All Things Jashon Cornell Thread: Cornell commits to Ohio St

Josh Hemboldt of rivals in recent article states Jashon, Justin Hilliard and Malik Jefferson from Texas are very close and often talk about playing for same school. Hillard and Jashon in particular talk often about taking official visits together. Hillard and Jefferson = Top 50 6.0 rival prospects. Look for ND, Michigan and Oklahoma to be major players with Ohio State on the outside looking in at the moment. Hillard plans early commitment during school year to help recruit well before signing day hits. Cornell will give hometown team a look, obviously. Over and out.

I admire your restraint in waiting this long to stroke Notre Dame in a Jashon Cornell thread on a Gophers message board.

I admire your restraint in waiting this long to stroke Notre Dame in a Jashon Cornell thread on a Gophers message board.

Except it was gopher related? Even moreso my post was informative for the gopher fans pining for information relative to the states top rated recruit. Grasping at straws, but you are quite persistent. I'll give you that.

Except it was gopher related? Even moreso my post was informative for the gopher fans pining for information relative to the states top rated recruit. Grasping at straws, but you are quite persistent. I'll give you that.

I never said it was neither Gopher-related nor informative. It is interesting, however, how you're such a self-proclaimed "Gopher fan" and yet your contributions are exclusively to fellate Notre Dame.

So when is ESPN gonna realize this guy is a borderline 4-5* player?

whenever you move in as their talent evaluator, since he is a 98.5 on 247 as well so it's not like ESPN is the only place evaluating him highly

whenever you move in as their talent evaluator, since he is a 98.5 on 247 as well so it's not like ESPN is the only place evaluating him highly

ESPN - #1 Overall
247 - #23 Overall
Scout - #9 DE
Rivals - #87 (#14 DE)

The elementary school style, passive aggressive come backs never get old on this message board of PC goodie goodies.

So when is ESPN gonna realize this guy is a borderline 4-5* player?

well a good chance not for a while since he has already put on 20-30 pounds of good weight this offseason after they updated the rankings.

I never said it was neither Gopher-related nor informative. It is interesting, however, how you're such a self-proclaimed "Gopher fan" and yet your contributions are exclusively to fellate Notre Dame.

:)

ESPN - #1 Overall
247 - #23 Overall
Scout - #9 DE
Rivals - #87 (#14 DE)

The elementary school style, passive aggressive come backs never get old on this message board of PC goodie goodies.

just saying. does it really matter? it's their opinion. It can be as stupid as they want it to be but they obviously must think he's the real deal. to each their own but i'm thinking that despite us all thinking espn sucks comparatively to some of the others, they're not going to change their opinion of him based on what some boards of fans say is all. and after browsing the rankings, he is a 4 star at espn at an 89 overall. but that's currently tops in their junior 300

so he's 265-275 lbs right now at 6'3"? holy...

actually now that i think about it he was probably 245 when they last updated them and he is 260 now in his latest GH interview so he probably has put on 15 pounds or something like that, still a lot though and i would think it would get to 270 by the start of next season, and he is probably closer to 6-4 but i wonder if he would switch to DT eventually like Stelter as 260 as a jr is pretty big

ESPN - #1 Overall
247 - #23 Overall
Scout - #9 DE
Rivals - #87 (#14 DE)

there isn't really a massive difference between #20 and #1 in football recruiting rankings

All Things Jashon Cornell Thread UPDATED 7/16: ESPN ranks him #1 recruit in n...

there isn't really a massive difference between #20 and #1 in football recruiting rankings

Except #1 is 5* and #20 is 4* on rivals.

Isn't Jones pretty close to Cornell? That is another reason we really need to hope Jones qualifies, he could be a huge help in our recruitment of Cornell.

BHMJqFXCcAAfOGM.jpg:large

Dude doesn't look 60+ lbs more than JJ

Why couldn't we have a really athletic mobile 285 pound DE? Why would he have to move to DT if he moves like a DE?

Why can't we be happy that the #1 recruit is at our doorstep? Why must we attempt to bring down his ranking?

Be happy for the kid and hope that a top national recruit stays home to play for us.

