All Things EA College Football 25

EA could easily reach out to each fan base by having a poll/ survey about changes that need to be made and get pretty strong feedback. Maybe they ask each fan base for three changes they'd like to see regarding their team. Boom bam
Yep, good idea. Mine for Minnesota:
  • It's sky-u-mah
  • Can we get the Mpls skyline in the background? It's a big part of the stadium setting.
  • Moar trophy stuff. Run across the field and grab it. Carry it around. Show it on the sideline at the start of Q4. It was cool how they put the Axe chopping in, but there's nothing special for Floyd. (obviously this impacts us more than any other school)

Got the game yesterday. Only played 2.5 games (I cut my thumb making dinner which made it difficult).

Tried on the Varsity (second) level to start. I was way out of practice from Madden - hadn't played since winter, so I got killed by Iowa (boo!). Switched to freshman level to get re-acclimated and proceeded to beat Hawaii 63-0. My son and I played a game then - I was the Gophers and he was Iowa State (I won, but he hadn't played yet - I suspect he'll be beating me within a day or two).

The complaints I've read here and elsewhere are nitpicky IMO. They did a really good job. Keep in mind that there are 32 teams in Madden, and 134 in NCAA 25. That's a lot more players, teams, stadiums, playbooks etc. they had to develop.

My only complaint is that the change to the way you kick is clunky and difficult. They should have kept it the same as Madden was, at least through last year. Also, it's really easy to sack the QB and to be sacked. My son mentioned the lack of O-Line protection and I've heard it mentioned elsewhere. QB's should have a little more time.

And if you are playing on the easiest level and you run a jet sweep, you're probably going to score or come close every time. It's like Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl.

Just started a RTG with a 5-star home grown QB for the Gophers.

Lost a close one to UNC after almost pulling off a come from behind win. Struggled to get the run game going as Taylor got a little banged up early.

Next week oddly struggled against FCS East (which comes up as Air Force when I try to view the box score). We were barely leading for most of the game before exploding for 32 points in the 4th quarter.

Nevada was an easy ground and pound victory with just enough passing to keep ‘em honest.

Iowa was weird. 43-27. How did the score 27 points I don’t know as I’m just controlling the QB. Also, the AI picked it for a FREAKING GOLD OUT GAME!

Next up we beat #8 Michigan in OT on 2pt conversions 29-27! But…somehow we aren’t ranked. Should be if we can beat USC at home next week.

Hopefully that UNC loss doesn’t come back to spoil a playoff run.

Last edited:

Iowa was weird. 43-27. How did the score 27 points I don’t know as I’m just controlling the QB. Also, the AI picked it for a FREAKING GOLD OUT GAME!
It's funny how "the computer" has now become "the AI" in common usage. I notice it all over the place.

Playing against the computer in a football video game is one of the first examples of semi-complex AI I can think of, and it dates back close to 40 years now.

It's my personal belief that Tecmo Super Bowl (the 2nd one from 1991 with the full rosters and stats and all 28 teams) is one of the 5 most significant video games of all time.

Not only was it the first sports video game I'm aware of to have full scheduled seasons, stats, rosters, it was also revolutionary as one of the earliest examples of semi intelligent AI that wasn't just sprites moving in defined patterns like a Mario game.

It's funny how "the computer" has now become "the AI" in common usage. I notice it all over the place.

Playing against the computer in a football video game is one of the first examples of semi-complex AI I can think of, and it dates back close to 40 years now.

It's my personal belief that Tecmo Super Bowl (the 2nd one from 1991 with the full rosters and stats and all 28 teams) is one of the 5 most significant video games of all time.

Not only was it the first sports video game I'm aware of to have full scheduled seasons, stats, rosters, it was also revolutionary as one of the earliest examples of semi intelligent AI that wasn't just sprites moving in defined patterns like a Mario game.
I hated the playoffs in that game! Good luck touching Bo Jackson or tackling Christian Okoye 😣

Got the game yesterday. Only played 2.5 games (I cut my thumb making dinner which made it difficult).

Tried on the Varsity (second) level to start. I was way out of practice from Madden - hadn't played since winter, so I got killed by Iowa (boo!). Switched to freshman level to get re-acclimated and proceeded to beat Hawaii 63-0. My son and I played a game then - I was the Gophers and he was Iowa State (I won, but he hadn't played yet - I suspect he'll be beating me within a day or two).

