All Things EA College Football 25

I played a few hours last night and here are my initial thoughts as someone who hasn't played Madden or NCAA14 before:
  • It feels like there is a steep learning curve to playing the game. I have it on the lowest difficulty setting because I'm new, and that means I'm winning games, but it feels like I'm not actually influencing the outcome. I'm unsure how to actually "get better" at the game. There are the mini-games, and the "practice" function, but I wish there was a more structured tutorial you could go through that walks you through the different controls and the different things you can do when playing offense, defense, and special teams.
  • There are little quirks with the in-game announcing that I find weird. Like, when you play a conference game, or a rivalry, the announcers will say that in the little "pre-game" cinematic, and then say "A team from the B1G, wisconsin, is playing a team from the B1G, Minnesota" which feels really unnatural and clunky. Like maybe it was so they could cut down on the dialog they needed to record, but it feels like they could have instead recorded variations of "We have a B1G conference matchup, wisconsin vs Minnesota", "We have a non-conference matchup, New Mexico State vs Minnesota", "We have a B1G vs SEC game today, Minnesota vs Auburn", etc. It would feel a lot more natural that way.
  • It's clear that they focused more effort on certain "atmosphere" aspects of the game than others. Some praise I have for them is the attention to detail of the rivalry-specific announcer audio. I played partway through an Axe game and there was color commentary about how this was the most played rivalry in FBS, and other things specific to the rivalry. The recording of the rouser is pretty good as well. I can tell it was not a recording from the U, and that the instrumentation is slightly different than our Marching Band, but they seemed to have at least sourced the correct modern arrangement of the rouser (which is more than can be said about most of the other B1G schools, who more often than not seem to use the old arrangement of the rouser from prior to Dr. Ben's stint as the marching band director (1960-1993)). They do, however, omit the spellout at the end of the rouser.
  • I have yet to hear any school specific cheers/chants from the crowd, but I may have just missed it.
  • I am REALLY disappointed at the lack of effort put into the marching bands in this game, especially since they are one of the big atmospheric differences between college and the NFL. They seem to have put the bare-minimum effort into representing the marching bands:
    • None of the bands have their proper uniform. They all use the same, generic uniform with a couple of the colors changed to match the school colors. This really confuses me because clearly they put some effort into designing higher-detail/proper marching band uniforms, as seen in this still from the "Sights and Sounds" deep dive:
      Screenshot 2024-07-16 12.47.40 PM.png
    • While yes, the bands are placed in the "proper" positions when the teams run out onto the field during the opening pregame video, they have the "marching" animation playing during this time and in real-life most bands are not marching in place during team-run outs.
    • Further, the marching animations are not in sync with each other, nor match the tempo of a given school song that is played in the background.
    • You can really easily see the band during touchdowns in front of the student section in our stadium, and they seem even lower-quality of models than the fans in the stadium.
  • They did seem to include proper themed games for us (stripe out, and gold out are 2 I saw while playing in Road to Glory), but they don't line up with the games they are actually scheduled for in the 2024 season.
  • They also seemed to do the bare minimum to represent Goldy. He doesn't seem to switch uniforms to match what the team is wearing, and also he's wearing last year's uniform. His animation for spinning his head is ALL wrong as well (it seems like rather than referencing any of the NUMEROUS videos you can find of him spinning his head, they just took the model, gave it to an animator and said "He spins his head around, animate that" and the animator just guessed at how he did that.
  • The flags the Spirit Squad holds when the team runs out were all just the Maroon flag with a gold Block M, rather than the proper: Maroon flag with Gold Block M, Gold "MIN", Gold "NE", Gold "SO" and GOLD "TA" flags.
  • I don't like how you can't seem to skip the pre-game cinematic. It would be fine if there was enough variety, but there only seems to be 1 or 2 permutations of the pre-game cinematic per team, so it gets old pretty fast.
  • The gear the fans wear in the stands when they to "camera close ups" after big plays all seem pretty generic. I would like to see some more variety/accurate fan gear (Gopheralls were NOWHERE to be seen as far as I could tell, and those + body paint are a staple among students)
  • The Ultimate Team mode is interesting, but it took me a second to realize when opening the packs that I had to choose 1 card to keep. If you open a pack, view all the cards, and then navigate back to the menu without choosing a card there is no warning or anything that asks "You haven't chosen are card, are you sure you want to leave?".
  • The recruiting mechanic in Dynasty mode is a bit overwhelming. It briefly walks through all the menu options, but then just dumps you into it. I also wish the sorting/filtering was a bit more dynamic. I'm starting as an OC at Rice, so I would like to be able to sort by star rating but also filter to the recruits who are actually interested in Rice. If I sort by star power, I just get shown a bunch of 4 and 5 star players who have already locked me out because Rice doesn't have a high enough "prestige" as a program.
  • The likenesses of the players who signed on to be in the game are kinda hit and miss. I get that they intentionally used the player creation system to just get "pretty close" to the players rather than designing custom models for everyone, but some players look more like themselves than others, and some players who don't look similar in real life almost look identical in-game.
  • I wish there was a little more ability to customize the looks of your coach in Dynasty mode. I get that there doesn't need to be as much customizability as the player creation, but only getting to pick from a list of generic heads, setting height and weight, and then picking 1 of 2 clothing options seemed like too little customization.
  • In the player creation, there were a lot of "incompatible" equipment combinations, and as far as I could tell there was not a "show only compatible selections" option I could turn on. This wouldn't be as annoying if they grouped the compatible options together, but they don't (helmet grill selection was super annoying, because the compatible options were randomly interspersed throughout all the options, so I had to click through every option to find the compatible ones, and then I couldn't easily swap between two options to see them back to back unless they were next to each other in the list).
  • I do like that if you select the Gophers as your favorite team, and select quick play, the first option you are presented is the Axe game at home. It's a nice touch that they know what game we'll all want to play over and over again, haha.
All that being said, the game is fun and honestly that's the most important thing IMO. I hope they iterate/improve on the "sights and sounds" in future patches, since improvements to those things can easily be re-used in later iterations of EA College Football without change. I also still have yet to put in enough hours to really get used to the menus and controls, and since I don't have previous experience from other Madden or NCAA football games, perhaps some of my opinions will change.

