All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Brady Helgren put in some high level performances in his final AAU tournament with Minnesota Fury! 6'9 2022 PF shot the ball at a high level and was making plays in the paint at the Hard Work Region Finals @BradyHelgren @PHCircuit https://t.co/P7gVhOV9ze

Depending on what soon means, this might not be a good thing. Was hoping to at least see him take an official before deciding.

If I’m Ben I’m already on the phone with Pierre letting him know he’s #1 on the board right now
And try to get him in for a visit as soon as possible.

I think now you stick with one PG in the 2022 class and find a high quality transfer for next year that can lead the team. I think Tre would have been that starting PG from day 1, but not sure Pierre or Ziegler are the same. Also wonder where Jameel Brown fits in. But he’s more a CG.

And try to get him in for a visit as soon as possible.

I think now you stick with one PG in the 2022 class and find a high quality transfer for next year that can lead the team. I think Tre would have been that starting PG from day 1, but not sure Pierre or Ziegler are the same.
Right, and know we can shift our lofty gopher expectations to Taison Chatman. Ben will get about 2 years to build a great relationship with him and get him in here. If I can remember correctly when the blackout period ended Ben called him at midnight.

Right, and know we can shift our lofty gopher expectations to Taison Chatman. Ben will get about 2 years to build a great relationship with him and get him in here. If I can remember correctly when the blackout period ended Ben called him at midnight.
He did. Ryan James has always said that if Tre chose MN, you can say goodbye to any chance with Chatman. Well, now the full court press should be on with Chatman and you are probably selling the same ideas. Hopefully he is more receptive.

So, was listening to Doogie do one of his "scoops" segments on Skor North. On Gopher basketball recruiting, he said "The Gophers did not want Demarion Watson." Said Watson had an offer at one point, but after the summer, the Gopher coaches decided to go in other directions. Also - stating the obvious - Doogie said that Payne is now the #1 target for the Gophers after getting the commit from Carrington.

If Payne had no one else to consider, he'd probably commit by now. Right? Why not? Carrington did, and he even had a visit scheduled to Colorado for later this month that I assume he has cancelled.

Clearly, Payne has others that he also wants to consider. Texas A&M, for example. I doubt there won't be other P5 that catch on.

It will be on Ben to go out and win this. Impress his socks off on the official visit.

I believe he can get it done!

Depending on what soon means, this might not be a good thing. Was hoping to at least see him take an official before deciding.

Trejuan Holloman, a four-star point guard from Minnesota, announced his commitment to the Spartans on Saturday afternoon.

“I chose Michigan State because I felt me and coach Izzo have the best relationship,” Holloman told On3. “I loved the campus and I felt like it was a place where I can live. I liked all the players, too. They are all cool, funny guys. They are teammates that I would want to play with.”

Not a surprise there.

Sorry but come on. When is the last time a 4* or 5* kid from the Twin Cities, who had an offer to an elite program out of state, stuck with the Gophers in football or men's basketball?

Doesn't happen often.

Best of luck to Tre. Remember: the door is wide open for you to transfer back home, if that times comes!!

Not a surprise there.

Sorry but come on. When is the last time a 4* or 5* kid from the Twin Cities, who had an offer to an elite program out of state, stuck with the Gophers in football or men's basketball?

Doesn't happen often.

Best of luck to Tre. Remember: the door is wide open for you to transfer back home, if that times comes!!
Depending on how much you trust the recruiting profiles, Oturu had a Kansas offer, and Carrington had a Florida offer. Granted I think both of those programs just throw out a lot of scholarship offers and aren’t diligently recruiting every single player they offer, and Carrington hasn’t been rated yet, but maybe has a chance at getting a low 4 star rating. Coffey had offers from Arizona, Texas, Michigan State. Treyton Thompson had an offer from Chris Beard at Texas Tech, which I think would have come after their national championship game appearance, but that’s another one where I don’t think we really butted heads with Texas Tech in the recruitment and Thompson just kinda committed here, and committed early too.

