All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

No positive comments about the ola Joseph offer. Interesting.

No comments period. Based on that, kid must not be a priority. Like Watson?
I like it. Good for him. He has had himself a very nice summer and has clearly earned some nice offers. And I think he, like Watson, have a ton of potential at the college level. But clearly the priorities of this class have been Guards and payne.

They really got it cuz they are Minnesota guys? Minnesotans are nuts.

They were referencing Ben Johnson and Dave Thorson.....and pointing out how much different the relationships to high school programs are with those two are compared with Pitino and his staff. I know it's kind of your deal to be a smarta#% and say stupid stuff....but I thought some people might want to know what high school coaches from successful programs are saying.

MSU versus Gophers? Really no comparison at this time. Izzo has the all the goods but BJ’s cart is basically empty. Can’t blame a kid wanting to be a part of a recognized established program.
Other MN kids will either have a strong desire to stay home or want to be a part of rebuilding or follow the lead of many other top rated MN players and say no thanks, adios.

MSU versus Gophers? Really no comparison at this time. Izzo has the all the goods but BJ’s cart is basically empty. Can’t blame a kid wanting to be a part of a recognized established program.
Other MN kids will either have a strong desire to stay home or want to be a part of rebuilding or follow the lead of many other top rated MN players and say no thanks, adios.
Just another spoke in the wheel of an old cart with a broken-down horse that will soon be put out to pasture versus being one of the wheels that builds the new cart.

MSU has a starting PG the just transferred in as a Sophomore, they have a new freshman PG that was higher rated than Tre. There is serious questions as to how long it will be for Tre to get meaningful playing time.

Last edited:

Just another spoke in the wheel of an old cart with a broken-down horse that will soon be put out to pasture versus being one of the wheels that builds the new cart.

MSU has a starting PG the just transferred in as a Sophomore, they have a new freshman PG that was higher rated than Tre. There is serious questions as to how long it will be for Tre to get meaningful playing time.
Or maybe IZZO is playing two point guards like UVA does or Tre wants to win now at a much bigger basketball brand school for a hall of fame coach. Maybe he likes going against high level players in practice everyday to become better himself. So many factors. All his hard work paved the way for his wide range of choices.

It will be interesting to follow his career - which we will have to as we’ll end up playing him once or twice a year. Maybe he’s someone that Izzo sees stepping in from day 1 ahead of the other three PGs when he gets there next year. I know all these kids (and in this case his mom as well!) think very highly of their abilities and I thought one of these things he was looking for was early playing time, but we’ll see.

Or maybe IZZO is playing two point guards like UVA does or Tre wants to win now at a much bigger basketball brand school for a hall of fame coach. Maybe he likes going against high level players in practice everyday to become better himself. So many factors. All his hard work paved the way for his wide range of choices.
There are many different scenarios. It would be nice to have the luxury to load up at point guard.

The point was that there will be two established PG's at MSU (a junior and a Sophomore) when Tre steps on campus. Tre would have to be a phenom in order to get much playing time during his first two years at MSU! I would have my doubts that Izo will still be the coach by the time he works his way into meaningful court time.

Adding Holloman would have been nice, but I never expected him to commit to to Minnesota. Not all is lost though, I think they are still looking good with Pharrel Payne, Ahjany Lee & Joshua Ola-Joseph. Along with Carrington, that would be a nice haul of in state recruits.

Thanks, not sure how a "Pharrel Payne Rivals" search would miss that.

Odd how this Sean Williams guy is a Vandy and Mizzou expert and he is putting in a FutureCast for Payne. Maybe because St. Louis offered?
Looks like he has some connection to us though. If you look at his previous crystal balls he’s predicted several of our fb and bb commits correctly within a day of them becoming official… hope this means a Payne commit comes in the next 24 hours.

Yeah, I did notice that. It looked like the only BB prediction was Carrington, at least in the most recent ones.

I think Payne said he wants to do an official this fall, so I guess I'm skeptical it will happen soon. But, he can always commit now and still do the official later if he's pretty confident in his decision.

DJ Jefferson of Minnesota Prep has committed to Tulsa! One of the top 2022 prospects in MN

Looks like he has some connection to us though. If you look at his previous crystal balls he’s predicted several of our fb and bb commits correctly within a day of them becoming official… hope this means a Payne commit comes in the next 24 hours.
The crystal ball from Sean Williams was dated 8/5, though ...

qo7zkf1.png

I found that odd as well. I haven’t see him play at all. Is he someone who kind of fell off and had more steam before? I don’t know much about this kid.
Minnesota Prep is a bit of an odd program, and they bring kids in from all over to play. Not sure where DJ is from originally but perhaps he has connections to that region.

Minnesota Prep is a bit of an odd program, and they bring kids in from all over to play. Not sure where DJ is from originally but perhaps he has connections to that region.
Just looked...originally from Texas

Thanks, not sure how a "Pharrel Payne Rivals" search would miss that.

Odd how this Sean Williams guy is a Vandy and Mizzou expert and he is putting in a FutureCast for Payne. Maybe because St. Louis offered?
Looks like he does work for Vandy and Mizzo mainly, but then also has Minnesota and Western Kentucky under his profile. Interesting bunch.

Always nice to get those crystal balls. There not a lock but it makes me believe more in the way we talk about how these guys are coming here on this forum haha

Payne has been a guy that I know some of the more trusted posters on here (IMO) have said they feel good about coming to the U

I found that odd as well. I haven’t see him play at all. Is he someone who kind of fell off and had more steam before? I don’t know much about this kid.
Frank Haith is a strong recruiter, been in violation often. Not unusual for grades to play a serious role. Some offers get pulled as spots are taken. We can never get the full story unless you know the family or those involved.

Looks like he does work for Vandy and Mizzo mainly, but then also has Minnesota and Western Kentucky under his profile. Interesting bunch.

Always nice to get those crystal balls. There not a lock but it makes me believe more in the way we talk about how these guys are coming here on this forum haha

Payne has been a guy that I know some of the more trusted posters on here (IMO) have said they feel good about coming to the U
I like him a lot but not as much as James sells him. Local kids get a huge bump from James which i have no problem with but keep in perspective. I read a advance report on Payne this morning and he got a great seal more specific about the true level of ranked players he went against. He is young so of course he has holes or he would be gathering top shelf interest. Great upside.

I like him a lot but not as much as James sells him. Local kids get a huge bump from James which i have no problem with but keep in perspective. I read a advance report on Payne this morning and he got a great seal more specific about the true level of ranked players he went against. He is young so of course he has holes or he would be gathering top shelf interest. Great upside.
James has him as next Willie Burton

Frank Haith is a strong recruiter, been in violation often. Not unusual for grades to play a serious role. Some offers get pulled as spots are taken. We can never get the full story unless you know the family or those involved.
Thanks built, yeah I suppose it’s tough to know what his real options were.

Thanks for the insight, appreciate it.

Top Bottom