All things D2 and D3 football 2022

I think an important thing with "grandfathered" DIII schools that had DI programs was the ability to still offer athletic scholarships just in those programs.

There (used to be?) different groups of DIII schools playing DI hockey, those that could offer scholarships and those that could not (came after the grandfathering).

I'm not positive, but that particular aspect of the rules (maybe just in hockey?) might've have been done away with very recently, so that now any DI "play-up" can offer them.
I think the grandfathered in schools can all offer scholarships. There may be some other instances of grandfathering in lower level schools who traditionally played D1 in one sport. Lacrosse comes to mind.

There are good reasons to no longer allow schools to play up in one sport except these legacy programs. You'd have a bunch of schools go D1 in basketball only with the hopes of getting into the NCAA tournament, and if you only had one D1 sport at your school, you could fund it over and above everything else, which would probably violate title IX or something.

MIAC schedule for this week - first round of conference games

St. Scholastica (1-1) at Augsburg (2-0)
Carleton (2-0) at Hamline (2-0)
Gustavus (1-1) at Concordia (2-0)
St. John's (2-0) at Bethel (1-1)
St. Olaf (1-1) at Macalester (2-0)

It looks like Martin Luther College in New Ulm is having much less success than Martin Luther the theologian.

MIAC schedule for this week - first round of conference games

St. Scholastica (1-1) at Augsburg (2-0)
Carleton (2-0) at Hamline (2-0)
Gustavus (1-1) at Concordia (2-0)
St. John's (2-0) at Bethel (1-1)
St. Olaf (1-1) at Macalester (2-0)
It looks like STU and SJU have outgrown the MIAC.

I grew up in Northfield, loved going to both Carleton & St Olaf games as a kid. I don't make it back much anymore for football games with the Gopher schedule, but do for a handful of basketball games.

A good excuse to also get a Basil's pizza.
When they play each other, is that the "Cereal Bowl"? (note to others, Post cereal has a big factory in Northfield).

I think the grandfathered in schools can all offer scholarships. There may be some other instances of grandfathering in lower level schools who traditionally played D1 in one sport. Lacrosse comes to mind.

There are good reasons to no longer allow schools to play up in one sport except these legacy programs. You'd have a bunch of schools go D1 in basketball only with the hopes of getting into the NCAA tournament, and if you only had one D1 sport at your school, you could fund it over and above everything else, which would probably violate title IX or something.
Yes, there are. Johns Hopkins in lacrosse is directly relevant for the Big Ten. I think there is a baseball program and maybe wrestling programs too?

I was just saying that I believe it was the case in hockey that there were allowed "play ups" as DIII schools in DI hockey but that were not allowed to offer scholarships. I believe mainly in the NE. But can't recall if that rule was done away with recently, I feel like it was.

OK, I got un-lazy enough to look it up. It was in Jan that they changed the rule. So in fact, it was only affecting all of TWO programs at the DI college hockey level. Both DIII schools playing up, but were not allowed to offer scholarships. Union and RIT

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2022/01/22_RIT,-Union-Granted-Approval.php

The NCAA's Division III membership voted Saturday morning to allow D-III schools playing D-I sports, to apply all D-I rules to their programs. That includes the ability to give athletic scholarships.

The vote was 388-18 in favor, with 39 abstentions.

In hockey, the immediate affect is that RIT and Union (men and women) can now give scholarships. RIT upgraded its hockey program to Division I in 2006 while remaining a D-III institution overall. That move came after a 2004 decision that grandfathered historical D-I playing D-III schools (Colorado College, Clarkson, RPI, St. Lawrence) into being able to give scholarships.

Union, which started playing D-I hockey in 1991, had never chosen to give scholarships, and so were also not part of the grandfather clause.

In 2020, the NCAA granted the ability for D-III programs to apply all D-I rules except athletic scholarships. That final gap has now been closed.

OK, I got un-lazy enough to look it up. It was in Jan that they changed the rule. So in fact, it was only affecting all of TWO programs at the DI college hockey level. Both DIII schools playing up, but were not allowed to offer scholarships. Union and RIT

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2022/01/22_RIT,-Union-Granted-Approval.php

The NCAA's Division III membership voted Saturday morning to allow D-III schools playing D-I sports, to apply all D-I rules to their programs. That includes the ability to give athletic scholarships.

The vote was 388-18 in favor, with 39 abstentions.

