All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Sure, but you dont think KU/Tex/Ore/MD werent also recruiting other guys hard at his position? Again, a ton of props to the staff, they have absolutely targeted some under the radar kids who blew up, that is a spectacular sign of a good staff. But to just totally disregard that its not good that despite a visit and early interest he doesnt have us on his list at all is not right either. You can say there are people on here who are only negative, which is true, but you do not seem to want to every acknowledge any misstep this staff makes. Part of recruiting is finding the players, the other part is convincing a kid who might not have a ton of initial interest to change their mind and consider us. We appear to have been acing step 1 of that, but step 2 has clearly not come to fruition yet. I understand its early but that needs to improve.
The problem for us is that the top kids want it all if they can get it:
1.Winning record for the program
2.Coaching staff relationship
3. Coaching staff track record
4. Facilities
5. Campus setting/weather/surroundings
6. Post grad opportunity

We can check some of the boxes if our coaches build a great relationship. The facilities are solid- other than the fact that the kids might not get the Barn. Weather is tough and the campus setting is urban- some will like that and some not. Post grad opportunities are good here. The obvious issues are #1, #3 and for some #5. Until more of those are solved, getting kids under the radar and developing them better than other do is going to have to be the ticket.

Sure, but you dont think KU/Tex/Ore/MD werent also recruiting other guys hard at his position? Again, a ton of props to the staff, they have absolutely targeted some under the radar kids who blew up, that is a spectacular sign of a good staff. But to just totally disregard that its not good that despite a visit and early interest he doesnt have us on his list at all is not right either. You can say there are people on here who are only negative, which is true, but you do not seem to want to every acknowledge any misstep this staff makes. Part of recruiting is finding the players, the other part is convincing a kid who might not have a ton of initial interest to change their mind and consider us. We appear to have been acing step 1 of that, but step 2 has clearly not come to fruition yet. I understand its early but that needs to improve.
well, I think for some recruits MN will need to show more on court success too, which is why I think it'll take Ben and staff some time

We're asking recruits too:

-Trust a new staff with no prior HC experience
-join a program without much recent success. Our best tourney run was the 2nd round, where we got killed.
-have an outdated arena
-normal challenges of recruiting kids to an urban campus

A lot of leaps of faith for year 1

so what are the positives?

Ben has 7 of maybe 35 or 40 2022 schollies available in the big ten?
about 100 5th year transfers, so there's fewer seats available for freshmen?
best ice fishing in Div 1?

still wondering why the F500 HQs don't buy the program more notice. I mean Cook Medical in Bloomington IN is like a magnet for careers after BBall for IU

When you identify and offer early you have a chance they will commit early. Most wait for better offers but once in awhile the player cares who was early and often. Dave Thorson sees things that other people can not see. He knows about intangibles like court sense,propriorception , when skills trump talent, leadership qualities, the value of calm assertive behavior, grades, what is a kid like at school, what kind of family etc....

This staff has gotten in early on some kids (Hausen from Texas, Dunn from New York are two) but Brumbaugh isn't an example of that. Wisconsin offered him in January and a number of other high majors offered before the Gophers did. I do not get the "not like we had a chance" line when his final list of schools includes Northwestern and Miami...come on have SOME standards. I do think their is a lot of relevance to the Holloman recruitment and where they are with Brumbaugh. They were making Tre a priority and Brumbaugh is narrowing down his list and I would assume wanted to be someone's main pg/ballhandler recruit which the Gophers couldn't offer until a few days ago.

This staff has gotten in early on some kids (Hausen from Texas, Dunn from New York are two) but Brumbaugh isn't an example of that. Wisconsin offered him in January and a number of other high majors offered before the Gophers did. I do not get the "not like we had a chance" line when his final list of schools includes Northwestern and Miami...come on have SOME standards. I do think their is a lot of relevance to the Holloman recruitment and where they are with Brumbaugh. They were making Tre a priority and Brumbaugh is narrowing down his list and I would assume wanted to be someone's main pg/ballhandler recruit which the Gophers couldn't offer until a few days ago.
Yup....when you have 0 PG's on the roster for next year and you only had so few offers out to PG's in this class tells me they were 100% all in on getting Tre.
we seem to be in a decent spot for both Pierre and the recent official visitor in Zieglar....but will be interesting what they do with that spot. Also still seem to be high on Browns list but he is more combo guard then lead guard....would still be a very solid add

Huge week next week for BJ and staff. JOJ and Payne both taking officials next week.