The complaints I've read here and elsewhere are nitpicky IMO. They did a really good job. Keep in mind that there are 32 teams in Madden, and 134 in NCAA 25. That's a lot more players, teams, stadiums, playbooks etc. they had to develop.

My only complaint is that the change to the way you kick is clunky and difficult. They should have kept it the same as Madden was, at least through last year. Also, it's really easy to sack the QB and to be sacked. My son mentioned the lack of O-Line protection and I've heard it mentioned elsewhere. QB's should have a little more time.

And if you are playing on the easiest level and you run a jet sweep, you're probably going to score or come close every time. It's like Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl.
LOL at the jet sweep comment. I found an outside zone that works wonders and got Darius a Heisman in my 2nd year.

PJ, take note 😂😂

LOL at the jet sweep comment. I found an outside zone that works wonders and got Darius a Heisman in my 2nd year.

PJ, take note 😂😂
There's a wildcat Jet Sweep play where you can make Darius Taylor win the Heisman on passing yards (if Sieh Bangura doesn't get it instead on receiving yards)

It acts like a running play but your wildcat RB (Taylor) will get passing stats and Bangura gets receiving stats. It's the best play I've found for the Gophers.

There's a wildcat Jet Sweep play where you can make Darius Taylor win the Heisman on passing yards (if Sieh Bangura doesn't get it instead on receiving yards)

It acts like a running play but your wildcat RB (Taylor) will get passing stats and Bangura gets receiving stats. It's the best play I've found for the Gophers.
All three of the wildcat plays are extremely effective.

SNK Baseball Stars for the NES. Where you could create your own players, teams and seasons.
I contend it's still the greatest console video game ever made.

SNK Baseball Stars for the NES. Where you could create your own players, teams and seasons.
I watched a video on YouTube recently that went over that game and the sentiment was that it was about 10-15 years ahead of its time and was a great achievement in forward thinking considering the available technology

I read somewhere the kicking being harder makes it more realistic to the college game vs the pro game. I didn't think of that before hand but it probably is more realistic there are more missed kicks in college.

Fleck mentioned in his B1G media days that if you move Aireontae Ersery to TE he is a 99 overall.

Robbing a home run from your buddy was so much damn fun

well i tried to give it a couple weeks to see how things ended up growing on me, but sheesh why was I optimistic EA wouldn't screw this up given their track record (I know it's a different group than those that did Madden) and that people have been waiting over a decade for this and there is a known cult following of it (the number of users still playing 14 is really impressive). Overall I'd give the game a 5/10. Seems like fans may be moving this way as well based on Twitch streamers and viewers but EA won't care as they've made an absolute bag already.

Gameplay
Love the speed of the game and how quickly players move (though some of the physics are a little, weird, for lack of a better word in how guys move at times), but man they got waaaaaaay too bogged down in the weeds with trying to make it like you are a coordinator or QB, reading defenses/shells, sliding coverages/protections, etc. and adjusting defensively presnap and didn't stop to focus on if that actually works in the game. Love the premise but man they missed the mark drastically. Even with slides of protection, multiple players on a given play just not blocking (yay 2 seconds to try throw the ball or getting instantly sacked on play action), your defenders, despite being told to shade the pass or play the correct favor in coverage, get smoked through the air like it's Manning playing 7v7 vs a Pop Warner team, or the game highlighting who to "read" on the zone read, them blitzing/you making the right read, but the game looping out someone else to hit you immediately. Add that to the continual running into the kicker penalties, receivers dropping almost every other pass, and the usual AI being AI (with it on Heisman, defenders are running the opposite way facing away from you and will stop to make a leaping interception or will randomly sit on a route despite being facing the wrong direction, though this isn't new) and it really takes the sheen off how "good" the game looks. The stadium difficulty is also a fun thing that I'm happy they've kept, but how they chose to have it impact the game is... confusing. Now you run hurry up and there's a chance that the play that comes in is entirely different than what was selected by the player (can the players not see the sideline because it's loud?). Love the addition of making players "rattled" from consecutive bad plays or your freshman struggling from the get go in a loud stadium, but at certain places it is way overpowered to the point where unless you personally memorize the playbook and what buttons certain players are on routes ahead of time, it's next to impossible.

