All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Have to imagine Johnson is feeling pretty confident. Here’s to hoping this is the first domino

He’s on an official visit right now, you gotta think he’s coming here right?

It's a pipe dream, but if we get Tre, Phayne and use rest on transfers/jucos to help even out classes, I would be thrilled
Yep, I think a class of Tre, Payne, and Carrington is an A+ offseason and I would be absolutely giddy. I would be pretty pumped up with any class that had Carrington and Payne.

Those three players would be such good fits together too. I think Tre and Payne will be All Big 10 caliber defensive players and Carrington is just such a savvy and smooth offensive player.

Yep, I think a class of Tre, Payne, and Carrington is an A+ offseason and I would be absolutely giddy. I would be pretty pumped up with any class that had Carrington and Payne.

Those three players would be such good fits together too. I think Tre and Payne will be All Big 10 caliber defensive players and Carrington is just such a savvy and smooth offensive player.
I'm starting to let myself believe it's actually possible, but I'm not sure Tre is even 50% MN, we might be chasing, but I wonder if getting Carrington and Payne will help convince him to stay home too.

But MSU wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Haven't followed recruiting as closely this year, Payne and Holloman would be awesome to get. Anyone know who the potential out of state recruits are that we would want/could realistically sign?

The fit piece is a great point. They would compliment each other as players so well.

Don’t know what to think about Tre yet. Glad to have Braeden on board to help influence. Glad to see his connection with other Gopher players like Parker Fox. Get him on an official visit and see where it falls. Tre not coming to MN wouldn’t be for lack of effort from Ben and staff.

I already like this kid! Its no sure fire bet that Carrington gets other kids to come here, but its cool that hes all in and is putting in that work. Recruiting/talking to others isnt everyones thing, but it certainly can't hurt.

It's a pipe dream, but if we get Tre, Payne and use rest on transfers/jucos to help even out classes, I would be thrilled
This. A couple of more top150 kids and gotta get lucky on a juco and we could at least be competitive in a few years.

GopherHole Q&A: Carrington Details Gophers Commitment and Pride for Minnesota!

Gopher Hole: You committed to Minnesota. What was the main reason that you decided that homestate school was the right fit for you?

Braeden Carrington: It was nothing like any other school. From the head coach to every assistant coach, they were always showing the same amount of love. Not every school was doing that, so to me, it was just special that every coach was showing me the same type of love that the head coach was. It’s the hometown school, so that just added onto the decision and when I walked into Williams Arena on my visit Tuesday and I thought “This is beautiful and I could see myself playing here for however many years, 4, 2, whatever.

GopherHole: You are the first high school player to commit to new head coach Ben Johnson. Is that a special feeling knowing that you are the first commit that he got?

Braeden Carrington: They have been saying that they want to build around me and I’m like the foundation for high school players. If they see me come in, they might think Ben Johnson can really win here, really start a good team and have a good future here.”

GopherHole: You are also the first Minnesota commit from the state as well. Does that make it even more special since Coach Johnson has made getting the top local players to stay home a priority?

Braeden Carrington: Yes. He definitely made me a priority. It’s nice knowing that he is really trying to focus on getting Minnesota kids. Once he can lock down a few, he can go outstate and try to get more. It just shows that he really loves the state and he is starting to show love and giving back to his old team. It’s nice because you have the whole city behind your back. I had fans texting me, so it’s nice knowing that everybody thinks it’s a good decision too, not just me.

Full Q&A here: https://gopherhole.com/carrington-details-gophers-commitment-and-pride-for-minnesota/

Haven't followed recruiting as closely this year, Payne and Holloman would be awesome to get. Anyone know who the potential out of state recruits are that we would want/could realistically sign?
Names to keep an eye on....
PG-need 2 recruits/transfers
-Tre Holloman(4*)....obviously the big dog of the group. Hes at the top of Bens list. And his domino will have a big impact on other PG's on this list. come on Tre be like Carrington!
-Jayden Peere (NR) on 247 yet. He will be a high 3 star. Said he plans to take official here in September
-Zakai Ziegler (NR). Just took an official this week here.
-If Tre breaks out hearts and goes elsewhere we will be hitting other PG's hard. But like i said we need 2 PG's for next year. So i hope they continue to connect with Peere as a PG class of Tre and Peere would be a homerun.

SG-Carrington already on boar(whoop whoop) but still need one more.
-Jameel Brown (4*) already taken an official here. Former Purdue Commit. Penn State is the other school high on his list.
-Brenden Hausen (3*) Has mentioned a few times that he plans to take an official here in September. One of the top shooters in the class
-BB Knight (NR) Riser. Another guy who has said he plans to visit in September
-Conner Essegian (NR) just here on an unofficial visit. Has received offers from MN, Wisconsin, Butler, & Wake Forest in the last couple weeks.
-Denzel Aberdeen(NR) & Daniel Skillings(NR) are recent offers as well. Both of these guys have very solid offer lists as well

SF/PF-interesting position with Battle, Ihnen, & Fox. Take 2 at this position.
-Ahjany Lee PF (3*) MN kid. Had great spring. Struggled early in the summer. Played well to finish the summer. Has some big names after him. Really have no idea which schools he is a take for right now. But i really like his upside and potential.
-Colin Smith PF (4*) Nice offer list. Has said MN will be his first official visit. So good! would be a heck of a get.
-Danny Wolf PF(NR) has already taken official visit here. Havent hear much steam on him lately.
-Jasen Green SF/PF (3*) Gophers seemed to be after him hard. Ben seems to like position flexibility and he would be perfect for that. I thought i have heard he plans to take an official here.
-Ryan Dunn SF (3*) We were one of his first offers. Hopefully that puts us in a decent spot to get a visit from. have seen him listed as SG & SF so has some position flexibility as well.