Lastly, I do really like the design of the main menu when you select the Gophers as your favorite team:

PXL_20240716_031115752.jpg

The real-life photos from games (that are definitely sourced from our media department), real foam finger and flag, and the tickets from the 2019 victory over Penn State are all really nice touches. They definitely put a lot of thought into the main menu screens (It would be cool to see what other team's menus look like, but I'm not about to spend the time updating my favorite team over 100 times just to see).

The button usage on RPO is really weird to adjust to at first and I feel like they altered the read option a bit so it's more confusing, but overall it's an absolute blast.
I've never got the hang of RPO in Madden.

The read option was changed from NCAA 14, and it was really bothering me. It used to be hold A to handoff or don't do anything to pull it, now you have to hold A to pull and do nothing to keep. I haven't played Madden in years, is this a new change? Really obnoxious when I'd run read option on 3rd and short and a big hole opened for DT only for Brosmer to get hit five yards short of the sticks because I thought I handed it off.

Has anyone gone through and figured out which Gophers are not in the game?

I played a few hours last night and here are my initial thoughts as someone who hasn't played Madden or NCAA14 before:

• I have yet to hear any school specific cheers/chants from the crowd, but I may have just missed it.
I heard a "Row the boat" chant last night

The more and more gameplay I see the less excited about this im becoming.

Everyone I’ve talked to has loved the new game. NCAA Football long had a very dedicated fan base. Having the game off the market for 10 years created a lot of buildup in desire to play an updated version.

So perhaps that desire has masked some of the disappointment considering its shortcomings. But I don’t think so. It seems to have kept up with the massive changes to college football quite well despite it being out of production for so long.

If you liked the old game, you’ll like/love the new one too.

Everyone I’ve talked to has loved the new game. NCAA Football long had a very dedicated fan base. Having the game off the market for 10 years created a lot of buildup in desire to play an updated version.

So perhaps that desire has masked some of the disappointment considering its shortcomings. But I don’t think so. It seems to have kept up with the massive changes to college football quite well despite it being out of production for so long.

