All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

The report comes off as us being in the rearview for this kid. Time will tell.
Will there even be a spot for him available after Ola-Joseph’s visit next week? They seem like similar players to me.

I try my best to not look at * rankings but I'm just going to admit I am very nervous about some of the guys and the level we are recruiting at. Ola-Joseph has the likes of Cal Poly and Loyola after him. Only P5 offer seems to be Clemson. Zeigler's list looks even worse as we are fighting off the powers of NJIT Manhattan and New Mexico state. Again I know rankings may not be the end all be all, especially this last cycle with covid, but man this is a nervous time. We go from guys like Tre/King/Heide to...fending off bottom feeder mid major teams. I know thats the coaches job to find talent and not worry about * rankings but not sure how as a casual fan that cant at least make you a bit worried.

I try my best to not look at * rankings but I'm just going to admit I am very nervous about some of the guys and the level we are recruiting at. Ola-Joseph has the likes of Cal Poly and Loyola after him. Only P5 offer seems to be Clemson. Zeigler's list looks even worse as we are fighting off the powers of NJIT Manhattan and New Mexico state. Again I know rankings may not be the end all be all, especially this last cycle with covid, but man this is a nervous time. We go from guys like Tre/King/Heide to...fending off bottom feeder mid major teams. I know thats the coaches job to find talent and not worry about * rankings but not sure how as a casual fan that cant at least make you a bit worried.
You have missed a couple it appears. Ola Joseph also has an A&M offer. Zeigler has BC and Tennessee. I guess we have to trust the coaches to evaluate. How did Jelly Fam go?

Rankings are so off because they didn't get to see the kids as juniors. Many were seen this summer and you'll see some adjustments. The offers is so weird this year too because of the extra covid year kids were given. Almost have to trust coach evals this year as the other data is unreliable.

You have missed a couple it appears. Ola Joseph also has an A&M offer. Zeigler has BC and Tennessee. I guess we have to trust the coaches to evaluate. How did Jelly Fam go?
Plus Loyola is legit. Their success in the last 10 years trounces ours, and they've had success with some high level recruits.

Jelly Fam had worse offers than Mckinley.

Ziegler has offers from Boston College, Wichita State, and Tennessee as well. And Ola-Joseph also has Texas A&M and Colorado State. His first offer came from Loyola - a program that the U wishes it was the last few years. Payne has less offers than both yet we have all seen and heard that he has been dominant and is considered the second best player in the state.

Zeigler’s size worries me when I think of him going up against a bigger PG in the Big Ten like Tre but I’ll trust the staff in their evaluation of both players. So no - not nervous all things considered.

I just was looking at the 24-7 page so yah I guess not sure how reliable any of those sites are but thats what I saw.

100% agree, * ratings are never a guarantee of success, but by that same token if you take 100 4* guys and 100 2* guys, I am willing to bet a far greater majority of the 4* guys had good/great careers as the 2* guys. There will always be exceptions, but over the long run having a higher ranked guy works out better. Totally understand that its on the coaches to put in their own evals, thats what they are paid for, but then its also fair to criticize them on misses.

but then its also fair to criticize them on misses.
And in this case, we won’t know until 3-4 years down the line whether we get to criticize the staff for their current evaluations or not.

Carrington's commitment has definitely injected some real hope for this class. Needs at least 3 sold recruits for the class to start building on something great. The next 2-3 months should be very interesting and encouraging if things fall into place as we would hope.
Adding Ola-Joseph, Payne, and a PG would IMO be a real good start. Get these guys in the program, start developing them, and then build from there.

Transfers drastically change needs and look of teams instantly. Get the kids that want to be gophers first and foremost and tweak along the way. I think Johnson is setting a good 1st class/base for 2022.

I just was looking at the 24-7 page so yah I guess not sure how reliable any of those sites are but thats what I saw.

100% agree, * ratings are never a guarantee of success, but by that same token if you take 100 4* guys and 100 2* guys, I am willing to bet a far greater majority of the 4* guys had good/great careers as the 2* guys. There will always be exceptions, but over the long run having a higher ranked guy works out better. Totally understand that its on the coaches to put in their own evals, thats what they are paid for, but then its also fair to criticize them on misses.
I don’t know a lot of Zakai Ziegler. However, he did go off in Peach Jam vs the best team.

