All Things Gophers at North Carolina Road Game Thread (Tips for Flights, Hotels, Bars, Restaurants, Game Tickets & More)

I'm planning to catch the Gophers on the road this fall at UNC. First timer doing a road game. Anyone know how to find out where the central hub hotel will be for other Gopher fans? Would like to stay where the Gopher action is.

How’s he feel about 8 additional strangers? 😂😂
Well, I have now contacted by Chapel Hill buddy. He was all fired up to have guests for the game, although he said that he has never planned anything 5 months ahead in his entire life. His wife however can be a bit humorless (she's a tough German from Pierz, MN), so my Gopher travel friend and I might ultimately be hotelling it. Anyway, Go Gophers!

Well, I have now contacted by Chapel Hill buddy. He was all fired up to have guests for the game, although he said that he has never planned anything 5 months ahead in his entire life. His wife however can be a bit humorless (she's a tough German from Pierz, MN), so my Gopher travel friend and I might ultimately be hotelling it. Anyway, Go Gophers!
Ask him what bar or taproom we should take over.

Is there a tailgate event the night before or same day planned?

When do away tickets go on sale through the U?
How many tickets do you think season ticket holders will be allowed to buy?

I'm looking for the guy who offered to house us for work on his farm.

It's usually a couple weeks before the game. I haven't seen a limit in the past for games I've attended. Bought four to PSU game last year.

It's usually a couple weeks before the game. I haven't seen a limit in the past for games I've attended. Bought four to PSU game last year.
The maximum I've been able to get for an away game was 8 -- that was for the Madison game last year. I am a season ticket holder, though I don't think that changes anything.

Last edited:

Where are people staying when we travel to North Carolina in September?

Where are people staying when we travel to North Carolina in September?
Hyatt Greensboro on Wednesday (golf). Hyatt Chapel Hill Thursday until Sunday morning 5 of us. Two other in our group are staying at Marriott Courtyard Chapel Hill.

I have no idea where the team or other fans are staying. There is an all thing North Carolina Trip thread if someone wants to bump.

Tickets are already on sale for season ticket holders. Are you looking for more than 8?
I have no idea about a pep rally gathering the night before or tailgate day of game. Hopefully its an afternoon/evening and not a noon game. NC State and Duke are home against lesser opponents so think they would try to spread out the traffic and give the two heisman qb's a chance to battle it out in a great time slot.

Stadium is same size as Minnesota so I imagine getting around, tailgating, getting decent seats will be a lot easier than Happy Valley/Penn St as that place was huge. Hopefully more similar to Colorado Boulder.

Last edited:

Per the U, this will make it a challenge to do a double header with Wake or NC State, but not impossible!

Minnesota's nonconference tilt at North Carolina on Saturday, Sept. 16. That game will start at 2:30 p.m. CT and will be broadcast on either ESPN or ESPN2. This will be the first-ever meeting between the Gophers and the Tar Heels.

Go Gophers!!

Per the U, this will make it a challenge to do a double header with Wake or NC State, but not impossible!

Minnesota's nonconference tilt at North Carolina on Saturday, Sept. 16. That game will start at 2:30 p.m. CT and will be broadcast on either ESPN or ESPN2. This will be the first-ever meeting between the Gophers and the Tar Heels.

Go Gophers!!
It did not say central just 2:30 according to the U of M website. Would hope it's 3:30 eastern time and 2:30 central but did not make that distinction from what I could see. Also do you mean Duke and not Wake as Duke plays Northwestern at home but Wake is at Old Dominion? Perfect game time if it's 3:30!

Edit: Email says 2:30pm Central.

Last edited:

It did not say central just 2:30. Would hope it's 3:30 eastern time and 2:30 central but did not make that distinction from what I could see. Also do you mean Duke and not Wake as Duke plays Northwestern at home but Wake is at Old Dominion? Perfect game time if it's 3:30!

The U will only report local MN time.

Good catch on Duke/Wake.

Go Gophers!!

Hope this helps:

- Game time is 2:30pm Minnesota time/3:30 North Carolina time.

- Franklin Street is the main drag on campus where there are tons of bars/restaurants.

- Tickets are available thru the U. As I understand it (?), the tickets are allocated to season ticket holders based on how long you've been a season ticket holder. Right now you can buy a ticket thru he U, but you won't know your seating assignment for some time still. You may be in the lower deck, or you may be in the upper deck. I decided to buy on StubHub, and got lower deck tickets in the Minnesota section for $75 each, so about $20 more than thru the U, but I'm guaranteed lower deck.

- Hotels near campus are veeeery expensive ($450+). Sounds like people are staying all over. Some in Raleigh, some in Durham, some in Chapel Hill.

- I originally booked at the Holiday Inn Express, Chapel Hill, 3.5 miles from campus, and paid about $100 a night. I've since found an Air B'n'B right by campus, so I'm cancelling the Holiday Inn Express. If anyone wants to try to snag my reservation, message me, and maybe we can switch it into your name, or at least you can call them directly after I've cancelled knowing they have a room that just came available.

For anyone else like me holding out hope to see a double header, the dream is officially dead with NC State announcing its game at 2pm:

Go Gophers!!

Just booked my flight and got tickets for me and a buddy in a lower level visitors section off SH. If anyone has the inside track on a reasonably priced round of golf on Sunday and wouldn't mind a couple Gopher fans joining you lemme know :)

I went to multiple board meetings in Chapel Hill and found it to be quite a nice city in every way.
Every now and then we were put up at the guest house on the Duke golf course which looked very nice but I never had a chance to play.

Top Bottom