All Things Gophers 2022-23 Schedule Thread

Yep, I know that.

Any Division I team that has "State" as part of its name but it's unnecessary to identify them, I skip the "State". Others such as Coppin (State), Morehead, Morgan, Norfolk, Sacramento, etc. ...
So are you saying we're playing UIC, then? That's the school most college bball fans would assume when the ambiguous "Chicago" is used.

I doubt most college bball fans know there is a school called Chicago State in DI. They have to be at the very bottom of the RPI. Their school is in serious financial trouble and they look like an NAIA type school, and would do well to move there.

I don't understand why Ben would schedule Chicago St. In the last two years, their NET rankings are 340 and 346. Since the 2014-2015 season, they have a grand total of 9 (!) conference wins in the WAC. Basically they average one conference win a year.

I don't understand why Ben would schedule Chicago St. In the last two years, their NET rankings are 340 and 346. Since the 2014-2015 season, they have a grand total of 9 (!) conference wins in the WAC. Basically they average one conference win a year.
They require a lower guarantee?

So are you saying we're playing UIC, then? That's the school most college bball fans would assume when the ambiguous "Chicago" is used.

I doubt most college bball fans know there is a school called Chicago State in DI. They have to be at the very bottom of the RPI. Their school is in serious financial trouble and they look like an NAIA type school, and would do well to
Potato, potatoe

Chicago State, Chicago

Quick look at VT and it appears that Aluma, their high scorer is gone, but they added Grant Basile from Wright State. He is pretty much a carbon copy physically of Aluma. 6’9”, 225

Glad we got @VT that is otherwise a pretty brutal NC schedule. Generally B1G teams dont need to worry about SOS and good wins as there are a lot in conf but to play some of the worst teams in D1 could easily come back to bite us.

Playing on the road in the challenge for second straight season pretty much confirms Gophers will have a home game in Gavitt Games.

Probably looking at two +300 ranked opponents with these two games. Ouch.
Would it kill them to try and get someone ok when is out of staters come to town for Christmas?

Every year they get someone they found dumpster diving.

Coaching: the idea to accelerate improvement/development of your team is to make practice more difficult than the games. Same principle with your non-conference schedule...play teams clearly better than you are to put your guys in adversity and expose your weaknesses so your players believe they need to fix them...see how they react....correct in practice....play a cupcake for a confidence builder...schedule a team clearly better...rinse repeat.

Would it kill them to try and get someone ok when is out of staters come to town for Christmas?

Just a hunch, it's a tough ask for the Gophers HC to schedule a decent opponent as that game is usually after a week off from finals. They want to ease themselves back into competition with the Big 10 gauntlet starting in earnest the next week.

Well, somebody has to play Chicago State in nonconference.

I doubt most college bball fans know there is a school called Chicago State in DI.

I don't know. Granted, they're terrible but they've been in playing D1 for a long time (since the 84-85 season) so they've been patsies on the pre-conference schedules of many D1 teams over the years. In fact, they were one of our 8 wins during Pitino's legendary 2015-16 season.

Guys, we finished in last place. Let's focus on not being in last place before we worry about the Net ranking of our non-conference opponents. BJ and Coyle know better than all on this board combined for what is in the best interest of the Gopher Basketball program. Trust the plan!

Just a hunch, it's a tough ask for the Gophers HC to schedule a decent opponent as that game is usually after a week off from finals. They want to ease themselves back into competition with the Big 10 gauntlet starting in earnest the next week.

You’re probably pretty close to the truth.

Though B1G play usually stars the following week. I’d like to think playing someone in the 100s in RPI would be better prep. But nobody wants to risk scheduling a game they might lose after several days off from practice.

Guys, we finished in last place. Let's focus on not being in last place before we worry about the Net ranking of our non-conference opponents. BJ and Coyle know better than all on this board combined for what is in the best interest of the Gopher Basketball program. Trust the plan!
That certainly has not been proven by either guy to this point. Two NCAA trips in like 9 years for the AD and a last place finish for the coach isn't exactly evidence you can crow about.

Last edited:

That certainly has not been proven by either guy to this point. Two NCAA trips in like 9 years for the AD and a last place finish for the coach isn't exactly evidence you can crow about.
Lol I was being sarcastic

Well, somebody has to play Chicago State in nonconference.
Do they? That is unfortunate. That school should maybe not even have athletics. Certainly, it should not be allowed to be DI.

Back to Gophers schedule discussion.

Any word on whether there will be an exhibition game to start the season? - I believe there has been one scheduled almost every year.

Schedule to date, with opponents' final 2022 NET ranking in parentheses. 2022 NCAA qualifiers are in bold/italic.

MINNESOTA GOPHERS (can schedule 1 more game)
Nov. 7: WESTERN MICHIGAN (329)
Nov. 11: SAINT FRANCIS-NY (321)
Nov. 14-15: DEPAUL (103)
Nov. 18: CENTRAL MICHIGAN (318)
Nov. 21: vs. Cal Baptist (222)
Nov. 23: vs. Southern Illinois (137)/UNLV (97)
Nov. 28: @ *Virginia Tech (22)
Dec. 11: MISSISSIPPI STATE (60)
Dec. 22: CHICAGO (340)
Dec. 29: ALCORN (262)

ILLINOIS* (15)
@ Illinois* (15)
INDIANA* (44)

IOWA* (14)
MARYLAND* (90)
@ Maryland* (90)
MICHIGAN* (27)
@ Michigan* (27)

@ Michigan State* (38)
NEBRASKA* (145)
@ Nebraska* (145)
@ Northwestern* (91)
@ Ohio State* (23)
PENN STATE* (88)
PURDUE* (12)
@ Purdue* (12)
RUTGERS* (80)
@ Rutgers* (80)
WISCONSIN* (25)

@ Wisconsin* (25)
March 8-12: Big Ten Tournament (Chicago)

Schedule to date, with opponents' final 2022 NET ranking in parentheses. 2022 NCAA qualifiers are in bold/italic.

MINNESOTA GOPHERS (can schedule 1 more game)
Nov. 7: WESTERN MICHIGAN (329)
Nov. 11: SAINT FRANCIS-NY (321)
Nov. 14-15: DEPAUL (103)
Nov. 18: CENTRAL MICHIGAN (318)
Nov. 21: vs. Cal Baptist (222)
Nov. 23: vs. Southern Illinois (137)/UNLV (97)
Nov. 28: @ *Virginia Tech (22)
Dec. 11: MISSISSIPPI STATE (60)
Dec. 22: CHICAGO (340)
Dec. 29: ALCORN (262)

ILLINOIS* (15)
@ Illinois* (15)
INDIANA* (44)

IOWA* (14)
MARYLAND* (90)
@ Maryland* (90)
MICHIGAN* (27)
@ Michigan* (27)

@ Michigan State* (38)
NEBRASKA* (145)
@ Nebraska* (145)
@ Northwestern* (91)
@ Ohio State* (23)
PENN STATE* (88)
PURDUE* (12)
@ Purdue* (12)
RUTGERS* (80)
@ Rutgers* (80)
WISCONSIN* (25)

@ Wisconsin* (25)
March 8-12: Big Ten Tournament (Chicago)
Hopefully we schedule someone solid around December 5th. We sure need it.

Final OOC game is against Arkansas Pine Bluff. They finished 352 in KenPom last year. What a crap OOC schedule.

Top Bottom