Team Final, that features Jalen Duren, Emoni Bates, and Derrick Lively, the top
3 players in the country, lost to Ziegler’s team.

if you google Ziegler and Peach Jam you can see the ridicolous game he put up.

While this is only 1 data point, I used to know both Ben Johnson and Thorson; I doubt they’d only use one game.

Moreover, They were also early identifiers of Rowan Brumbaugh whom is ranked higher now than Tre, by some rankings.

Transfers drastically change needs and look of teams instantly. Get the kids that want to be gophers first and foremost and tweak along the way. I think Johnson is setting a good 1st class/base for 2022.
If he gets the three or equivalents- he has passed that threshold you mention . Not until then. I like the Carrington start.

If he gets the three or equivalents- he has passed that threshold you mention . Not until then. I like the Carrington start.
It'd be nice to get these next 2 relatively soon so he can push the attention elsewhere to try and add 1 or 2 more decent guys instead of falling to last resorts. Though Pitino always did alright in the Spring. Though I don't know if Ben wants to make that a habit or will operate that way...

I don’t know a lot of Zakai Ziegler. However, he did go off in Peach Jam vs the best team.

Team Final, that features Jalen Duren, Emoni Bates, and Derrick Lively, the top
3 players in the country, lost to Ziegler’s team.

if you google Ziegler and Peach Jam you can see the ridicolous game he put up.

While this is only 1 data point, I used to know both Ben Johnson and Thorson; I doubt they’d only use one game.

Moreover, They were also early identifiers of Rowan Brumbaugh whom is ranked higher now than Tre, by some rankings.

Not that we had a shot at him, but we were one of the first majors to offer...

Jaden Schutt is another that we were in on early, and now he has blown up. Believe he has a Duke offer. Can’t be mad at their talent evaluation so far.
The talent eval portion is very promising! I guess if you want to go the other way, we ID'd Rowan early, offered him early, he had very little interest initially, and despite that we did not make his top 6 while Northwestern/Maryland did. That said, with the likes of Texas/Ore/KU in there we arent getting him anyway but the point remains.

The talent eval portion is very promising! I guess if you want to go the other way, we ID'd Rowan early, offered him early, he had very little interest initially, and despite that we did not make his top 6 while Northwestern/Maryland did. That said, with the likes of Texas/Ore/KU in there we arent getting him anyway but the point remains.
Good observation. They're identifying people before they blow up. It's a very encouraging sign, and it's a great way to get good recruits who wouldn't typically give us much thought.

If he had very little interest, then it is not a surprise that he didn't put us in his top 6.

If he had very little interest, then it is not a surprise that he didn't put us in his top 6.
Well we were able to get him on campus for an official visit late in June....but since then he got his Texas, Maryland, Kansas offers. And his Oregon offer came after he scheduled his official to us.

so there was some interest. But he clearly moved on after the visit.

Well we were able to get him on campus for an official visit late in June....but since then he got his Texas, Maryland, Kansas offers. And his Oregon offer came after he scheduled his official to us.

so there was some interest. But he clearly moved on after the visit.
And at the time, they were still full steam ahead on Tre. They chased him around to AAU events for a month and who knows if the MN coaches ever saw Rowan or made him a priority during that same open period. Not a surprise we are not in the top 6.

And at the time, they were still full steam ahead on Tre. They chased him around to AAU events for a month and who knows if the MN coaches ever saw Rowan or made him a priority during that same open period. Not a surprise we are not in the top 6.
Sure, but you dont think KU/Tex/Ore/MD werent also recruiting other guys hard at his position? Again, a ton of props to the staff, they have absolutely targeted some under the radar kids who blew up, that is a spectacular sign of a good staff. But to just totally disregard that its not good that despite a visit and early interest he doesnt have us on his list at all is not right either. You can say there are people on here who are only negative, which is true, but you do not seem to want to every acknowledge any misstep this staff makes. Part of recruiting is finding the players, the other part is convincing a kid who might not have a ton of initial interest to change their mind and consider us. We appear to have been acing step 1 of that, but step 2 has clearly not come to fruition yet. I understand its early but that needs to improve.

Top Bottom