All Things Isaiah Whitehead Thread UPDATED 9/18: Whitehead to Seton Hall

I posted this somewhere about a month ago, but when the Whitehead recruitment got some serious steam, I checked out the Syracuse board. Everyone there indicated that while they wanted Whitehead, he always seemed very lukewarm on them. Much the way that Tyus has seemed about the Gophers up until the last couple of days. He never says anything bad about them, always includes them in the mix, but never spoke of the team in particularly enthusiastic terms. I think that Newton liked Syracuse, but they had their eyes on Kaleb Joseph the whole time and when that package fell apart and Newton went to Miami, that probably hurt Syracuse with Whitehead.

Or maybe it's the sleeping Boeheim pic that's all over the Internet. LOL

That's hard to believe, but wow. We'll see if that holds true ... SU has seemed like the favorite all along.

As for IU and Whitehead, watch the Robert Johnson visit, which I believe is this weekend. If Johnson commits to IU that's gotta help us, but UNC is after him too. (If Blackmon hadn't decommitted from IU you've gotta think Whitehead wouldn't be in play at all for them... they only offered Whitehead after Blackmon decommitted).

I believe Indiana is still recruiting Blackmon, and on Rivals he's listed as having high interest in Indiana and medium in all the other schools that have offered him, so I think there's still a good chance Blackmon ends up at Indiana.

Also, on 247 Kyle Goblirsch, the same guy who has been talking to Buckles lately, predicted Whitehead to Minnesota about half an hour ago. Matt Gravett, another Gopher guy, predicted Whitehead to Indiana about 80 minutes ago.

So this pretty much just spurted up a couple hours ago!?! Man I love social Media!! :D

Not sure if this one made it to the thread yet. It's his junior-year, highlight reel.

The first minute is the most jam-packed, thrill-inducing, ride of your lifetime. Buckle up, people.

Getting Whitehead would be every bit as good as getting Vaughn if not better since it would signify that the younger Pitino is a force to be reckon with in NE recruiting.

Getting Whitehead would be every bit as good as getting Vaughn if not better since it would signify that the younger Pitino is a force to be reckon with in NE recruiting.

This might be WAY out of left field, but it was a thought I had.

I know Vaughn has said he wants to sign in the spring, but I remember seeing an interview where he said if he felt the right fit, he wouldn't be opposed to signing in the fall.

If he sees us signing top talent like Nairn and Macura early, and Whitehead looks very interested in us, is there any chance he may look at committing earlier to us if he is truly interested? Either way, I would take Whitehead or Vaughn in a heartbeat, but just a thought. He seems to be impressed with Pitino and interested in staying home.

Nick Jones (@NJonesScout) tweeted at 8:41 AM on Wed, Aug 21, 2013:2014 SG Isaiah Whitehead will take official visits to IU, Minnesota, UCLA, and possibly Seton Hall @ScoutMedia http://t.co/JvP4tL5BGU

I'm not sure if Seton Hall is a real threat but this is why it's tough to know for sure if we have a realistic shot at Whitehead. Seems like he's constantly changing his mind.

I'm going to check out the Syrabuse board right now, and jerry Meyer has changed his prediction of whitehead from cuse to Minny, back to cuse and now back to us

Nick Jones (@NJonesScout) tweeted at 8:41 AM on Wed, Aug 21, 2013:2014 SG Isaiah Whitehead will take official visits to IU, Minnesota, UCLA, and possibly Seton Hall @ScoutMedia http://t.co/JvP4tL5BGU

I'm not sure if Seton Hall is a real threat but this is why it's tough to know for sure if we have a realistic shot at Whitehead. Seems like he's constantly changing his mind.

Seton Hall got a commitment from Delgado a top 100 PF, could be part of the reason they are getting a look, and they are local.

Goodness if we grabbed him and Tum Tum I think I might go into shock.

It looks like cuse fans have acknowledged the fact that they won't get whitehead, it seems they ran out of scholarships after the Joseph commitment and /or Joseph committing lured him away since Joseph is a bit of a combo guard and would play the same role, they are very confident in landing Goodluck Okonoboh

I think Whitehead has near limitless potential. He has elite vision and dribbling. He has near elite athleticism and is a good shooter. He has the tools to be an NBA all-star, but it is up to him to work for it,

I think Vaughn is a better pure 2-guard, but I think Whitehead has more potential. I really want Whitehead to come here.

I think Whitehead has near limitless potential. He has elite vision and dribbling. He has near elite athleticism and is a good shooter. He has the tools to be an NBA all-star, but it is up to him to work for it,

I think Vaughn is a better pure 2-guard, but I think Whitehead has more potential. I really want Whitehead to come here.

I disagree on the comparison of the two especially the "more potential" portion as I think Vaughn is a D Wade type talent in that he has the body and the ability to shoot with multiple defenders on him.

Either way, the second one of them calls and said "I'm in" you take him in a heart beat doesn't matter if it effects the other or not.

