All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

I am very pessimistic with this program right now.. it's never been lower in my lifetime... We literally are starting a DII/DIII roster.... 9 wins is not feasible for me yet...

Get garcia... And we can talk about this more
No, you are being ridiculous.

It is like you missed your flight to Vegas and then not understanding that when you get on the next plane it will still take 3 hrs to fly to Vegas.

And many of us have supported the program for over 50 years, so sit down show some manners and patience.
Then the U should of acknowledged the mess, and not sold us on Ben being this amazing recruiter who is going to keep instate kids home... (That was the ONLY selling point outside of him being a mn guy)
I don't think any of us pessimists want ben to fail... In fact just the opposite. However we are allowed to complain as much as we want. That's the great thing about message boards. It gives us a platform to express our displeasure with that state of the program. Ben has such a mountain to climb... Not saying he can't/wont climb to the peak...
For me personally I see an unenergetic coach.. maybe that's why I like P.J... He bring excess energy and sells the program better than anyone I can remember.
Hopefully Ben finds his grove, and can start swaying our pessimistic minds

No, you are being ridiculous.

It is like you missed your flight to Vegas and then not understanding that when you get on the next plane it will still take 3 hrs to fly to Vegas.
I'm being rediculious.. lol... Dohkay.. sorry you are unable to open your eyes and mind to others opinions...

I am very pessimistic with this program right now.. it's never been lower in my lifetime... We literally are starting a DII/DIII roster.... 9 wins is not feasible for me yet...

Get garcia... And we can talk about this more
Do you know what a d2/d3 roster looks like?

Last edited:

Do you know what a d2/do roster looks like?
Go to gopher sports and look up the men's basketball roster ..

My question to you... Do you know what a competitive B1G roster looks like???

Last edited:

you do realize those are vastly different things right? D2/D3 vs competitive BIG rosters? right?

you do realize those are vastly different things right? D2/D3 vs competitive BIG rosters? right?
Yep... I do... And right now we have a d2/d3 roster .. not a friggin B1G roster let alone a competitive one .. Sorry if my opinion is different than yours.

You're an idiot. All of the transfers brought in averaged double digits at D1 universities last year outside of 2.
Typical left.. just can't grasp a simple concept of a differing opinions... I.must conform to your beliefs...

Rather be and idiot than anything resembling you while you look at your reflection in the mirror...

Farmer johnny called... Time for you to go back into the pen with all the other sheep

Typical left.. just can't grasp a simple concept of a differing opinions... I.must conform to your beliefs...

Rather be and idiot than anything resembling you while you look at your reflection in the mirror...

Farmer johnny called... Time for you to go back into the pen with all the other sheep
Hopefully this "d2/d3 roster" can shoot better than 28% from three.

Honest question. Why must their be sunshine and roses all the time here?? Why can't the dumpster fire that is the Gophers men's program be acknowledged?? It doesn't mean Ben can't or won't right the ship.... It just means the current state of affairs in all aspects are sub par and has a long ways to go to be back to avg

Thompson: 3/4 star recruit. numerous offers from D1 schools
Willis: started 25 games in the B10 while here
Thiam: freshman JUCO transfer; sure you could argue that he is a lower tier player, but had offers from at least 6 other D1 schools
Kern: I guess he's a D3 transfer, so sure why not call him a D3 player
Ihnen: played 2+ years in the B10 and had offers to go elsewhere at the D1 level
Battle: started 45 games at D1 level
Purcell: walk on Freshman
Loewe: played 4 years at a D1 school, starting for 3 years
Stephens: started 30+ games at D1 school
Fox: D2 All American; out for season
Sutherlin: started for 2 years at a D1 school

I think all anyone is saying is that a D2/D3 roster is VASTLY different than guys who have played D1 and moved up in conference. All these guys who moved up had other D1 offers as well. Is this roster going to compete to be top half in the B10, highly unlikely. But would this roster field ok amongst all D1 schools, yeah probably. And would they absolutely demolish a lower tier (ie D2 or D3), absolutely.

Thompson: 3/4 star recruit. numerous offers from D1 schools
Willis: started 25 games in the B10 while here
Thiam: freshman JUCO transfer; sure you could argue that he is a lower tier player, but had offers from at least 6 other D1 schools
Kern: I guess he's a D3 transfer, so sure why not call him a D3 player
Ihnen: played 2+ years in the B10 and had offers to go elsewhere at the D1 level
Battle: started 45 games at D1 level
Purcell: walk on Freshman
Loewe: played 4 years at a D1 school, starting for 3 years
Stephens: started 30+ games at D1 school
Fox: D2 All American; out for season
Sutherlin: started for 2 years at a D1 school

I think all anyone is saying is that a D2/D3 roster is VASTLY different than guys who have played D1 and moved up in conference. All these guys who moved up had other D1 offers as well. Is this roster going to compete to be top half in the B10, highly unlikely. But would this roster field ok amongst all D1 schools, yeah probably. And would they absolutely demolish a lower tier (ie D2 or D3), absolutely.
But you'll notice.. I'm not calling people names because I feel your opinion is different. I appreciate your post... My opinion of this team and players won't change until I see a product better than what I expect.
I've stated numerous times here... I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.. this team just has to prove it to me.. this year... 2022 I just don't see that happening with the current roster...

