All Things Gophers 2022-23 Schedule Thread

Gonna guess we're on the opposite side of UNLV here. Hopefully we get Southern Illinois as our first game, assuming it's not UNLV. Cal Baptist was 225 in KenPom last year. Would be another huge ding against our SOS.
Interesting venue choice for an exempt Tournament. Beautiful area, I was just in the Dana Point/SJ Capistrano/San Clemente Area to see Pearl Jam last fall. Lots of fun stuff to do there.

Gonna guess we're on the opposite side of UNLV here. Hopefully we get Southern Illinois as our first game, assuming it's not UNLV. Cal Baptist was 225 in KenPom last year. Would be another huge ding against our SOS.
Cal Baptist seems to have added quite a bit of talent in the portal this year IIRC

According to this article they are one of the favorites in the WAC.

Cal Baptist seems to have added quite a bit of talent in the portal this year IIRC

If they are a WAC frontrunner, a team with that profile, is typically a top 125 team. NMSU, the auto bid, finished 80 at KenPom. Utah Valley finished at 119 and Stephen F Austin finished at 123. If they can be a top 3 team, that looks like it could be a Q3 game, instead of Q4. I'd expect So. Illinois to be a Q3 game and UNLV to be a Q2 game based on what they have coming in/back. In the end, it's probably a little worse off than the WKU/Princeton combination we played last year. But we'll see.

Cal Baptist has a couple brothers from Australia, Teran and Tre. Teran is a fricking assist machine. Over 6 a game. Will be interesting.

They've only participated as a D1 team for four seasons. They've only been eligible to play in their conference tournament for two seasons. While they haven't been great, they haven't had a losing season yet.

Cal Baptist did pick up some talent in the portal but they also had five players enter the portal. They appear to be trying to follow in the footsteps of another smaller religiously affiliated WAC member that has built a respectable basketball program: Grand Canyon. Like Grand Canyon, they also have a fair number of foreign players.

Gophers have max of 3 slots left to fill on their non-conference slate.

Is an exempt game confirmed? If so I'd imagine Central Michigan would have the highest Net, High Point would be fun with Tubby's kid coaching and Thiam on the roster.

Is an exempt game confirmed? If so I'd imagine Central Michigan would have the highest Net, High Point would be fun with Tubby's kid coaching and Thiam on the roster.

CSUN and Central Michigan were both 7 win teams last year. Both are likely going to be bad. If we're looking for a "bump" in our SOS, High Point would probably be the team that would provide the highest NET. Either way, all 3 teams are going to be in bad next season. High Point, likely to be the best though.

Looks like it's confirmed to be Central Michigan. Another 300+ rated team from last year.

Avg. KenPom rating of the teams we play (including all 3 of UNLV, Southern Illinois, and Cal Baptist) is 216. If we don't play UNLV the number goes even higher.

Is anyone impressed with the caliber of teams in this tournament. It sure doesn't seem like a group of powerhouses or even a group of wannabes.

Is anyone impressed with the caliber of teams in this tournament. It sure doesn't seem like a group of powerhouses or even a group of wannabes.
No. Looks about the same caliber competition as Asheville last year. Early in the season will give Ben plenty of chances to test lineups and combinations and separate players into play, trust, and bench categories.

I am impressed with location and consider good fortune that I will be in the neighborhood (45 minutes away) for other reasons. San Juan Capistrano is beautiful.

So far(I think)

Western Michigan | November 7
Central Michigan | November 18
UNLV/So. Illinois/Cal Baptist | November 21/23
Mississippi State | December 11th
Chicago State | December 22nd
Alcorn State | December 29th
Saint Francis(NY) | TBD
ACC/Big 10 Challenge | TBD

1 more buy game?
Still awaiting ACC/Big East opponent.

So far(I think)

Western Michigan | November 7
Central Michigan | November 18
UNLV/So. Illinois/Cal Baptist | November 21/23
Mississippi State | December 11th
Chicago State | December 22nd
Alcorn State | December 29th
Saint Francis(NY) | TBD
ACC/Big 10 Challenge | TBD

1 more buy game?
Still awaiting ACC/Big East opponent.
They would have to really suck if they didn’t win the vast majority of those games

They would have to really suck if they didn’t win the vast majority of those games

The schedule is so bad, any loss will be a bad loss(Q3/Q4), with the exception of UNLV, who would probably be a Q2 loss(top 100 NET). If UNLV isn't a top 100 team(i think they probably will be) we don't have a Q1 or Q2 games currently scheduled. Hopefully, we get a challenge game or Gavitt game on the road so we get a Q2 opportunity.

Worst schedule I can remember in my life. For context last year we played one 250+ team. We already have 5 scheduled. 4 of them are 315+.

This is shaping up to be a miserable schedule unless the staff knows more about some of the dogs improving substantially.

Really hope we get a decent ACC game for once....

Only things left to determine on the non-conference schedule are ACC Challenge & Gavitt Games opponents +potential for 1 more game. Last year Ben left one slot unfilled, scheduling 10 instead of max 11 games.

Only things left to determine on the non-conference schedule are ACC Challenge & Gavitt Games opponents +potential for 1 more game. Last year Ben left one slot unfilled, scheduling 10 instead of max 11 games.

Last year there wasn't an exempt game like the Central Michigan game for the Ashville Tournament, I am guessing Ben won't leave an opportunity for a win on the table. Not my favorite schedule, but we also have a lot of new faces, plus will still get Miss. State and a Big East or ACC team at home. Hopefully the 11th game is a decent opponent, even if it's from a one bid league. I assume the two big ten games will be between the Challenge and the Miss. State game, so maybe we could get a decent team on the weekend of the 17th or 18th to come here

None of UIC, Chicago State, or U of Chicago are commonly known as "Chicago".
Yep, I know that.

Any Division I team that has "State" as part of its name but it's unnecessary to identify them, I skip the "State". Others such as Coppin (State), Morehead, Morgan, Norfolk, Sacramento, etc. ...

Last edited:

Last year there wasn't an exempt game like the Central Michigan game for the Ashville Tournament, I am guessing Ben won't leave an opportunity for a win on the table. Not my favorite schedule, but we also have a lot of new faces, plus will still get Miss. State and a Big East or ACC team at home. Hopefully the 11th game is a decent opponent, even if it's from a one bid league. I assume the two big ten games will be between the Challenge and the Miss. State game, so maybe we could get a decent team on the weekend of the 17th or 18th to come here
Agree, hoping that last opponent isn't another 300+ schedule anchor. At least get a decent mid- or low major, someone like Vermont, Liberty, Northern Kentucky, Akron, North Texas, Morehead, etc. ...

Top Bottom