather have them do it without cheating, but I'm not thinking about an academic scandal every time they win a game (which was not very often this past year).

I'd like if it weren't part of the team's history, as it does draw quite a few cheap shots and it has undoubtedly hurt their recruiting efforts in recent years.

I like to think a lot of that stuff has been cleaned up in recent years, but I'm not naive to the idea that they, like many programs, cut corners in places. I still like Roy. I don't think he's an elite coach, and I do think he might have a lot of folks fooled with his 'aw shucks' persona, but I still like him.

Thanks for responding. Guess I didnt realize recruiting was affected.
However, having multiple favorite teams helps you personally in the KW sweepstakes - odds are forever in your favor :).

UNC should have lost their accreditation when the University announced that the bogus classes were acceptable in order to save the athletic program. You can dig up all of the links or rankings that you want, but UNC has NO credibility when it comes to academic standards! The institution made a conscious decision to sellout for athletics.
Here here!!!!

Arizona was fully expecting to land transfer forward Charles Minlend and move on from Kerwin, but Minlend chose Lousville last night out of nowhere. They weren't even in his top 7. Anything is possible right now.

There are a bizarre range of thoughts on Walton on the UNC 247 board. Some don't think he'd see the floor much his first 2 years, others think he could be one of their best shooters next season. He's not seen as a major contributor from what I can glean.

He'd compete for a starting spot next season with the Gophers, or be one of the first guys off the bench. This will be an interesting race to April 25.

The fluid Covid situation could be enough to tilt his decision toward Minnesota. Just a hunch.

Arizona was fully expecting to land transfer forward Charles Minlend and move on from Kerwin, but Minlend chose Lousville last night out of nowhere. They weren't even in his top 7. Anything is possible right now.

There are a bizarre range of thoughts on Walton on the UNC 247 board. Some don't think he'd see the floor much his first 2 years, others think he could be one of their best shooters next season. He's not seen as a major contributor from what I can glean.

He'd compete for a starting spot next season with the Gophers, or be one of the first guys off the bench. This will be an interesting race to April 25.
Thanks for the update. I also got the same read from UNC articles that he would not even be a starter. minimal minutes for his first year.

Any chance these recruits are dodging NC and AZ for their shadyness? Seems like they've been missing a lot on recruits

Top Bottom