All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Agreed but we were told he's a recruiter who will keep talent home... And when this hire was made posters on here said he can/will do this... Starting imedietly.. go back and reread the posts on the coach announcement thread. He will soon be 0-3 on the top high priority recruits. ... I'm begining to think watson is gone to isu.. that leaves carrington...

Sooooo... If he strikes out.. on the top tier talent for this recruiting class.... He won't win this year... Not with the DIII talent we have on the roster. So how/what is going to sell... Playing time????
What is he selling now? The team finished 13th last year.

Have no idea why people care if Gabe stayed, good kid but good luck with whoever gives him significant minutes at the P5 Level.

Won't be watching this team until we have some semblance of talent. This team will be unwatchable, Rutgers football unwatchable.

What is he selling now? The team finished 13th last year.
He's relationship selling. That is why it is so important that he land local kids, here where he is trusted. Recruiting nationally is going to be much tougher.

What's the weather? Cold
How new is the arena? Old ( I love the Barn btw)
What place did you finish? 13th
How much head coaching experience do you have? None
When is the last time U of M won a Big Ten Championship? 40 years ago...well there was the one 24 years ago but...

I have no doubt that Ben has the ability to find character and do this right. But to do so he will need to build some positive momentum early...this Fall.

Ok honest question here again as I'm not trying to stir any pot I swear...why is there so much love and need to have MN players?

I understand it is likely our best chance at landing a 5* guy if they're from our home backyard and can understand if most on this board from the cities have seen these guys play high school or AAU in person so they have more of an opinion on them. However, outside of that what is the difference between a fringe top 100 guy from MN or from Washington D.C., New York, Chicago, etc. Why do we NEED to land 3 of 8 MN kids in order for this to be a successful class?
We don't NEED to. But history suggests the best chance of success is if we can retain MN talent. It doesn't mean the entire roster, but it needs to be more than 1-2 out of 13 as it has been. Also this coach was hired specifically to accomplish this. So him whiffing on an entire deep class would be pretty alarming.

Sooooo... If he strikes out.. on the top tier talent for this recruiting class.... He won't win this year... Not with the DIII talent we have on the roster. So how/what is going to sell... Playing time????
Striking out on the 2022 MN class combined with a 9-22 or so season and it's hard to sell the '23 class on why they should sign on. Red light comes on early IMO.

Striking out on the 2022 MN class combined with a 9-22 or so season and it's hard to sell the '23 class on why they should sign on. Red light comes on early IMO.
9 wins.... You are being very very very generous

The U sold the idea to the fanbase that the main reason for hiring BJ was because of his ties to the local bball community. Thus, creating the expectation to land quality players from MN.
Sold only to those that bought it.

Whatever he's selling he is not doing a very good job of it
He has been on the job for 3 months! Two recruits with STRONG multiyear leans committed to the schools as expected. One recruit who has been recruited by MSU for years says he had a great official visit. He didn't commit so Tre is obviously going to let this play out and go on other officials and, likely, more unofficials to the U. And now you are thinking Watson is gone to ISU?! Because he took an official visit?

I said this on another post tongue in cheek but I am truly starting to think that there is something to it... fans suck! I have never seen such impetuous impatient whiners than this year on the GopherHole. It is making it nearly unreadable. If I didn't have a 20 plus year history following the Gophers on the Hole, I would seriously consider deleting my account. The average poster on here is suddenly like someone on the OTB. Some of the Gopher fans on here surely must be the butt of jokes nationally with this unhinged lunacy.

He has been on the job for 3 months! Two recruits with STRONG multiyear leans committed to the schools as expected. One recruit who has been recruited by MSU for years says he had a great official visit. He didn't commit so Tre is obviously going to let this play out and go on other officials and, likely, more unofficials to the U. And now you are thinking Watson is gone to ISU?! Because he took an official visit?

I said this on another post tongue in cheek but I am truly starting to think that there is something to it... fans suck! I have never seen such impetuous impatient whiners than this year on the GopherHole. It is making it nearly unreadable. If I didn't have a 20 plus year history following the Gophers on the Hole, I would seriously consider deleting my account. The average poster on here is suddenly like someone on the OTB. Some of the Gopher fans on here surely must be the butt of jokes nationally with this unhinged lunacy.

Lol.. Because a bunch of "holers" here were adamant ben would hit the ground running and haul in recruits because after all that's why the university brought him on.. he's a top flight recruiter... right... That's the story we were sold...

