All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

that is a great questions......
Holloman
King
Heide
Watson
Lee
Carrington
Payne....i may get flack for this but this guy is rising....and if he keeps taking the strides he has hes a starter by his sophmore year for sure

Prince?
Nnaji?
You shouldnt get any flack about Payne, hes way underrated right now. Omot and Ola Joseph are both better than Prince and Nnaji imo. Its absolutely wild Rivals has Prince as a top 65 player and best player in state. Id have him 9th or 10th best in state. Its such a deep class.

So how many of the top 10 MN kids for the 22 class are good enough to start in the B1G by their sophomore year? Aside from the top 3. I have done no research on this.
all of them, maybe? i think we only have 5 currently for the 2022-23 roster. whoever commits for 2022 will be an experienced player by their sophomore year

that is a great questions......
Holloman
King
Heide
Watson
Lee
Carrington
Payne....i may get flack for this but this guy is rising....and if he keeps taking the strides he has hes a starter by his sophmore year for sure

Prince?
Nnaji?
Thanks for the info. Gives me ppl to keep an eye on.

You shouldnt get any flack about Payne, hes way underrated right now. Omot and Ola Joseph are both better than Prince and Nnaji imo. Its absolutely wild Rivals has Prince as a top 65 player and best player in state. Id have him 9th or 10th best in state. Its such a deep class.
I keep forgetting about Ola Joseph! I dont know a ton about DJ Jefferson...where would you but him in the rankings?

this class is crazy deep....

What if the kids simply wants to go to ISU? Maybe they just want to go somewhere new, but still be close enough for family to get to games. That could be ISU, Iowa, WI, Creighton, etc. Many, many non-athletes leave the state to go to college. It is not always a negative reflection on the coach when a kid chooses another school. Some simply want to experience something different.
You can explain away any one recruit's decision. But we're not winning any of them right now. It's going to be getting late early on the 2022 class shortly.

You can explain away any one recruit's decision. But we're not winning any of them right now. It's going to be getting late early on the 2022 class shortly.
How do you know we aren’t winning any of them? Last I checked a lot of them haven’t signed anything yet. Nothing is a done deal until it actually is. Just because a kid takes an official here or there doesn’t mean he is signing on the dotted line. When the class is done then you can moan, groan, bitch or whatever. Until then show a little patience.

How do you know we aren’t winning any of them? Last I checked a lot of them haven’t signed anything yet. Nothing is a done deal until it actually is. Just because a kid takes an official here or there doesn’t mean he is signing on the dotted line. When the class is done then you can moan, groan, bitch or whatever. Until then show a little patience.
We need at least 3 hits out of 8 swings. So far we're 0-2 and behind on the 3rd. Can we hit 3 of the remaining 5? Sure. But there's reason to be doubtful.

I can't find it mentioned in this thread, but what role will NIL play in keeping some of these guys in state? Not for nothing, but there are more Fortune 500 companies in Minnesota per capita than any other state in the union. Minneapolis is a huge market as the home of the actual university. If I'm a born and bred Minnesotan, I gotta believe I could sign a few autographs and pad my bank account by staying home at the U.

We need at least 3 hits out of 8 swings. So far we're 0-2 and behind on the 3rd. Can we hit 3 of the remaining 5? Sure. But there's reason to be doubtful.
Are all our 8 swings minnesota guys? We cant get anyone outside of minnesota?

Are all our 8 swings minnesota guys? We cant get anyone outside of minnesota?
All MN guys? No. We will have 6 + open scholarships. We need to get at least 3 MN guys IMO, and there are/were about 8 that are options. Do you disagree?

All MN guys? No. We will have 6 + open scholarships. We need to get at least 3 MN guys IMO, and there are/were about 8 that are options. Do you disagree?
There are 3 of 8 that i am not high on. If we hit on 3 of 6 as guys that turn out really good, that is a home run. I could care less where they come from.

