All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

A solid and realistic class could be MN kids Carrington, Payne, Ola-Joseph. Then go out-state to get PG Pierre. Add a 4 star like Jameel Brown or Colin Smith and it's game on.
That’s be fantastic! Any of those kids you mention have an offer from WI? No? Why is that? It is as tho they look for a totally different kind of basketball player cuz these kids have what it takes to win Big Ten championships.

I haven't been hearing much lately about Ahjany Lee on this board. Are the Gophers still in on him?

I haven't been hearing much lately about Ahjany Lee on this board. Are the Gophers still in on him?

he struggled a bit in late June early July....but played really well in his last couple tourneys. He has a ton of potential

I think a front court of Lee and Payne would work really well together down the road

Lee to me is just like Watson. If we got him there would be some that say YES MN KID HUGE UPSIDE MASSIVE GET! and some would be meh. If we miss, the first group would say "no he had a bad year we didnt want him" and the 2nd group would be WELL THERE GOES ANOTHER MN KID WE DIDNT GET! Pretty fickle group in here ha. We need a thread where posters go on record if they want a kid or not =). Heck even Tre, suddenly there are a group of posters who think he is terrible and has no shot at MSU, I am willing to guess if he had said the U they would say he would be the next coming of Chris Paul.

Lee to me is just like Watson. If we got him there would be some that say YES MN KID HUGE UPSIDE MASSIVE GET! and some would be meh. If we miss, the first group would say "no he had a bad year we didnt want him" and the 2nd group would be WELL THERE GOES ANOTHER MN KID WE DIDNT GET! Pretty fickle group in here ha. We need a thread where posters go on record if they want a kid or not =). Heck even Tre, suddenly there are a group of posters who think he is terrible and has no shot at MSU, I am willing to guess if he had said the U they would say he would be the next coming of Chris Paul.
lol that would be an interesting thread

That’s be fantastic! Any of those kids you mention have an offer from WI? No? Why is that? It is as tho they look for a totally different kind of basketball player cuz these kids have what it takes to win Big Ten championships.
Remind me again what Wisconsin has to do with anything...

I wanted Tre, disappointed he went elsewhere, but not going to lose sleep.

I'll be excited by new commit and not worried about ones that decide to go elsewhere

Even if they do, so what? Your point is that WI likes white suburban basketball players and the U likes African American/urban basketball players. Purdue/Illinois/Michigan/Michigan State seem to recruit a lot of urban type of basketball players and they win Big 10 Championships.

So even if your point is accurate, so what? Do you think we can't win with recruiting urban players? If you think we can, why discuss this on every thread? We all get it, you've observed this trend.

Even if they do, so what? Your point is that WI likes white suburban basketball players and the U likes African American/urban basketball players. Purdue/Illinois/Michigan/Michigan State seem to recruit a lot of urban type of basketball players and they win Big 10 Championships.

So even if your point is accurate, so what? Do you think we can't win with recruiting urban players? If you think we can, why discuss this on every thread? We all get it, you've observed this trend.
But what about black suburban players?

he's a troll, put him on ignore and save yourself effort, helped me out

Granted i did it because he tried to turn any thread on football into dogging on Leidner

Good idea for the thread. But I think you are over reacting to some of the comments about Tre. No one says that Tre is terrible, just that he seems to show a little attitude. As for MSU, it is a fact that he will have two young PG’s ahead of him on the roster. One that just transferred in to be the starter and a freshman that was higher ranked. Of course Tre has a very good shot of playing at MSU, but it may take a couple of years before he is “the guy”. It is obvious that he would have been “the guy” from the first game at the U. It is not bashing him because he didn’t stay home, it is just making an evaluation of the situation that he picked.

For a guy like Holloman who has been a two-sport athlete in HS, one of the questions as far as evaluating is - is there more upside to be found if/when he devotes all of his attention and off-season work to one sport?

so, you have to factor in the potential for additional development. As good as Suggs was in HS, I think he did show more growth at college when he was playing basketball 24/7.

Good idea for the thread. But I think you are over reacting to some of the comments about Tre. No one says that Tre is terrible, just that he seems to show a little attitude. As for MSU, it is a fact that he will have two young PG’s ahead of him on the roster. One that just transferred in to be the starter and a freshman that was higher ranked. Of course Tre has a very good shot of playing at MSU, but it may take a couple of years before he is “the guy”. It is obvious that he would have been “the guy” from the first game at the U. It is not bashing him because he didn’t stay home, it is just making an evaluation of the situation that he picked.
And his defense isn't the best.

Exactly. Everyone loved Tre, especially the staff. Tough nosed, tenacious, great court sense.

Last edited:

But what about black suburban players?
Lol yeah not a lot of gophers coming from the cities recently. Alexandria, Edina, Hopkins, Woodbury, Orono, Austin, Rochester....very urban! I guess if they went to school at DLS or Cretin that half counts?

Jarvis Johnson was the last gopher actually listed as from Minneapolis and he didn't even play a game. The last time a player from Minneapolis or St. Paul actually played was 2012-2013 with Mbakwe and Chris Halvorson from St. Paul and Joe Coleman, Rodney, and Andre Ingram from Minneapolis.

Last edited:

Lol yeah not a lot of gophers coming from the cities recently. Alexandria, Edina, Hopkins, Woodbury, Orono, Austin, Rochester....very urban! I guess if they went to school at DLS or Cretin that half counts?

Jarvis Johnson was the last gopher actually listed as from Minneapolis and he didn't even play a game. The last time a player from Minneapolis or St. Paul actually played was 2012-2013 with Mbakwe and Chris Halvorson from St. Paul and Joe Coleman, Rodney, and Andre Ingram from Minneapolis.
Thought Jarvis lived in Brooklyn Park or Center actually as well.

Remind us again why you dont say boo when others cite WI over and over and over and over....
Because when others do it:

A) It's not just WI mentioned, and
B) It's not ALWAYS about race.

FRAUD.

Top Bottom