100%, I'm loving it

100%, I'm loving it
Ditto, I'm not going to let a few quirks here and there tuin the experience. They'll probably have some updates to iron out a few major issues and even if not, I'm still good with it.

I’m hoping so. Really loved how 14 played and the players moved.

I just downloaded the game to an Xbox S this week "for my boys." :)

Dragan Kesich doesn't appear to be able to kick it past the 10-15 yard line on kickoffs, at least on the beginner mode.

I had 3 punt returns for TD against Wisconsin in an 87-0 route. I don't think punt returns should be that easy. Howard and Joyner combined for something like 12 sacks. Wisconsin sucks.

Dragan Kesich doesn't appear to be able to kick it past the 10-15 yard line on kickoffs, at least on the beginner mode.

I had 3 punt returns for TD against Wisconsin in an 87-0 route. I don't think punt returns should be that easy. Howard and Joyner combined for something like 12 sacks. Wisconsin sucks.
I agree. And maybe you're ready to move on from beginner mode?

When you KO, press and HOLD until the arrow fills up for your power.

You're welcome. It took me forever to figure that out 😂😂

To the complainers/worriers...game has minor faults but is super fun!

Haha well why are you playing on junior varsity?

Just got mine today. I had fun, but we'll see what happens when I crank it above Freshman level. Lindenberg picked two, one for a TD, one where he got tackled at the one foot line in a 56 - 17 drubbing of UNC. I'm OK, but the only football game I've played in the past decade is EA Sports NCAA 2014. I'm sure it gets to be a lot more challenging.

Last edited:

So far mostly good. I haven't played football games much since NCAA 2014.

Defense is hard. I find most of my games on Varsity (2nd difficulty) level are very high scoring, especially in the pass game. Brosmer is on track for a Heisman but the pass D is a sieve.

As with Madden it feels much harder to control your defense vs. your offense, and I often felt helpless to stop even average offenses. UNC put up over 90% completions against me. But scoring is easy and I'm leading the nation in points on 5 minute quarters.

Kick returns are impossible. Punt returns are almost impossible. Defending them is turbo easy so it becomes a strategy to not kick touchbacks because you can almost always stop the opponent inside the 20.

Place kicks are hard but getting the hang of them. RPOs are difficult to execute and take practice.

There's a disproportionate number of running into the kicker/punter penalties. I would say I've had more of those than all other penalties put together. All other penalty types are too rare.

Passing timing feels more realistic than other football games I played in the past, where scrambling around an unrealistic amount with the QB was a mainstay.

I hope they can fix the "Skee-U-Mah" chant for the Gophers in an update patch. A lot of the songs and music clips are realistic for the stadium. I was hoping to get Purple Lamborghini but we got Mo Bamba instead.

There's some well done custom color commentary about former players and moments for other teams but the Gophers don't seem to have any except for "we have a Heisman and a Nagurski" in the intros.

It would have been nice if they had licensed the coaches. Not seeing Mack Brown or Kirk Ferentz on the other side takes some realism away from the game.

The stadium is nicely rendered and realistic. Wish they would have got the skyline into the background, and putting the Dramatic Gopher on the board during a FG would be a nice touch for next year.

The game is AWESOME. I cannot believe people are complaining about it...
It's a big upgrade from football games of the past. I still remember the first college football game I ever played, Super Play Action Football for SNES. Where Minnesota had games with Pursue and kids aspired to attend Fluke and Standard.

It's a big leap forward reviving a dormant franchise with all new possibilities. I look forward to next year's game (or upcoming patches) where some of the rougher edges like "Skee-U-Mah" should be smoothed.

It's a big upgrade from football games of the past. I still remember the first college football game I ever played, Super Play Action Football for SNES. Where Minnesota had games with Pursue and kids aspired to attend Fluke and Standard.

It's a big leap forward reviving a dormant franchise with all new possibilities. I look forward to next year's game (or upcoming patches) where some of the rougher edges like "Skee-U-Mah" should be smoothed.
EA could easily reach out to each fan base by having a poll/ survey about changes that need to be made and get pretty strong feedback. Maybe they ask each fan base for three changes they'd like to see regarding their team. Boom bam

Top Bottom