JOJ- 18th-19th
Payne- 21st-23rd

Both players would be nice additions and solidify a solid MN class for year 1 of the BJ tenure.

Huge week next week for BJ and staff. JOJ and Payne both taking officials next week.

JOJ- 18th-19th
Payne- 21st-23rd

Both players would be nice additions and solidify a solid MN class for year 1 of the BJ tenure.
Wow.....lets get this done!

would be a very solid start for his 1st class....and then they can turn their attention to getting a PG

Wow.....lets get this done!

would be a very solid start for his 1st class....and then they can turn their attention to getting a PG
I agree, I would be very happy with this class so far if we can pin down JOJ and Payne. I’ve got a good feeling about both!

Sorry everyone.

Updated dates.

JOJ- August 25th
Payne- As stated previously, August 21st-23rd.

Get Payne sealed up and then JOJ should be a shoe in.

Brumbaugh? Never heard of him but if WI is interested I am going to make a logical guess.

NW has a very high academic reputation, that might matter to some, Miami might be an interesting location in of itself to some. Wild guesses

NW has a very high academic reputation, that might matter to some, Miami might be an interesting location in of itself to some. Wild guesses
Are we really going to pretend Miami isn't a better basketball program than us?

Are we really going to pretend Miami isn't a better basketball program than us?
Maybe the better question is: what are the P5 schools that no question have had worse worse basketball programs than we have the last X years? I'm sure there are some.

Nebraska?

Probably a handful of P5 schools. I can't imagine why the coach isn't landing top 100 kids from out of state.
That is also why this is a tough job for a newbie coach..... They are either going to have to get lucky with Ben or pay big money the next time to a guy who sells on his own name.

That is also why this is a tough job for a newbie coach..... They are either going to have to get lucky with Ben or pay big money the next time to a guy who sells on his own name.
That's largely true. I also don't think it's as easy as offer someone a large check and they will come. 20 years of being average/bad has consequences.

That's largely true. I also don't think it's as easy as offer someone a large check and they will come. 20 years of being average/bad has consequences.
It's not easy but if they really wanted to win more than they wanted to satisfy PC concerns- I guarantee you there were boosters out there willing to help write that check. You have to make sacrifices and be willing to invest to win. Winning at sports is not seen as a priority by the U. I admit that the whole sports system is screwed up but it is what it is now and sports will elevate an institution. It's great marketing.

This is not a knock on Johnson- I REALLY like him and his staff. That said, it is going to be tough because he has no track record and he comes into this situation. Locals are rooting for him- no doubt. But they may well be concerned that kids coming here may not win early in their careers and that takes a special type of kid to overcome those fears. It looks like Carrington is that kind of young man and I hope Payne and Ola Joseph are as well. That group could make the ball start to roll down hill just a bit- making it easier for additional recruits to believe in the future here!

well, I think for some recruits MN will need to show more on court success too, which is why I think it'll take Ben and staff some time

We're asking recruits too:

-Trust a new staff with no prior HC experience
-join a program without much recent success. Our best tourney run was the 2nd round, where we got killed.
-have an outdated arena
-normal challenges of recruiting kids to an urban campus

A lot of leaps of faith for year 1
It is a fckg B1G program with a chance to play on national TV against some of the best players in the country.

Just give it a rest….

It is a fckg B1G program with a chance to play on national TV against some of the best players in the country.

Just give it a rest….
Sure, that discounts everything I said.

It's shame Ben, Pitino, Tubby, Monson, just kept turning down all these top recruits trying to go to MN instead and focused on lesser known guys

Just being realistic here.

I know, lets fire a coach every year until we get one that gets #1 recruiting class and wins the B1G their first year, we'll eventually find one that can do that, right?

Top Bottom