All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

I don't think he's doing this for the attention. I think there is some genuine disagreement or wrestling with a decision. Maybe he has had last second buyer's remorse, or a family member is pressuring him to change his mind, or new information came into the picture recently, who knows.

This is an extremely difficult decision and he is incredibly lucky to have some really good options who have afforded him time to choose. I wouldn't be surprised if he has some kind of analysis paralysis. Honestly I think he can't go wrong with any of those schools.

I'll be absolutely thrilled if he comes here, and good luck to him if he doesn't.

Some people were saying last second schools swooping in ...... but what is going to be extraordinarily more compelling than Arizona and/or North Carolina?? So that doesn't make sense to me.

Arizona and UNC have a scholarship waiting for him.

Maybe he wants to go to Arizona, like his former Hopkins teammate, and his dad wants him to go to UNC.

Maybe those two schools keep coming back with even more "strong ass offers"? Who knows.

My concern at this point is is he going to be all in where ever he decides to go? Is he always going to be watching how the other teams are doing? And if he doesn't get the playing time he thinks he deserves, does he transfer out after 1 year?

From the Hell Tough Blog: It was amazing how quickly things changed on Saturday with each passing hour. After holding a commanding lead for Walton’s services over the last couple of weeks, the Tar Heels entered Saturday neck-and-neck with the home-state Minnesota Golden Gophers. By midday, confidence seemed high that the Tar Heels would be able to land his services, but that changed by early evening, as the Gophers seemed to be the favorite in many minds. As the night wore on the confidence in Minnesota seemed to fade and there was one point around 8:00 PM EST that rumors were saying the Tar Heels had received a silent commitment from Walton and the announcement was coming at some point later in the night. Instead, Arizona seems to have made a push to get themselves back into the running and Minnesota remain solidly in the race.

This all seems like bullshit from a wannabe insider. NC was ahead, then NC and MN were tied, then NC pulled ahead again, then MN became the favorite, then NC got a silent commit, then AZ was back in the running?

I think this guy is just making up narratives to drive clicks. You see the same thing on Twitter where guys with 200-500 followers blindly announce commitments ahead of time, and then they simply erase the wrong tweets so they look like Nostradamus. Such a weird past time.

Where are these last second teams swooping in coming from? And what schools? Sounds like a rumour without substance

My concern at this point is is he going to be all in where ever he decides to go? Is he always going to be watching how the other teams are doing? And if he doesn't get the playing time he thinks he deserves, does he transfer out after 1 year?

That's a real and perhaps high risk for any player. I don't think it's any higher for Kerwin than any other higher end recruit.

Where are these last second teams swooping in coming from? And what schools? Sounds like a rumour without substance

I would not be surprised at all if there were last minute suitors, especially if they get a whiff of him being indecisive on the others. It's happened before, and I bet there are a lot of scholarships available for a well-coached good shooting wing. If we lose out to a "Midnight Lute" on this one, I'll be really torqued off, though. I'm sure the program would be too.

I'm sure Pitino will do the right thing and tell him that Minnesota will always be his home, let them know if something changes, yada yada

I would not be surprised at all if there were last minute suitors, especially if they get a whiff of him being indecisive on the others. It's happened before, and I bet there are a lot of scholarships available for a well-coached good shooting wing. If we lose out to a "Midnight Lute" on this one, I'll be really torqued off, though. I'm sure the program would be too.
Pretty sure Kentucky has all kinds of scholarships available.

Kentucky obviously takes players that get paid through their handlers, though.

I would think the Waltons would not want to be associated with a program that takes players who accept money.

Very unusual. Can anyone recall something like this happening before? In my mind, I imagine Roy and Sean going to bed early last night without a care in the world, knowing they will just move on to the next highly rated recruit. Pitino, on the other hand, staring at his phone knowing what this commitment would mean to the program. Kier/Peterson would also be good options but would be very meaningful from a PR standpoint to get the highly rated Minnesota guy.

I'd rather have Walton than any other option on the table because he is a 4 year play. That said, if I am Pitino, my job is on the line and he knows Kier will take our offer if we give it to him...I'm going with Kier if Walton is not in the house by 1pm. Kier is likely as big of an impact as Walton for next year based on experience. I think, if I am Pitino, I call Kier and say we are giving Walton until 1pm and then you are our man. He cannot walk away from this spring without a quality shooting guard.

If people (coaches) think Walton has the potential to develop into a 5* level player, I guess it makes sense that a bunch of last second "strong ass offers" could've come in.

Kentucky obviously takes players that get paid through their handlers, though.

I would think the Waltons would not want to be associated with a program that takes players who accept money.

Players go to Kentucky because ~30 current NBA players went to Kentucky. Creighton and Arizona are the programs on his list that pay players.

There were some teams that tried to get in on him yesterday. The teams have not been confirmed partly because it isn't known whether Kerwin even took the calls/messages from them or has any interest in adding more programs to an already agonizingly tough decision for him and his family.

I'd rather have Walton than any other option on the table because he is a 4 year play. That said, if I am Pitino, my job is on the line and he knows Kier will take our offer if we give it to him...I'm going with Kier if Walton is not in the house by 1pm. Kier is likely as big of an impact as Walton for next year based on experience. I think, if I am Pitino, I call Kier and say we are giving Walton until 1pm and then you are our man. He cannot walk away from this spring without a quality shooting guard.
?. We have reached the ? or get off the shitter part of this saga.

There were some teams that tried to get in on him yesterday. The teams have not been confirmed partly because it isn't known whether Kerwin even took the calls/messages from them or has any interest in adding more programs to an already agonizingly tough decision for him and his family.

Has this been confirmed or is this speculation?

100% correct. Find guys that want to be here.

Just give me walton or kier today! Let's fill this roster and move forward. Dont want to be trying to find one more tomorrow. I hope kier is waiting on walton, but who knows.

This is an extremely difficult decision and he is incredibly lucky to have some really good options who have afforded him time to choose. I wouldn't be surprised if he has some kind of analysis paralysis. Honestly I think he can't go wrong with any of those schools.

I'll be absolutely thrilled if he comes here, and good luck to him if he doesn't.

Really, it is not that tough. He has several options and all of them are good,he will enjoy playing at any of the schools. A person just has to make a decision, make the most of it and not look back.

would be shocked if Kentucky offered or even inquired. Can not stand Cal but he is a great salesman and does not have to pay players. Walton is not in the class of players that could get money or the kind of kid that would take it.

would be shocked if Kentucky offered or even inquired. Can not stand Cal but he is a great salesman and does not have to pay players. Walton is not in the class of players that could get money or the kind of kid that would take it.

Yes.

Can not stand Cal but he is a great salesman and does not have to pay players.
The players he takes, get paid by 3rd parties, who finance those payments themselves and/or with the help of shoe companies or pro rep companies. And these 3rd parties then tell the players which school to sign with.

Walton is not in the class of players that could get money or the kind of kid that would take it.
Like I said, I've read recently some opinions that think he might develop into a 5* kind of talent that can legit help a program like UNC win a national title.

There must be some truth to that, if UNC is still waiting on him.

And so, at least the part "not in the class of players" could be wrong.

Top Bottom