All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

A thought on players "not looking as good."

AAU is not the same as HS basketball. HS games tend to be played within the school's system and are generally more structured. AAU games in general are a little less structured and a bit more free-flowing.

Because not all players are the same (Shocking idea!), some players may look better in a more structured HS game, while other players may look better in the AAU environment.

In the end, it all depends on what the college is looking for. A coach that plays a more structured style may put more weight on how a player does with his HS team. A coach that plays a more wide-open style may put more weight on how a player does with his AAU team.
Or high school competition is a lot weaker because kids with no scholarship offers and no plans to play beyond high school are playing. Top tier AAU teams play other top tier teams. Cream rises quickly. Lots of kids look good in high school against inferior players

Or high school competition is a lot weaker because kids with no scholarship offers and no plans to play beyond high school are playing. Top tier AAU teams play other top tier teams. Cream rises quickly. Lots of kids look good in high school against inferior players
Really important to scout both. AAU provides the competition but the high schools provide more of intangibles like teammates, family, relationships.

giphy.gif

True. Of course, there is a very significant third segment: the national prep scene. This one doesn't seem to be on the radar as much for Minnesota basketball fans because the state has only 3 boarding schools and only one of them (Shattuck-St. Marys) competes at a high level in sports but that sport is hockey. Boarding preps frequently attract players from all over the world and some of them play at the highest levels of competition possible for secondary school players.

Although the traditional high school gives the lowest level of competition among the three, it's probably the best place to a middling program for discovering emerging talented players and recruiting them early. If you wait until some of these players go to elite preps, you're no longer at the front of the line, at least for the better players.

FUD! Not really tho. I hope we are hear saying that Oregon is trying to poach away Ben following the u bball team being in the final four. U should place me on ignore.

I'm not expecting a serious answer, but this is a serious question. Are you actually a Gophers fan?

Thinking prep schools will become the normal for more kids every year, They will probably sell kids on getting them endorsements also,

No matter what happens, the U of MN will field a Men's basketball team.

One way or another, the coaches will find somebody who wants to - or is willing to - wear a Gopher uniform.

And then we will see the results.

I guess for me, it comes down to this. I look at sports as entertainment. Just like the stickers they used to put on pinball machines: "For Amusement purposes only."

I am a Gopher Fan. I hope the team does well. Ben Johnson is the Gopher coach. However he got there, he is the Coach and I hope he does well.

I visit this site for (hopefully) information on Gopher teams. I don't obsess about it. In the bigger scheme of things, it's just not worth getting bent out of shape over.

One way or another, the coaches will find somebody who wants to - or is willing to - wear a Gopher uniform.

I guess for me, it comes down to this. I look at sports as entertainment. Just like the stickers they used to put on pinball machines: "For Amusement purposes only."

I am a Gopher Fan. I hope the team does well. Ben Johnson is the Gopher coach. However he got there, he is the Coach and I hope he does well.

I visit this site for (hopefully) information on Gopher teams. I don't obsess about it. In the bigger scheme of things, it's just not worth getting bent out of shape over.
Simply fielding a team is the goal. Oh boy

100% to all of this.

Have to imagine Ben Johnson wants a commit more than anyone on this board or in the fan base. It will come. And I really hope it is Pharrel Payne seeing Ryan James tweets about him today. What a player.

Did Payne schedule an official with us? I thought I read something about that, but can’t find it anywhere.

Carrington has one tomorrow I think, maybe you were thinking of that? I know Payne has visited before, but don’t remember if it was official.
That’s probably what I was thinking of.

Simply fielding a team is the goal. Oh boy
as opposed to not fielding a team, yes.

The critics make it seem as if no one is ever going to commit and the U will have to cancel the program. Well, it's not going to happen that way.

Somebody will accept a scholarship and there will be a Gopher Men's basketball team. I don't know who will be on the team. I don't know what the record will be. But there will be a team. That is all that I'm saying.

as opposed to not fielding a team, yes.

The critics make it seem as if no one is ever going to commit and the U will have to cancel the program. Well, it's not going to happen that way.

Somebody will accept a scholarship and there will be a Gopher Men's basketball team. I don't know who will be on the team. I don't know what the record will be. But there will be a team. That is all that I'm saying.
The bar has hit rock bottom

Top Bottom