All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

I'm tired tonight, so bear with me.

Gopher Hole for me has always been an escape. a fun little respite from reality.

but now, even on the sports-related sections, every thread takes about 3 or 4 posts before it just turns into the endless argument.

"I'm right because I found someone on the internet who agrees with me."

"No, I'm right because I found a different someone on the internet who agrees with me."

and on and on and on for 20 pages.

and covid has made things 100 times worse.

Sure, I have opinions, and I tend to think I'm right more often than not.

But I know I'm not perfect. I'm not infallible. I could be wrong. So I try to cut people at least a little slack.

Could people Please, Please dial it down a little bit? Please?
Totally agree. Idiots from both sides find some “study” that seemingly supports their stance and act like it’s the final say on the matter. This board is becoming unreadable.

Here’s the actual problem: the gross OTB people have slithered up onto the sports forum.

They don’t care about Gopher sports. Can we please ban theee folks to the OTB, where they belong?? Less, Ogee, etc. Thankfully felton was banned.

You should be lumped in that group as well if I'm being honest.

Does anyone think that if we had a different commissioner the B1G wouldn't have cancelled the fall season? I dont.

Is the reason they cancelled the football season about liability? YES

Is covid ruining our economy and college football? YES YES

Should 18-20 year old men risk infection by playing because they will most likely be asymptomatic? NO

I don't think the other 3 conference's season will go well and many games will be cancelled. The likelihood of B1G spring season is 50% in my mind. This board is a reflection of the times and nutty OTB guys and those willing to engage with them have certainly fouled up the atmosphere. But opinions are like....

Of course. I suspect the preponderance of evidence will support cardiac damage after Covid infection. There are multiple preprints on bioRxiv and medRxiv on this topic. From an athletics perspective the question will be how frequent and how severe. Probably reasonable to have an EKG, cardiac enzyme/metabolite panel, and an echo before returning to the field after Covid infection.

Of course it will. Thats a given. The question is how often, how severe vs baseline. Hyperbolic discourse on the topic is not helpful or illuminating. Everything is a matter of degrees and grade of severity.

Post the mentioned papers, if you don’t mind.

100% agree. I have cut way back on posting because it's so toxic here. Even took the bookmark off my phone to remind me not to visit so often.

It's been bad lately.

But it has always been bad IMO unless you use the ignore feature a lot.... it has hardly ever been without a lot of BS / negativity and such.

Last edited:

Again, for posterity: if you’re just an MD, and the topic is not specifically about medicines and which diseases they’re approved for treatment — your opinion doesn’t mean jack squat! You’re not an expert!

Only random tweeters, sports writers, and internet posters have COVID legitimacy - interesting POV. Does this include Dr. Fauci?

Only random tweeters, sports writers, and internet posters have COVID legitimacy - interesting POV. Does this include Dr. Fauci?
Making up stuff again? I've never said any such thing, or implied it.

No answer for what I actually said, of course.

The director of the NIAID? Quite obviously the spokesperson for an organization of scientists, is an expert.

Last edited:

I would say for a small community, it's actually surprisingly not good here compared to other small groups on the internet.
I've never been to an internet message board that didn't have a lot of assholes spewing hatred at each other. That of course doesn't prove that they don't exist.

100% agree. I have cut way back on posting because it's so toxic here. Even took the bookmark off my phone to remind me not to visit so often.

Totally agree. Idiots from both sides find some “study” that seemingly supports their stance and act like it’s the final say on the matter. This board is becoming unreadable.

Is this code for people don’t agree with me, so I’m taking my ball...

This is a discussion board. Unfortunately COVID has affected everything in our society including sports. Should misleading or outright misinformation be left to fester unchallenged ? Of course there will be disagreements that occasionally devolve into insults. Human nature. Then we take a deep breath, or a day off and re-enter the fray. Nobody’s perfect.

I've never been to an internet message board that didn't have a lot of assholes spewing hatred at each other. That of course doesn't prove that they don't exist.

You need to go back to work. No offense, of course.

This is a discussion board. Unfortunately COVID has affected everything in our society including sports. Should misleading or outright misinformation be left to fester unchallenged ? Of course there will be disagreements that occasionally devolve into insults. Human nature. Then we take a deep breath, or a day off and re-enter the fray. Nobody’s perfect.
Bolded: hence why your dishonesty needs to be struck down, often.

Depends on size.

I find smaller internet communities can be surprisingly awesome.

Bolded: hence why your dishonesty needs to be struck down, often.

Here a hint why people are frustrated - you think you have all the answers. You don’t. Post some evidence supportive of your positions rather than insults.

Here a hint why people are frustrated - you think you have all the answers. You don’t. Post some evidence supportive of your positions rather than insults.
You've done nothing of the sort. Right back at ya.