For MN kids - 2 are gone already, 2 are 50/50 (but probably leaning away from MN), 1 that I’m not sure where he stands, and then there are 3 to 4 that MN should have a very good chance to get commitments from. And then there is BB Knight, Wolf and others from out of state that have a strong interest in MN. Striking out at the top would not be great at all and I’m sure everybody will be very measured about that (myself included). I still hope everyday Ben can win over Tre, but it’s not a bad start if he can pull in Carrington, Payne, Omot, Knight, etc.

Offers have to be coming for Omot and Ola Joseph soon. From my understanding, Payne is the breakout player in this class.

Yes your right! I didnt realize we will have 6 scholarships open.

For MN kids - 2 are gone already, 2 are 50/50 (but probably leaning away from MN), 1 that I’m not sure where he stands, and then there are 3 to 4 that MN should have a very good chance to get commitments from. And then there is BB Knight, Wolf and others from out of state that have a strong interest in MN. Striking out at the top would not be great at all and I’m sure everybody will be very measured about that (myself included). I still hope everyday Ben can win over Tre, but it’s not a bad start if he can pull in Carrington, Payne, Omot, Knight, etc.
More likely he goes o-fer on leading my kids and the kid from William and Mary backs out.

Kids choose schools primarily on the coach/relationship. It's funny how people are making this close but not too close excuse when MN loses to the ISU's of the world, but funny, we don't see the Iowa, Wisconsin kids coming to MN for that reason. It only seems to be a one direction excuse.
Not an excuse. It happens everywhere. Wisconsin loses kids. Iowa loses kids. It’s reality.

Ben was hired to win more of the recruiting battles locally. He might do it. Early signs are worrisome. That is all.
Not much for early signs. It’s early. And, it doesn’t matter where they are from as long as we win. That is all.

Not explaining away anything. Majority of top players don’t stay in their state. That has been demonstrated by numerous posters numerous times. Some kids simply want to try something different.

There are 3 of 8 that i am not high on. If we hit on 3 of 6 as guys that turn out really good, that is a home run. I could care less where they come from.
Which 3 are you not high on? Curious. I’m not high on all of them either.

I can't find it mentioned in this thread, but what role will NIL play in keeping some of these guys in state? Not for nothing, but there are more Fortune 500 companies in Minnesota per capita than any other state in the union. Minneapolis is a huge market as the home of the actual university. If I'm a born and bred Minnesotan, I gotta believe I could sign a few autographs and pad my bank account by staying home at the U.
This is truly the wild wild west so who knows, but I do have some optimism for this. I have to think that's how you sell guys like Sims, Nnaji, Wright IV. Hey you are going to do better here because you have a bigger name/value at home where people know you.

Last edited:

Ok honest question here again as I'm not trying to stir any pot I swear...why is there so much love and need to have MN players?

I understand it is likely our best chance at landing a 5* guy if they're from our home backyard and can understand if most on this board from the cities have seen these guys play high school or AAU in person so they have more of an opinion on them. However, outside of that what is the difference between a fringe top 100 guy from MN or from Washington D.C., New York, Chicago, etc. Why do we NEED to land 3 of 8 MN kids in order for this to be a successful class?

Gabe's been at Iowa St for like 3 months and played 0 games there so he won't have a ton of MN this ISU that information to give yet. He left MN when we fired our coach and the coach he committed to play for. Had Pitino not been fired my guess is Gabe is still a gopher.

I'm guessing there isn't a great deal of hate that he will sell anyone on.
If pinto wasn't fired Gabe stays??

It's been documented he was checked out half way through the season. Ready to go elsewhere

Recruiting takes longer than 3 months to show results.
Agreed but we were told he's a recruiter who will keep talent home... And when this hire was made posters on here said he can/will do this... Starting imedietly.. go back and reread the posts on the coach announcement thread. He will soon be 0-3 on the top high priority recruits. ... I'm begining to think watson is gone to isu.. that leaves carrington...

Sooooo... If he strikes out.. on the top tier talent for this recruiting class.... He won't win this year... Not with the DIII talent we have on the roster. So how/what is going to sell... Playing time????

Top Bottom