Announcing
It's just awful. They recorded far too few intro quips, things to say live, etc that you're just hearing the same thing over and over (I swear I could hear the "if you're going to get hit that hard, you might as well catch it" line in my sleep). It's cool they thought to add touches like "MN has everything from a Heisman to a Nagurski" in that they're fun lines, but then you get clumsy things like the "we have a team from the Big Ten (large, obvious break) Wisconsin, here to take on another team from the Big Ten (large, obvious break) Minnesota". Add that to that the announcing has no emotion when things happen and isn't synced timing wise and it just comes off as disappointing. If you're not going to record more, add more things that make college FB unique like the band/music

College Fanfare
The dynamic crowd is pretty cool but ffs what did they decide that college students wear? Then we get random other teams mascots on the sidelines and the Wisconsin Badger and fans celebrating when they throw a pick to lose the game. Just a lot of random bugs that are noticeable unfortunately.

Game modes
To be blunt, dynasty is pretty easy. Recruiting is "hackable" and I have the Gophers getting top 5 classes on Heisman in the second season and landing 10+ 5stars by season 3 once the team tradition gets better. The team ratings are waaaaaaaaay too close to the point (and upsets must be far too "likely" given GA is losing to the likes of Kent State every year despite being rated 15 pts higher) where you're getting no team in a tougher conference finishing with less than 2 losses then by random chance you're getting an NC St or similar who go undefeated and it massively elevates their standing to now where they're in the playoff every year after 2 seasons. Overall it just feels too "easy" provided you can win games (or just the right games when recruits are visiting so your team with new recruits becomes overpowered). The coaching side of it and upgrading is also an interesting addition, but again its hackable (just make your coach massively recruiting buffed, the rest is relatively irrelevant).

RTG is probably the biggest disappointment for me. I've done 2 of them just to play both ends of the spectrum and there's no incentive to playing as a 2 star to sit on the bench at your dream school (or play at Kennesaw State to level up), do practice every single week and earning "trust" for no real reason that's helpful, and having minimal ability to improve your player (you're going up 3-5 points/year depending on the position you play) to the point where it just feels grossly repeptitive and mindless (study 1x/week, workout 1-2x/week, leadership 1x/week, recovery 1x/week and you're optimized if you're actually playing; no recovery if you're on the bench. The NIL thing is pointless). As a 4-5 star instant starter most places, the pace at which you can level up your player is pretty impressive, especially when you add to it that they start you in the upper 70s/low 80s and the best QB on the game is a 92 (Sanders). The playcalling is brutal if you're a QB so you just end up playing no huddle every game. The still being able to import your guy to Madden is "fun", but clearly is just a money grab to try sell more copies. Hard pass.

College ultimate team is just a money grab. Would've been nice if they'd put this money and time into the features that fans actually wanted (ie the college fanfare and a more robust RTG game mode, celebrations with the trophies rather than your guys just high fiving after winning the Axe). Ditto could be said for the adding like 80 random "skills" that different players can have that are for the most part, useless as well as next to impossible to see while you are playing the game (the icons are waaaay too small).

As a note, how in the fuck did EA not think hey maybe we should add a tutorial? They have little text boxes that tell you how to keep the ball (that work some) and are different if you're running the option or an RPO, the kicking game is really finicky, the passing stuff is entirely changed if you've stayed away from Madden. I feel bad for a lot of folks who have no idea how to play the game and it would make a tough game utterly unplayable.

I'm hoping that with some time the bugs will get worked out to make it more enjoyable to play or dynasty more engaging/difficult to recruit and build up a team, but as someone who played 14 for years after it came out, this one's not really bringing me back. sorry for the long post, but felt the need to rant about it for a second as my significant other is probably real sick of me complaining about Ersery deciding to entirely not block for Brosmer for the 200th time.

Last edited:

PJ, take note 😂😂
that outside zone play is guaranteed 20+ yards almost every time, especially if you shift the blocking.

My biggest complaint is I'll have to buy a new Xbox to play it....

The stats/record keeping is criminally barebones and are missing basic things anyone familiar with excel could've plopped in there. That and some quality of life stuff. The UI is pretty poor. I'm still good with the gameplay, although there are absolutely some games where it seems like your defensive AI purposely puts themselves in shit positions in coverage so the computer can get a cheap td to make the game more competitive/difficult. It's also immensely frustrating when your stud DE is blowing by Georgia offensive linemen in one game and then in the next he can barely make a lineman from Akron budge. Definitely computer assistance in some games.

I believe it also allowed for player improvements from "money" that was won if I remember correctly. Way ahead of it's time.

Top Bottom