All you care about is lobbying for reduced regulation. 737 Max. So your clients can get a cash grab from the government for their medical devices, which maybe will help, maybe not, unproven.

The brutal reality is this, there is no scientist or group of them in the world who can precisely answer the following questions:

- what is the exact set of bio-physical mechanics that causes SARS2 to be far less lethal than SARS?
- what is the exact set of bio-physical mechanics that causes some (young, health, no underlying conditions) people to become very sick and even die from SARS2, yet most people don't?

Such level of knowledge, doesn't exist. Humanity isn't there yet. Our abilities and knowledge are still at a much more macro level than that.

Therefore, the true answers we all crave, largely elude us.

I'm tired tonight, so bear with me.

Gopher Hole for me has always been an escape. a fun little respite from reality.

but now, even on the sports-related sections, every thread takes about 3 or 4 posts before it just turns into the endless argument.

"I'm right because I found someone on the internet who agrees with me."

"No, I'm right because I found a different someone on the internet who agrees with me."

and on and on and on for 20 pages.

and covid has made things 100 times worse.

Sure, I have opinions, and I tend to think I'm right more often than not.

But I know I'm not perfect. I'm not infallible. I could be wrong. So I try to cut people at least a little slack.

Could people Please, Please dial it down a little bit? Please?
100% agree. And two or three posters are monopolizing the whole board.... give it a rest!

He can't. He only knows insults and staunch viewpoints presented as truth.

Posting infrequently is not a virtue.

Posting frequently is not indecent or unethical.

I would say for a small community, it's actually surprisingly not good here compared to other small groups on the internet.
I think there's a lot of good points being made on both sides, some healthy discussion. That being said, I think the overall vibe and mood would be infinitely better without the 2-3 folks that I (and many, many others) have on "Ignore" at the moment. The level of vitriol spewed from just a couple of bad actors really brings the entire board down a few notches.

Shoo, OTB slime. Slither back to the political board, where you call for UMN to be defunded.

Not at all code for people don't agree with me. There's outlandish stuff being posted here on both sides. Politically I'm somewhere in the middle so I get turned off by the extremes on both sides.

This board has become a lot like the comments section of the Strib. Everything devolves into politics and (most) people on here have their sides picked and can't let their party line go.

I enjoy(ed) gopherhole for the football talk. Never in my life have I searched out a politics message board to debate people. I don't enjoy that and that's why GH isn't very enjoyable anymore.

Clearly you love debating politics and that's great. Everyone has their pastimes. It's just not for me.

PE is a very frequent contributor to the OTB, and the way he can’t resist inserting political jabs and agendas in his “sports” posts shows through, along with a couple other “guests” to the sports forums lately.

PE is a very frequent contributor to the OTB, and the way he can’t resist inserting political jabs and agendas in his “sports” posts shows through, along with a couple other “guests” to the sports forums lately.

My political agenda consists of criticizing people with political agendas. Nice try.

Not at all code for people don't agree with me. There's outlandish stuff being posted here on both sides. Politically I'm somewhere in the middle so I get turned off by the extremes on both sides.

This board has become a lot like the comments section of the Strib. Everything devolves into politics and (most) people on here have their sides picked and can't let their party line go.

I enjoy(ed) gopherhole for the football talk. Never in my life have I searched out a politics message board to debate people. I don't enjoy that and that's why GH isn't very enjoyable anymore.

Clearly you love debating politics and that's great. Everyone has their pastimes. It's just not for me.

I don’t enjoy politics per se because politicized tend to have their minds made up early in any event or discussion. It’s a fruitless discussion. The ”truth” as it is usually comes along later on. There are some number of middle grounders that have more nuanced views.

The problem becomes: politics bleeds into all of our lives in various ways so we have to mitigate the damage of extreme positions as much as possible. We don’t have to like it.

Delany would not have messed up this royally! Before any statement or decision was made, there would have been a clear direction and uniformity on the issue!

Kevin Warren is not capable to run the B1G and hid from the moment and was not able to get uniformity among the presidents.

Kevin Warren should resign if he had honor in himself and if not should be fired for incompetence. Warren is even letting his own son play at Miss, and he said he let his son make the decision. Well that’s all these B1G players want also is to decide for themselves just like his son. But Warren took that from B1G players!

People used to bitch and moan about Delany all the time. Do you remember the Penn State fiasco? The AD's basically rescinded the B1G's offer after Delany negotiated adding Penn State without getting the AD's on board. It took a year to sort out all the bitching and moaning after that happened. People similarly bitched about adding Rutgers and Maryland. Academics bitched after adding Nebraska for completely different reasons. Y'all need to clam down with the hot takes. Warren isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:

Top Bottom