All Things Jashon Cornell Thread UPDATED 7/16: ESPN ranks him #1 recruit in n...

I dont care how many stars a kid has. If he is in the top 20, he is a stud. 4* or 5* star, the kid is an elite prospect.

Fair enough. He is just a prime target to be considered a bust nationally if ESPN keeps him rated #1. You better be a top 10 draft pick with that kind of recognition.

Fair enough. He is just a prime target to be considered a bust nationally if ESPN keeps him rated #1. You better be a top 10 draft pick with that kind of recognition.

as long as you are productive and stay out of trouble, i don't really see this as true. Just looking back at the past 5 stars, it isn't overly often you have that happen. I know you're probably just saying it for effect but still. And it just made me curious to look according to ESPN

2008 top 5 players: Bowers, Julio Jones, Will Hill, Terelle Pryor, and AJ Green
2009 top 5 players: Barkley, Te'o, Russell Shepard, Dre Kirkpatrick, Jaccobi McDaniel
2010 top 5 players: Ronald powell, Jackson Jeffcoat, Dominque Easley, Jordan Hicks, Michael Dyer (Seantrel Henderson was 8th)
2011 top 5 players: Clowney, Anthony Johnson, Cyrus Kouandjio, Isaiah Crowell, Karlos Williams

They a half decent job of picking the top guys to produce in college. Seems like most of them who don't work out are injuries/academic casualties. Just food for thought I suppose at this point and hey if he's the next Clowney I'm not going to be too upset at that :D

Why couldn't we have a really athletic mobile 285 pound DE? Why would he have to move to DT if he moves like a DE?
He'll be moved to DT because our defensive system demands a penetrating DT to disrupt opposing offenses. Players that excel as penetrating DT's also project well as 3-4 DE's.

This kind of language doesn't fit when it comes to evaluating recruits. You can be a bust in the draft because when you pick at #3, you get the third player in the draft. So if you pick player A at 3 and he stinks and players B, C, D (picked at 4, 5, 6) all turn out to be great, then you missed your opportunity to land those players thus making player A a bust.

In this situation, a college kid would only be a bust if he wasn't worthy of getting a scholarship and contributing. I can guarantee you that Texas fans would laugh you off their board if you called Jeffcoat a bust and he isn't a first round pick.

This kind of language doesn't fit when it comes to evaluating recruits. You can be a bust in the draft because when you pick at #3, you get the third player in the draft. So if you pick player A at 3 and he stinks and players B, C, D (picked at 4, 5, 6) all turn out to be great, then you missed your opportunity to land those players thus making player A a bust.

In this situation, a college kid would only be a bust if he wasn't worthy of getting a scholarship and contributing. I can guarantee you that Texas fans would laugh you off their board if you called Jeffcoat a bust and he isn't a first round pick.

I agree with this. As far as I'm concern anyone, regardless of ranking out of high school, drafted in the first two or three rounds of the NFL draft had very successful college careers.

How many five-star linebackers panned out over the last 10 years?

Link

Check out the links to previous

i guess you can stay at 285 in the big ten but he would likely be a tackle in the big 12 or pac 12 if he were to put on that type of weight. Arron Donald was a 285 DT and he was the best player in college football this year.

I'm confused as to why everyone is projecting his future weight.........

I suspect it could be due to Hageman. He came here as a TE and kept getting bigger and bigger. Then one day he woke up as a DT. How big a high school player will become in college is the question everybody is trying to answer. Some GopherHolers are making pure guesses while other try to use logic.

I suspect it may be due to what happened to Hageman. He came here as a TE and grew and grew. Then one day he woke up as a DT. How much taller, bigger, and stronger a high school football player will become in college is the question. I believe that is significant factor in how Kill selects recruits. He must have some way of projecting this. Here at the GopherHole some make pure guesses while others try to use logic.

It's because I said he gained 20 pounds of good weight after ESPN kept him at #1 so it would be likely that they would keep him in that spot for a while, and frankly I just think 260 is pretty big for a Jr DE that was only 230 not too long ago

Top Bottom