So we’ve gotten some players with offers from good programs, but I’m sure we’ve gone head to head against them for a recruit we were both prioritizing and won very often. I thought Coffey had a visit scheduled to Texas and canceled around the time he committed here.

Dawson Garcia, Reid Travis, and Rashad Vaughn all had offers from elite programs I believe (may be misremembering on Vaughn) and committed to non-elite teams, even though it wasn’t Minnesota.

I hardly follow football recruiting at all anymore, but didn’t Blaise Andries have some nice offers?

Got to notice the lack of interest legacy recruits have for the U . Holman is a good recruit but he certainly isn’t a make or break guy for the staff. If he was from elsewhere he’d be just another decent prospect.

Depending on how much you trust the recruiting profiles, Oturu had a Kansas offer, and Carrington had a Florida offer. Granted I think both of those programs just throw out a lot of scholarship offers and aren’t diligently recruiting every single player they offer, and Carrington hasn’t been rated yet, but maybe has a chance at getting a low 4 star rating. Coffey had offers from Arizona, Texas, Michigan State. Treyton Thompson had an offer from Chris Beard at Texas Tech, which I think would have come after their national championship game appearance, but that’s another one where I don’t think we really butted heads with Texas Tech in the recruitment and Thompson just kinda committed here, and committed early too.

So we’ve gotten some players with offers from good programs, but I’m sure we’ve gone head to head against them for a recruit we were both prioritizing and won very often. I thought Coffey had a visit scheduled to Texas and canceled around the time he committed here.

Dawson Garcia, Reid Travis, and Rashad Vaughn all had offers from elite programs I believe (may be misremembering on Vaughn) and committed to non-elite teams, even though it wasn’t Minnesota.

I hardly follow football recruiting at all anymore, but didn’t Blaise Andries have some nice offers?
We will get the kids that prioritize staying home. Build a winner and you slowly but surely attract better players. Those guys will recognize your culture, no matter where they come from.Find the guys that you can lose with that stay together. Those guys will win together by year 3 or 4. That can be built upon as the foundation will be solid and then what you build is sustainable.

Got to notice the lack of interest legacy recruits have for the U . Holman is a good recruit but he certainly isn’t a make or break guy for the staff. If he was from elsewhere he’d be just another decent prospect.
Wow. Backyard kid.

Just my opinion but he is far more than a decent prospect. MSU sees him as a Mateen C. type, so did we.

Just my opinion but he is far more than a decent prospect. MSU sees him as a Mateen C. type, so did we.
You could be right. Doesn’t appear to be a good shooter as of now. Of course they told him he would be a Mateen C type. Maybe an Al Nolan type.

It's a bummer, but that's recruiting. From what I know it wasn't for lack of effort from MN.

Ben isn't going to build this overnight.

It's a bummer, but that's recruiting. From what I know it wasn't for lack of effort from MN.

Ben isn't going to build this overnight.
Agree. They did all they could. Congrats to Tre for getting the chance he wanted. Even at my age i am very patient and love watching how we are going about building.

No positive comments about the ola Joseph offer. Interesting.

No comments period. Based on that, kid must not be a priority. Like Watson?

So I went golfing with a couple of high school coaches....or coaching staffs a couple of weeks ago. Afterwards while having a drink the topics of some of their young prospects, the Gophers and Ben Johnson came up. One head coach made the comment that he really liked Ben Johnson and his staff and he really hoped that he would be successful at the U. Previously he had never seemed to be much a fan of the Gophers. He made the comment that the new staff really got it because they are Minnesota guys and it was totally different from Pitino and his staff. Tre's name also came up and they didn't think he would go to the U....but interestingly they weren't sure if he was at the level that some people were saying he is at....maybe that was just in comparison to Suggs or 5 star PGs.

Anyway, while I'm disappointed we didn't get Tre Holloman....I'm confident we are going to have a very good class in 22. Sometimes things happen for a reason and not getting Holloman will allow us to get someone who will fit in with us better.

Top Bottom