All Things Dain Dainja Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020) Gophers Offered

Stay classy GH.

Pitino loses another in-state priority, and we have to go with the “Baylor is scum” story.

The bigger question is will Pitino land any of the top 2020 priorities...
The real question is is it really a recruiting loss when you have other priorities and really didn't put much time in on the kid?

The real question is is it really a recruiting loss when you have other priorities and really didn't put much time in on the kid?

Dainja is a stud. His dad went to the U. It's on us if we didn't recruit him hard.

Dainja is a stud. His dad went to the U. It's on us if we didn't recruit him hard.
So is Garcia, so is Carlson, so is Crowl, not gonna get them all. Pitino has gotten better in state players than Fleck. The best instate guys Fleck has were all recruited by Kill and Claeys

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

So is Garcia, so is Carlson, so is Crowl, not gonna get them all. Pitino has gotten better in state players than Fleck. The best instate guys Fleck has were all recruited by Kill and Claeys

Maybe you can focus on the topic at hand? Why do you want to compare a football coach who has been here 2 years to a basketball coach who has been here 6? Sounds like fear is setting in...

Losing Dainja isn’t the end of the world. As long as you get someone else just as good or better, regardless of where they are from? Will Richard pull it off? Time will tell...

Pitino on a big losing streak for in state recruits...needs to turn that around this year

Jarvis, Coffey, Oturu, Kalscheur...
But don’t let facts get in the way of your argument

Dainja is good but it’s clear he wasn’t a priority for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jarvis, Coffey, Oturu, Kalacheur...

Jarvis and Coffey were 4 years ago. Oturu and Kalsceur were 2 years ago. He has a great crop of 2020 in-state recruits. Make it happen and we’ll all be quiet and sing his praises.

I bring up Fleck because you're an unapologetic hypocrite in your support of all things PJ, you don't get to come on here and bash Pitino for instate recruiting when he is our performing your precious Fleck. Pitino farther ahead now, just like he was farther ahead in it after year two heading into year three. I could honestly care less about losing Daija, we seem to move on pretty quickly from guys who don't show much interest and I am okay with that

I bring up Fleck because you're an unapologetic hypocrite in your support of all things PJ, you don't get to come on here and bash Pitino for instate recruiting when he is our performing your precious Fleck. Pitino farther ahead now, just like he was farther ahead in it after year two heading into year three. I could honestly care less about losing Daija, we seem to move on pretty quickly from guys who don't show much interest and I am okay with that

I’d be happy to discuss Fleck’s recruiting... on the football board.

I don’t know why it matters when discussing Dainja and Pitino’s recruiting. I don’t think Pitino after 6 seasons is necessarily ahead of anyone with regards to wins/losses or recruiting.

Jarvis and Coffey were 4 years ago. Oturu and Kalsceur were 2 years ago. He has a great crop of 2020 in-state recruits. Make it happen and we’ll all be quiet and sing his praises.

Personally, I doubt this

Or we stopped recruiting him when he made it clear he wasn't coming here. We don't have a ton of proof to prove either theory.

There was something said on the pay sites a little while back to the effect that Minnesota and other schools seemed to be backing off of him for non-basketball reasons, so I don't think it's correct to portray this as Pitino making him a top priority and just getting outworked by Baylor. I also recall there is someone in the Baylor basketball program who has some sort of connection to Minnesota, can't remember his name or his role or anything, but Baylor has given offers out to quite a few Minnesota players: Dawson Garcia, Kerwin Walton, Jalen Suggs, Zeke Nnaji, Tyrell Terry, Tre Jones, Race Thompson, Amir Coffey, Jarvis Johnson, and Tyus Jones.

Matthew Hurt, Zeke Nnaji, Tyrell Terry, David Roddy, Tyler Wahl, Dain Dainja. Pitino needs to do better.

Matthew Hurt, Zeke Nnaji, Tyrell Terry, David Roddy, Tyler Wahl, Dain Dainja. Pitino needs to do better.

Shouldnt count Dain in that group honeslty, theres a reason Pitino didnt recruit him hard.

You dont think theres a legit reason why Pitino didnt recruit him hard? Lot of schools backed off him. Theres more to this story.

Minnesota kids? I'll take a whole team of German kids if they're like the one coming this summer that has never played 1 minute of B1G. Seriously. As a frosh I expect he will be everything we lost in Coffey leaving (by B1G time).

Last edited:

Minnesota kids? I'll take a whole team of German kids if they're like the one coming this summer that has never played 1 minute of B1G. Seriously. As a frosh I expect he will be everything we lost in Coffey leaving (by B1G time).
....Zero chance he is as productive next season as Amir was last season

Yeah a 247 composite national 40th rated prospect is not a priority....Grow up... Streak as in 6 straight in state offers decided to turn down pitino

Yeah a 247 composite national 40th rated prospect is not a priority....Grow up... Streak as in 6 straight in state offers decided to turn down pitino

Sounds like you are in the market for a bridge.

Matthew Hurt was a top 10 recruit who could go to any school in the country.