PF/C-Surprised we arent hitting this position harder.
-Pharrel Payne (NR) but he will be. Hes clearly at the top of Bens list as well. Perfect bruiser type post player who has shown in the AAU circuit he can play with high major talent! Need him!
-Cameron Corhen C (3*) recent offer. Face up big man.
-Christian Reeves C (NR) another recent offer. 7 footer. high upside guy whos top offers are MN and South Carolina

Other MN Guys at least onthe Radar.
-Josh Ola-Joseph SF (NR) has picked up some nice offers rolling in. Im a bit surprised MN hasnt offered but maybe they will when other dominos start to fall?
-Elvis Nnaji PF (3*)....has an offer from Marquette. I honestly havent seen him play much so dont have a ton of info.
-Prince Aligbe PF (4*)....seems to be all over the place. lots of offers from very good programs but not from MN? not sure which offers are commitable for him.

will be interesting to see how many freshman they take in this go around.

Names to keep an eye on....
PG-need 2 recruits/transfers
-Tre Holloman(4*)....obviously the big dog of the group. Hes at the top of Bens list. And his domino will have a big impact on other PG's on this list. come on Tre be like Carrington!
-Jayden Peere (NR) on 247 yet. He will be a high 3 star. Said he plans to take official here in September
-Zakai Ziegler (NR). Just took an official this week here.
-If Tre breaks out hearts and goes elsewhere we will be hitting other PG's hard. But like i said we need 2 PG's for next year. So i hope they continue to connect with Peere as a PG class of Tre and Peere would be a homerun.

SG-Carrington already on boar(whoop whoop) but still need one more.
-Jameel Brown (4*) already taken an official here. Former Purdue Commit. Penn State is the other school high on his list.
-Brenden Hausen (3*) Has mentioned a few times that he plans to take an official here in September. One of the top shooters in the class
-BB Knight (NR) Riser. Another guy who has said he plans to visit in September
-Conner Essegian (NR) just here on an unofficial visit. Has received offers from MN, Wisconsin, Butler, & Wake Forest in the last couple weeks.
-Denzel Aberdeen(NR) & Daniel Skillings(NR) are recent offers as well. Both of these guys have very solid offer lists as well

SF/PF-interesting position with Battle, Ihnen, & Fox. Take 2 at this position.
-Ahjany Lee PF (3*) MN kid. Had great spring. Struggled early in the summer. Played well to finish the summer. Has some big names after him. Really have no idea which schools he is a take for right now. But i really like his upside and potential.
-Colin Smith PF (4*) Nice offer list. Has said MN will be his first official visit. So good! would be a heck of a get.
-Danny Wolf PF(NR) has already taken official visit here. Havent hear much steam on him lately.
-Jasen Green SF/PF (3*) Gophers seemed to be after him hard. Ben seems to like position flexibility and he would be perfect for that. I thought i have heard he plans to take an official here.
-Ryan Dunn SF (3*) We were one of his first offers. Hopefully that puts us in a decent spot to get a visit from. have seen him listed as SG & SF so has some position flexibility as well.

PF/C-Surprised we arent hitting this position harder.
-Pharrel Payne (NR) but he will be. Hes clearly at the top of Bens list as well. Perfect bruiser type post player who has shown in the AAU circuit he can play with high major talent! Need him!
-Cameron Corhen C (3*) recent offer. Face up big man.
-Christian Reeves C (NR) another recent offer. 7 footer. high upside guy whos top offers are MN and South Carolina

Other MN Guys at least onthe Radar.
-Josh Ola-Joseph SF (NR) has picked up some nice offers rolling in. Im a bit surprised MN hasnt offered but maybe they will when other dominos start to fall?
-Elvis Nnaji PF (3*)....has an offer from Marquette. I honestly havent seen him play much so dont have a ton of info.
-Prince Aligbe PF (4*)....seems to be all over the place. lots of offers from very good programs but not from MN? not sure which offers are commitable for him.

will be interesting to see how many freshman they take in this go around.
Nice list. I’d put Fox in the PF/C which is why I think you don’t see us pursue a ton more than Payne. We have Thompson as for depth at the 5. My guess is we take for prep recruits we take 1 PG, 1 combo guard, 1 C, and one who can play either the 3 or 4 or both like Battle. Then we take a grad transfer PG, grad transfer back up center (similar to Daniels), and a transfer guard/wing.

Nice list. I’d put Fox in the PF/C which is why I think you don’t see us pursue a ton more than Payne. We have Thompson as for depth at the 5. My guess is we take for prep recruits we take 1 PG, 1 combo guard, 1 C, and one who can play either the 3 or 4 or both like Battle. Then we take a grad transfer PG, grad transfer back up center (similar to Daniels), and a transfer guard/wing.
Great summary! Thanks! If I'm Ben- I take 5 frosh if I can get 5 quality kids that fit. Usually one doesn't work out or gets hurt and we will need at least 4 for 22-23 season for significant minutes.

Great summary! Thanks! If I'm Ben- I take 5 frosh if I can get 5 quality kids that fit. Usually one doesn't work out or gets hurt and we will need at least 4 for 22-23 season for significant minutes.
I would agree. I know it’s been stated they are looking at 4 from the 2022 class, but have to imagine if they have a 5th that has some position versatility, they would bring them in as well.

I would love to see them get one of Colin Smith or Jasen Green.

Top Bottom