All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

would be nice to see a commit from any of these guys. we have a bunch of slots to fill with the current empty spots plus 4 players listed as seniors this year as well.
I think we have at least one in the next 2 weeks. 2 by August.

It is nice to hear positivity for the 2022 class. Seems like Ben has been active and getting after it, along with the assistants. 2021 means nothing as this is a full rebuild. I'm gaining optimism for the class he brings in for 2022.

as others have said....hopefully in the next week or so we have 1 or 2 commited.

Love it! Would love to get a commitment from Payne next week.

Brumbaugh the plan B to Tre or would they take both? Can’t imagine you want to slow play him, but also don’t want to push Tre to MSU if he truly is up in the air between MN and MSU.

I wonder if the Brown and Brumbaugh visits get Carrington to decide soon.
Doubt in our position we slow play anyone. Two points guards, multiple wings doesn’t matter. Good players with good character I got to believe is the plan. I’m hopefully Payne commits soon and gets recruiting rolling.

Bring the Payne.
Well this is always encouraging...

GopherHole: I know that you are starting to hear from some schools. What schools are you hearing from the most right now?

Pharrel Payne: Schools I’m hearing from the most, obviously, Loyola. They offered me. I’m hearing from Colorado, and St. Louis the most.

GopherHole: Are you hearing from the homestate school, Minnesota yet?

Pharrel Payne: I’ve heard a little bit from Minnesota. They’ve checked in with me to see how I’m doing.

Edit: This helps a lot

GopherHole: You received an offer from Minnesota the other day. What was that like?

Pharrel Payne: It was great. Definitely a great experience because the Gophers are one of my dream schools. It feels great to have an offer from them.

So Minnesota gets the unofficial and the other 5 get an official?
that's what it would feel like, though i can't say it seems like some of those other schools we've heard a ton about in Tre's recruiting

Walton. Holmgren. Holloman.

Same old song and dance. "Top 6". "Final 3". "Ballcap on the table at the selection show".
Holloman and Holmgren isn’t even close to the same type of comparasion. Walton could be ranking wise, but their is a new staff who’s working harder than the past one. Let’s see what happens first

Maybe that would’ve mattered for Garcia, picking between Marquette and Gophers and supposed wanted to stay home.

But between Gopher and Mich State (don’t know how strong his desire to stay home is). I don’t see why it should go down differently than Walton.

Regardless, I’m sure all agree BJ and maybe more importantly DT are trying as hard as they can. Good luck to them (captain obvious)

Holloman and Holmgren isn’t even close to the same type of comparasion. Walton could be ranking wise, but their is a new staff who’s working harder than the past one. Let’s see what happens first
Same thing was said about Pitino when he took over from Tubby. I’ll believe it when I see some results.

Same thing was said about Pitino when he took over from Tubby. I’ll believe it when I see some results.
You can work as hard as you want... If you don't get the results it doesn't matter...
So far (it's early in the new regime) but it hasn't been good. Hopefully a few things transpire quickly and this program gets a pulse...

I am not sure where the happy balance is of how hard to recruit a player. I do recall reading a book some years ago about the Portland Trailblazer season in the late 1970's or maybe 1980 or so (David Halberstram?) and the players on the team talking about their college recruitment experiences. Lionel Hollins (Austin Hollins' dad, but of course I didn't know about that at the time) went to Arizona State, but he was talking with the other two or three players in the conversation about how persistent Bill Musselman was as a recruiter. A coupla of the other players (Maurice Lucas maybe, who went to Marquette) were like "Oh God. The Mussel. Yeah. The Mussel. He was soemthing else - always on the ohone, begging, pleading. You gotta come play for me in Minnesota" So maybe he overdid it I don't know. But it was real fun reading/hearing about a GOPHER Coach who was a tireless recruiter, rather than hearing stories from folks tangentailly around the program who talk or write about "a lack of recruiting energy" in the program we love........

You can work as hard as you want... If you don't get the results it doesn't matter...
So far (it's early in the new regime) but it hasn't been good. Hopefully a few things transpire quickly and this program gets a pulse...
Can you tell me what 'hasn't been good?' King and Heide committing elsewhere despite the obvious personal connections to staff and school respectively? What additional examples do you have? Can you tell me what your expectations are? I just don't understand your motivation.

Why do you think results were bad? Do you think it had anything to do with poor relationship building? I’m not saying I loved the hire or he will be successful, but maybe 10-15% of the 2022 class has committed and the portal for this year will see a little bump again. At least wait until September to start saying the results are bad or not going well. If come September and this roster has no new additions and we have no commitments, I’ll gladly jump aboard the panic train.

I never heard it about Pitino. I heard it about his staff (Ben Johnson....). Results will be what matters though in the end sure.

Top Bottom