Zeke Nnaji was a top 40 recruit who ended up signing with a school that has brought in 5 top 5 recruiting classes in the past 8 years.

Tyrell Terry was a point guard who, at the time he committed, probably looked like he would be playing behind Marcus Carr and Isaiah Washington if he came here.

Isaiah Ihnen is ranked higher than Tyler Wahl at about the same position.

Plus I'm pretty sure we're at or near the top of the Big Ten as far as number of in-state players on our roster. And as I said earlier, I'm pretty sure there's more to the story than that we simply got beat out by Baylor.

Why are people complaining about implications that Baylor pays players? If you go to Baylor or Kansas or Kentucky or schools of that Ilk you’re either getting illicit payments or you’re a terrible negotiator. It would’ve been nice to get dainja but let’s see how the class shakes out before panicking.

I know we have made tourney 2 out of 3 years and if two years ago wasnt a crazy year maybe 3 years in a row making tourney, but I guess to make tourney we need Minnesota kids. Cant force kids to go here. Big ten program that's made tourney 2 of 3 years. Good school. Great town. Pretty sure it isn't Pitino that hasnt gone after him hard. Kids just decide they want to go out of state, but it isn't the lack of Pitino trying hard.

David Roddy was never a take, you really think he chose CSU over two big ten schools?

Streak as in 6 straight in state offers decided to turn down pitino

And I'd bet not every one of those 6 will turn into major impact players for their teams. Pitino has to get the right Minnesota kids, not just a Minnesota kid.

And not mentioned by Cayman above, Terry also chose Stanford. I'd never fault a kid for actually valuing education when making his choice.

The 2019 class from Minnesota isn't one to get hung up about at all. Wahl sucks, he's like another mike hurt, Roddy was never a take and honestly we dodged a bullet that he didn't commit if his offer was ever committable. You're right Terry was a miss for sure, would love to have that kid in the program. Pitino should've recruited him earlier. Matt Hurt and Nnaji were never staying no matter what Pitino did. Obviously would've been great to get one of Hurt/Nnaji but realistically that wasn't going to happen, and no reason to settle for the leftovers from MN. The out of state guys who committed are miles better than Wahl and Roddy. You have to take the best players you can get and idgaf what state they're from.

Garcia, Suggs, Walton, and now Madsen are the top local targets for 2020. If Pitino has a leg up with them because they want to stay home, that's great and we should welcome them with open arms. If there are better players from out of state who want to come here, even better. If these guys have already made up their minds they're going to blue blood programs, there's not anything that can be done and you have to look elsewhere and get the best guys you can.

Regarding Dainja, there's something going on behind the scenes as its clear Pitino never recruited him hard. Definitely a great player but you also have to question the fit with the program. Something has scared a few programs off no doubt.

The 2019 class from Minnesota isn't one to get hung up about at all. Wahl sucks, he's like another mike hurt, Roddy was never a take and honestly we dodged a bullet that he didn't commit if his offer was ever committable. You're right Terry was a miss for sure, would love to have that kid in the program. Pitino should've recruited him earlier. Matt Hurt and Nnaji were never staying no matter what Pitino did. Obviously would've been great to get one of Hurt/Nnaji but realistically that wasn't going to happen, and no reason to settle for the leftovers from MN. The out of state guys who committed are miles better than Wahl and Roddy. You have to take the best players you can get and idgaf what state they're from.

Garcia, Suggs, Walton, and now Madsen are the top local targets for 2020. If Pitino has a leg up with them because they want to stay home, that's great and we should welcome them with open arms. If there are better players from out of state who want to come here, even better. If these guys have already made up their minds they're going to blue blood programs, there's not anything that can be done and you have to look elsewhere and get the best guys you can.

Regarding Dainja, there's something going on behind the scenes as its clear Pitino never recruited him hard. Definitely a great player but you also have to question the fit with the program. Something has scared a few programs off no doubt.

Blue bloods are not options for Walton or Madsen. As for Wahl sucking, You do know he can guard 3 positions, understands sides offense, is a great passer, really good handle, high basketball idea and a ferocious rebounder. He is a below average shooter but is easily a plus player.

David Roddy was never a take, you really think he chose CSU over two big ten schools?
He had a Gopher offer. I don't think they offered for ****s and giggles. Perhaps he just saw more playing time for himeself at CSU. He would certainly fill a need now with Amir leaving (same with Wahl).

Matthew Hurt was a top 10 recruit who could go to any school in the country.

Zeke Nnaji was a top 40 recruit who ended up signing with a school that has brought in 5 top 5 recruiting classes in the past 8 years.

Tyrell Terry was a point guard who, at the time he committed, probably looked like he would be playing behind Marcus Carr and Isaiah Washington if he came here.

Isaiah Ihnen is ranked higher than Tyler Wahl at about the same position.

Plus I'm pretty sure we're at or near the top of the Big Ten as far as number of in-state players on our roster. And as I said earlier, I'm pretty sure there's more to the story than that we simply got beat out by Baylor.
Yeah, you're right, why would a top 10 or top 40 player want to stay in state to play B1G basketball, how ridiculous.

Top Bottom