All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

For what it’s worth, I think Lipsey was a Pitino target. Not sure Johnson was ever interested.
Correct Johnson chose other targets because it was pretty well known he was an ISU lean and unlike Heide he wasn’t even interested in taking an unofficial here. Ben went all in on Tre when he first got hired.

The EYBL and Adidas circuits, for example are very structured leagues with pretty good coaching and the competition is leaps and bounds better than anything you'd see at the high school level.
But do they play structured, system basketball?

Or is it a “show off” league, for kids to display their raw athletic ability and bball skills?

Is I believe the point he is getting at.

since he supposedly had a really bad summer.
Yeah I keep seeing that passed off. No idea what it actually means ... or how much it actually matters in AAU style basketball, vs. the system we plan to run here (defense?).

I'm going to go on record to say that Spaulding will be planting Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt next year at the same time.
All of it goes away if we just get something to happen. So far, nothing has happened that's major and in the good direction.

Just waiting for that first major good thing, whatever it is and whenever it will happen ......

I'd be shocked if we wouldn't have taken King if he wanted to come here. Not sure about Watson since he supposedly had a really bad summer.

Many seem to always forget that it does take two to tango. I guarantee you we probably take both if they actually wanted to be here. It's ok for a kid to want something different. It's when the kid wants to be here (Garcia the first go around, Wright, etc...) and chooses not to that we should worry.

Last edited:

All of it goes away if we just get something to happen. So far, nothing has happened that's major and in the good direction.

Just waiting for that first major good thing, whatever it is and whenever it will happen ......
These are the same discussions from last year and the year before (and the year before). Generally, they are with the same posters.

My Prediction is that they will keep complaining until we get another coach. Then... they will keep complaining.

I'm going to go on record to say that Spaulding will be planting Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt next year at the same time.
FUD! Not really tho. I hope we are hear saying that Oregon is trying to poach away Ben following the u bball team being in the final four. U should place me on ignore.

i feel bad for posters who think that better recruits are coming even tho lesser recruits said ‘no thanks.’
There has to be someone willing to be the first one.

I feel like right now they're all saying "but no one else has committed there yet, I'm not going first!". Someone has to step up and be that guy.

There's no prime mover, yet. No major target has stepped up to be that first guy so far, and it's not likely we're going to have a really great season in 21-22 that impresses recruits and convinces them to commit.

Something has to be that prime mover.

Those prime players are bonfide. It’s Lebron, Bird or Reggie White type of players that are able to do that…..
building a successful college basketball program can start with finding a Joe Harris, a Mike Kelly, A Eric Harris. You find guys that way out perform their ranking that meet all your values. You sell the vision, you improve and attract better players. Sounds easy.Really difficult but if you unearth the right coach, the few gifted builders then you can do it. No one knows if Ben is that guy but he is made up of the right stuff.

With the drafting of players from the G-League the better players may opt not to go to college.

That is the point.
No. The point isn’t about getting the very best of all time. And NBA stars recruiting other top free agents isn’t that much, at all, like what is being talked about here.
College coaches need to be able to land that first recruit that is a tier above their normal. If you usually get 2-stars, then that guy might only be a 3-star, but he’s better than you have landed in the past. We’ve been a 3-star, average power 6 program. Landing a 4- or 5-star player is seen as a breakthrough that you will start getting better athletes. When it comes to local athletes, you are hoping that the first stud commit can convince the next ones that your school can be a good choice. That’s what we hoped would happen when Pitino landed Coffey. But, other than Oturu, we never got any momentum out of it. If Ben convinces Tre to stay home, it has the potential to have ongoing benefits, especially since he has no track record to sell.

Top Bottom