In hockey, the immediate affect is that RIT and Union (men and women) can now give scholarships. RIT upgraded its hockey program to Division I in 2006 while remaining a D-III institution overall. That move came after a 2004 decision that grandfathered historical D-I playing D-III schools (Colorado College, Clarkson, RPI, St. Lawrence) into being able to give scholarships.

Union, which started playing D-I hockey in 1991, had never chosen to give scholarships, and so were also not part of the grandfather clause.

In 2020, the NCAA granted the ability for D-III programs to apply all D-I rules except athletic scholarships. That final gap has now been closed.

The Northeast loves their hockey. I heard Utica is looking to move from D3 to D2 so they can play D1 hockey (hopefully not repeating this from earlier in the thread). Apparently, their hockey program averages 3,400 fans per game which is pretty good for a lot of small D1 programs.

When they play each other, is that the "Cereal Bowl"? (note to others, Post cereal has a big factory in Northfield).
Ahh yes, I recall visiting friends at St. Olaf when I was in college. When the wind is just right, the campus smelled like Malt-O-Meal. The rest of the time, it smelled like whatever manure they were spreading on the fields north and west of campus. :pig::poop:

Yes, still referenced as the Cereal Bowl, though the trophy on the line is "The Goat".

Works out this year for me, they play on Oct 8. Gophers have a bye.

Last edited:

It looks like Martin Luther College in New Ulm is having much less success than Martin Luther the theologian.

There is a joke in there somewhere about Martin Luther getting nailed to the door.

(hey, I took 4 semesters of Religion in college........)

NDSU isn’t all inflated and bad, despite their wacky weird fan base. Here they are lending a hand today to a fellow lower division team (Gustavus, before they play the Cobbers tomorrow).

Ahh yes, I recall visiting friends at St. Olaf when I was in college. When the wind is just right, the campus smelled like Malt-O-Meal. The rest of the time, it smelled like whatever manure they were spreading on the fields north and west of campus. :pig::poop:
Try going to college in Moorhead with the Crystal Sugar plant north of town. I remember the first time smelling that. Ugh.

NDSU isn’t all inflated and bad, despite their wacky weird fan base. Here they are lending a hand today to a fellow lower division team (Gustavus, before they play the Cobbers tomorrow).

I think this is fairly common. I had a walk through at Camp Randall before the first college football game in St Scholastica history. I’ll have you all know I didn’t miss a kick that entire walk through!!

The building to the right is their brand new indoor practice facility: https://gobison.com/facilities/nodak-insurance-football-performance-complex/41

That's a P5 level facility (compare it to the one Kansas built a couple years ago, for example).

Silly that they're still left in FCS, when so many teams they've battled in the playoffs the past decade -- many of them now in the Sun Belt or CUSA -- have moved up.

The building to the right is their brand new indoor practice facility: https://gobison.com/facilities/nodak-insurance-football-performance-complex/41

That's a P5 level facility (compare it to the one Kansas built a couple years ago, for example).

Silly that they're still left in FCS, when so many teams they've battled in the playoffs the past decade -- many of them now in the Sun Belt or CUSA -- have moved up.
I have a lot of friends who are Bison fans. There are some roadblocks.

1. First and foremost, it's a geographic issue. The only two conferences that are even remotely close, are the MWC and the MAC, and Fargo would be an outlier for either. It's similar to the problem Idaho had and thus moved back down.

2. I've heard, but I don't know, that there is a certain segment of leadership both with the regents/Board of Education and the legislature, that don't want to entertain this idea unless UND also gets to move up. They don't want the situation repeated where NDSU moved to D1, and UND was still D2 for a few years. NDSU obviously has the powerhouse football program, but UND is still the larger school.

3. Money. UND was in the Big Sky for a few years with the Montana Schools, Idaho St., EWU etc. They ended up going to the Valley/Summit because of travel costs, and also ended up dropping some sports (women's hockey being the most controversial). Pretty sure the Board of Education controls both UND and NDSU, and might not be amenable to spending more money on either program.

Bethel’s QB went 8/27 for 76 yards last week. Is he the normal starter?

Bethel’s QB went 8/27 for 76 yards last week. Is he the normal starter?
I believe that was a backup playing (George Bolt, Jr) as Bethel has a pretty good Sr QB. Great example of how these rosters have former HS studs on them btw:

Jaran Roste QB - Alexandria
While in high school, Jaran was a Mr. Football Finalist, All-State, All-Conference, All-Section

Gustavus has been beating Concordia like a drum in recent years to easily establish themselves as the MIAC’s third best program. They do need to step up and finally slay the SJU and Bethel dragons.