In regards to Indiana being a threat, keep an eye on Robert Johnson. He is a 4-star SG taking an official to Indiana this weekend and it's currently his only official scheduled. If he commits it could have an effect on Whitehead. Whitehead may not care since he's a higher ranked player, but you never know. Also, the last 5 crystal ball predictions for Johnson have him going to Indiana.

http://247sports.com/Player/Robert-Johnson-33746/PlayerInstitutionPredictions

I disagree on the comparison of the two especially the "more potential" portion as I think Vaughn is a D Wade type talent in that he has the body and the ability to shoot with multiple defenders on him.

Either way, the second one of them calls and said "I'm in" you take him in a heart beat doesn't matter if it effects the other or not.

If Whitehead decided to commit do you rescind the offer to Macura to wait on Vaughn, or keep the offer to Macura and if he commits give up on Vaughn, I don't think they could possibly take all three, they really need a big man and PG in this class.

If Whitehead decided to commit do you rescind the offer to Macura to wait on Vaughn, or keep the offer to Macura and if he commits give up on Vaughn, I don't think they could possibly take all three, they really need a big man and PG in this class.

Don't think Vaughn would want to come here if we signed Whitehead. I'd keep the offer to Macura for sure.

Don't think Vaughn would want to come here if we signed Whitehead. I'd keep the offer to Macura for sure.

I definitely agree that they should keep the offer to Macura even if Whitehead signs. But I'm not sure that this would impact Vaughn. If he waits to sign until next April, he won't have the luxury of having multiple schools w/o other high level recruits already signed, particularly given the schools he is considering. Vaughn must know that by waiting he will be competing against the likes of Whitehead, etc. Pretty sure he will get on the court regardless of where he plays.

I definitely agree that they should keep the offer to Macura even if Whitehead signs. But I'm not sure that this would impact Vaughn. If he waits to sign until next April, he won't have the luxury of having multiple schools w/o other high level recruits already signed, particularly given the schools he is considering. Vaughn must know that by waiting he will be competing against the likes of Whitehead, etc. Pretty sure he will get on the court regardless of where he plays.

I don't think it's a matter of whether or not he will get on the court, but rather how much will he have the ball in his hands and how many shots will he get? Whitehead being here would reduce both for Vaughn.

With the quality of players we have offered and the amount of open scholarships we have for next year, Pitino takes anyone that says yes that we currently offered to unless we have say 3 of the same position committing...

I don't think it's a matter of whether or not he will get on the court, but rather how much will he have the ball in his hands and how many shots will he get? Whitehead being here would reduce both for Vaughn.

I don't disagree with you, but he will most certainly have the same problem if he goes to Kentucky/North Carolina/or others. If his decision was purely based on showcasing his skills for one year, he would probably be wise to go to a smaller profile school. Hard to say.

and we have the added problem of not being Kentucky/North Carolina or others.
Exactly we aren't those schools. The big-time appeal, for top recruits, to go to Minnesota would be getting plenty of touches, right away, in one of the best conferences in college basketball. You take away that aspect away, we are recruiting head to head against the blue-bloods based on things like coaching, getting guys to the NBA, and recent success. We would lose that battle. I would love to have a Hollins/Vaughn/Whitehead backcourt in 2014, but the chances are very small we could get both guys to play here. I'd be ecstatic if either one of those two signs here.

I don't disagree with you, but he will most certainly have the same problem if he goes to Kentucky/North Carolina/or others. If his decision was purely based on showcasing his skills for one year, he would probably be wise to go to a smaller profile school. Hard to say.

The thing is though, he also wants to be surrounded by other talented players so who knows. I think a lineup could feature both Rashad and Whitehead though at the 2 and 3. That's talent around him for sure.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>There is no longer mutual interest between Syracuse and Isaiah Whitehead, sources confirm to <a href="https://twitter.com/SNYtv">@SNYtv</a></p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/370333128285761536">August 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If the Gophers were lucky to get Isaiah Whitehead, you still go after Rashad Vaughn and JP Macura. In the type of 4out/5out offense that Coach Pitino is going to run, with the full court pressing and hectic man-man defense, "THE" Minnesota is going to need as many talented players that they can get. Look at last years Michigan team with Burke/Hardaway/Rice/Robinson, etc... they all seemed to get many minutes and touches. My opinion, lets get them all.

If the Gophers were lucky to get Isaiah Whitehead, you still go after Rashad Vaughn and JP Macura. In the type of 4out/5out offense that Coach Pitino is going to run, with the full court pressing and hectic man-man defense, "THE" Minnesota is going to need as many talented players that they can get. Look at last years Michigan team with Burke/Hardaway/Rice/Robinson, etc... they all seemed to get many minutes and touches. My opinion, lets get them all.

Only issue with that is you either wouldn't have enough scholarships for a PG and PF, or you would have to kick someone off the team, which I'm not really fond of.

Gophers on the rise, you are right. With 4 scholarships available, go after 2 of the 3 (we would be so lucky to get two of them) and then land a point guard (Tyus, Josh, Tum Tum) and then of course, you get Reid Travis.

Disagree. Vaughn has far better NBA potential imo. Whitehead is smaller & would be a bit undersized 6'4", where as Vaughn is a prototype 2 guard at the NBA level. Physically he's ready to play in the NBA right now. The thought of Dre Hollins at PG as a Sr. with Vaughn at SG as a likely one 'n' done Fr. is exciting stuff.

Top Bottom