We can be as pessimistic as we want, and we are allowed to voice our opinions on this subject. If others opinions bother you so much maybe a message board isn't the place for you

Lol.. Because a bunch of "holers" here were adamant ben would hit the ground running and haul in recruits because after all that's why the university brought him on.. he's a top flight recruiter... right... That's the story we were sold...

We can be as pessimistic as we want, and we are allowed to voice our opinions on this subject. If others opinions bother you so much maybe a message board isn't the place for you

Oh Jesus. Stop acting you're entitled to some explanation or justification from an AD on who they hire. ADs make the hires they feel are the best fit for the program and the vision they have. Coyle made the decision and he will likely succeed or fail on this hire. But quit acting like anything that happens in the first 3 months of a coach's tenure is any kind of long-term indicator just because of some soundbite.

PS. Maybe if rebuilding a basketball program from the ground up bothers you so much, Minnesota isn't the place for you.

Oh Jesus. Stop acting you're entitled to some explanation or justification from an AD on who they hire. ADs make the hires they feel are the best fit for the program and the vision they have. Coyle made the decision and he will likely succeed or fail on this hire. But quit acting like anything that happens in the first 3 months of a coach's tenure is any kind of long-term indicator just because of some soundbite.

PS. Maybe if rebuilding a basketball program from the ground up bothers you so much, Minnesota isn't the place for you.
Where in my post did I say I deserved an explaination on this hire... For a writer you don't seem to comprehend english very well. I am entitled to my opinion on this debacle.. just as you are...

Did anyone ever say that Johnson would fill out the class before the 4th of July? I don't have time to investigate but I am confident that the Gophers are NOT the only Power 5 team without a commitment. You and your comrades can yap all you want but do you see that you are holding this coach up to the most unrealistic expectations for ANY coach simply because you don't like the hire? You're asking the guy to walk on water. Should MSU fans want Izzo to be fired because he didn't get a commitment from Tre on his official? Why are you expecting Ben to do something that the great Izzo can't do?

Hasn't our basketball program been in rebuild mode for a few decades now?

Yep. So may be time to find a new hobby if all it's doing is turning a person into a whining curmudgeon. Just a thought. Life is too short to spend your free time always waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Or repeating the same argument over and over to the same audience, none of whom give any indication of retracting from their positions.

Some of us have stuck around for two decades of rebuilding. Save it junior.

Yep. So may be time to find a new hobby if all it's doing is turning a person into a whining curmudgeon. Just a thought. Life is too short to spend your free time always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm too old to find a new hot wife. Gophers it is. Maybe they get in shape and do a little cosmetic surgery .... hint hint

Each person conducts themselves however they want. Frustrated or bitter or angry or name calling. Or patient, hopeful , over the top positivity. Likely that if your a fan of this program for a long time that you touched all of these at times. For me it is now about a fresh start,renewed hope that a foundation will be built. We are now past one of the worst coaches in Big 10 history.

So why the need to lie when selling Ben to the public?
They were not lying in their eyes. They are going to pump the new coach up in any way they can. Not like they could cite his record. I for one have never paid that much importance to the local influence. More interested in the culture, the philosophy, no matter where players come from. I do think that Ben and staff will be close to the state high school coaches and over time that helps because those guys know the famiiy and player better than anyone. Players almost always want to look around, they like successful programs, great coaches, getting away etc.. This will take time. No one promised that he would knock 2022 out of the park.

I understand that people are skeptical of Johnson - or just flat-out think it was a bad hire.

fine - you certainly have the right to your opinion.

But, IMHO, we are seeing some circular logic here.

"I don't like the hire, and I expect Ben to fail, therefore he has already failed."

If Gopher basketball was like a college class, there are people who want to hand out failing grades before the mid-term or before the term papers are due - let alone before the final test.

Imagine walking into a class, and the teacher tells you, "I think you are going to fail this course, so I have already given you an 'F.'"

I am not going to hand out any grades until the class is over.

Look, maybe Ben will fail. It's possible. It's also possible he will not fail. He may not get an A, or even a B, but last time I checked, a 'C' was still a passing grade. It won't get you on the honor roll, but it won't get you expelled, either. And in some cases, you can do extra work to bring up your grade.

Nah, you’re just being pessimistic.
I am very pessimistic with this program right now.. it's never been lower in my lifetime... We literally are starting a DII/DIII roster.... 9 wins is not feasible for me yet...

Get garcia... And we can talk about this more

Top Bottom