But you'll notice.. I'm not calling people names because I feel your opinion is different. I appreciate your post... My opinion of this team and players won't change until I see a product better than what I expect.
I've stated numerous times here... I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.. this team just has to prove it to me.. this year... 2022 I just don't see that happening with the current roster...
I mean yea I agree calling people names doesn't really add anything so glad we agree there.

So... how is this a D2/D3 roster? I think that's the point I'm trying to appreciate from you? I think you can make the argument this is not a B10 caliber roster and that's fine. That they're not a D1 roster? well that seems more than a little hyperbolic or comes across as you haven't watched much D2/D3 basketball to know the usual types of players who end up playing there as they compare to guys who sniff D1 rosters.

Personally, I agree with you that this is likely to be a rough year in the B10. I think they'll be fine non conference depending on who we schedule (if we play a schedule like Mich St, yeah its going to be a rough season all they way through).

Honest question. Why must their be sunshine and roses all the time here?? Why can't the dumpster fire that is the Gophers men's program be acknowledged?? It doesn't mean Ben can't or won't right the ship.... It just means the current state of affairs in all aspects are sub par and has a long ways to go to be back to avg
It does not need to be sunshine and roses all the time but the previous head coaches were miserable failures. Ben brings hope.

I actually watch a fair amount of D3 hoops. The Gophers current roster (assuming no more additions) would beat any D3 team in the country by a fairly wide margin.

Now, at the D2 level, you do see a higher level of athlete. So, I suppose it's possible that a really good D2 team could potentially beat the Gophers current roster.

The big thing that separates the levels is size and athleticism. a D1 guard is a lot quicker than a D2 guard, who is a lot quicker than a D3 guard. A D1 C or PF is bigger and much stronger than a D2 player, and the D2 player is bigger and stronger than a D3 player.

right now, the biggest issue with the current Gophers roster is lack of size. That is why I hope/expect that they will still add at least one more C or PF type before the start of the season.

It does not need to be sunshine and roses all the time but the previous head coaches were miserable failures. Ben brings hope.
When will the clouds pass and Mn sees the sun? Appears to be a ways away.

though we haven’t got the commits yet, the amount of visits I think is a positive sign. Felt like we had very few out of state visitors in the Pitino era. This kid would be big time, looks like he’s a great student as well.
Ummm, you realize that virtually all of Pitino’s recruits were from out of state. The problem is that all of the coaches I can remember (going back to Musselman) could get kids to visit. We’d end up in the top 5 or top 3 for a recruit but, inevitably, we would end up the bridesmaid, not the bride. We need a coach who can win the recruiting war, not come in second every time. We’re still waiting for Ben to show winning results. So far the Portal era appears to be a net negative doe Gopher fans.

Ummm, you realize that virtually all of Pitino’s recruits were from out of state. The problem is that all of the coaches I can remember (going back to Musselman) could get kids to visit. We’d end up in the top 5 or top 3 for a recruit but, inevitably, we would end up the bridesmaid, not the bride. We need a coach who can win the recruiting war, not come in second every time. We’re still waiting for Ben to show winning results. So far the Portal era appears to be a net negative doe Gopher fans.
This 100%

Also looking at the rosters Pitino and Smith have put together (take into consideration their current conference), they are impressive having had equal time as Ben to put together a roster.

Then the U should of acknowledged the mess, and not sold us on Ben being this amazing recruiter who is going to keep instate kids home... (That was the ONLY selling point outside of him being a mn guy)
I don't think any of us pessimists want ben to fail... In fact just the opposite. However we are allowed to complain as much as we want. That's the great thing about message boards. It gives us a platform to express our displeasure with that state of the program. Ben has such a mountain to climb... Not saying he can't/wont climb to the peak...
For me personally I see an unenergetic coach.. maybe that's why I like P.J... He bring excess energy and sells the program better than anyone I can remember.
Hopefully Ben finds his grove, and can start swaying our pessimistic minds
Coyle never said he was an “amazing recruiter.” He said he will recruit well, that he builds relationships, that local recruiting needs to improve. That is very different than the oversell you accuse him of, and I’m someone who has been critical of Coyle in the past.

Before the remainder of the tournament was cancelled, my alma mater went from preseason to the Elite 8 weekend ranked #1 in D3 (side note: I 100% believe we should claim the championship and hang a banner) with two D3 All-Americans at the 4/5... who are 6'8" and 6'7". The current Gophers roster is absolutely nothing like a lower division roster, whatsoever.

I’m talking about casting a wider net much like what we see across the street and getting those kids on campus. When you’re a building program, you want to get as many recruits on campus as you can not just to sell that recruit’s family but let’s face it, kids and coaches talk. Even if we don’t land someone like Danny Wolf (love what I’ve seen of his game), that kid has experienced everything we have to offer and plays for a very important AAU program in Illinois. Maybe you land a Mac Irvin kid down the road because you’ve got that foot in the door and established that relationship.

Much of the reason Pitino had to rely so heavily on spring recruiting waa because there was minimal interest beyond their plan a and plan b options. There’s obviously the in-state kids that have or will visit but Wolf, Hauson, Brown, Smith, Oweh, Green, Appelhans have visited or have spoke about wanting to visit. Can’t remember us ever having this many out of state visitors in the Pitino era.

I’ve said previously in other threads that I believe getting commits from outside our region will be difficult in the short term but hopefully that groundwork that’s being laid right now will pay off in the future when the program’s established itself as a quality one in the upper Midwest.

Top Bottom