Gustavus has been beating Concordia like a drum in recent years to easily establish themselves as the MIAC’s third best program. They do need to step up and finally slay the SJU and Bethel dragons.

It will be a tall task this week vs. Bethel if they don't have the starting QB and WR back as the offense struggled to move the ball at times today. The defense played really well.

Here are the NSIC results for this week. Minnesota teams in bold
Augustana defeated Northern State 21-13
Sioux Falls defeated Minnesota Duluth 34-31
Winona State defeated Minnesoat State Moorhead 40-7
Minnesota State Mankato defeated UMary 31-28
Bemidji State defeated Upper Iowa 48-22
Southwest Minnesota State defeated Minot State 27-20
Wayne State defeated Concordia St. Paul 48-21

Standings are now
1. Augustana (4-0)
1. Sioux Falls (4-0)
1. Wayne State (4-0)
4. Minnesota State-Mankato (3-1)
4. Southwest Minnesota State (3-1)
4. Winona State (3-1)
7. Bemidji State (2-2)
7. Minnesota-Duluth (2-2)
7. Northern State (2-2)
10. Minnesota State-Moorhead (1-3)
11. Concordia-St. Paul (0-4)
11. Mary (0-4)
11. Minot State (0-4)
11. Upper Iowa (0-4)

Next week the games are:
MSU-Moorhead @ UMD
MSU-Mankato
@ CSP
Wayne @ Winona
Bemidji
@ Minot
SFU @ Aug
NSU @ Mary
UIU @ SW MN ST

Season not going well for the Dragons. Hoping they can turn it around and upset Duluth.

Here is the AFCA Division II poll from Sept. 26. NSIC teams in bold, Minnesota teams in italics.
  1. Ferris State (3-0)
  2. Grand Valley State (4-0)
  3. Angelo State (4-0)
  4. Shepherd (4-0)
  5. West Georgia (3-0)
  6. Ouachita Baptist (4-0)
  7. Newberry (4-0)
  8. Slippery Rock (4-0)
  9. Ashland (3-0)
  10. Pittsburg State (4-0)
  11. Augustana (4-0)
  12. Northwest Missouri State (3-1)
  13. Valdosta State (3-1)
  14. Indianapolis (3-0)
  15. West Florida (2-1)
  16. Harding (3-1)
  17. Saginaw Valley State (4-0)
  18. Notre Dame (3-1)
  19. Lenoir-Rhyne (3-1)
  20. Virginia Union (4-0)
  21. Albany State (3-1)
  22. Colorado School of Mines (2-2)
  23. Nebraska-Kearney (3-1)
  24. New Haven (3-1)
  25. Delta State (4-0)

Others Receiving Votes
Indiana (PA), Sioux Falls, Texas A&M-Kingsville, Washburn, Midwestern State, Henderson State, Wayne State (NE), Western Colorado, Benedict, Fort Valley State, Truman State, Minnesota State-Mankato

Here are the NSIC results for this week. Minnesota teams in bold
Augustana defeated Northern State 21-13
Sioux Falls defeated Minnesota Duluth 34-31
Winona State defeated Minnesoat State Moorhead 40-7
Minnesota State Mankato defeated UMary 31-28
Bemidji State defeated Upper Iowa 48-22
Southwest Minnesota State defeated Minot State 27-20
Wayne State defeated Concordia St. Paul 48-21

Standings are now
1. Augustana (4-0)
1. Sioux Falls (4-0)
1. Wayne State (4-0)
4. Minnesota State-Mankato (3-1)
4. Southwest Minnesota State (3-1)
4. Winona State (3-1)
7. Bemidji State (2-2)
7. Minnesota-Duluth (2-2)
7. Northern State (2-2)
10. Minnesota State-Moorhead (1-3)
11. Concordia-St. Paul (0-4)
11. Mary (0-4)
11. Minot State (0-4)
11. Upper Iowa (0-4)

Next week the games are:
MSU-Moorhead @ UMD
MSU-Mankato
@ CSP
Wayne @ Winona
Bemidji
@ Minot
SFU @ Aug
NSU @ Mary
UIU @ SW MN ST

Season not going well for the Dragons. Hoping they can turn it around and upset Duluth.

Two Sioux Falls teams and another 80 miles south of Sioux Fall tied for first in the NSIC. Down the road in Sioux City, Morningside is ranked #1 in NAIA. I guess the northern prairies are a small college football mecca.

Once again, Carleton putting up big points. Interesting.

Top Bottom