All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

The problem with your take is this: zero chance the Big Ten would’ve acted in that manner if alone.

The PAC is smart, so they were on board. But 2 out of 5 doesn’t look as strong as 3 out of 5.

That’s why it makes some sense to me that the ACC was on board, and then welshed on the deal at the last second.

One story claims that Notre Dame is at fault for that. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it was more likely ESPN, trying to kill two birds with one stone (saving more fall content, and hurting the Big Ten).

Your “story“ is conjecture from couple unpaid bloggers, but you deny validity of numerous esteemed cardiologist opinions on a bad paper that heavily influenced public opinion.

Let's just bypass PE's dickhead biased commentary and actually view the relevant text:

Investigators who led a widely publicized cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR) study showing that COVID-19 may cause lingering cardiac damage have responded to questions raised on social media challenging their findings.

Eike Nagel, MD, and Valentina Puntmann, MD, PhD (both University Hospital Frankfurt, Germany), issued a correction this week in JAMA Cardiology, stating they reviewed and reanalyzed their data after TCTMD alerted to them Twitter discussions about their work. While they identified a few other errors as part of their reanalysis, once all the mistakes were accounted for and corrected, they say, the initial message of their CMR study still stands.

“We are pleased to confirm that reanalysis of the data has not led to a change in the main conclusions of the study,” write Nagel and Puntmann in a letter to the editor. On the group’s website, the researchers go on to say they “are reassured that the validity of the originally published results remains solid and the message unchanged.”

That message, as reported by TCTMD, is that COVID-19 may result in lasting cardiac damage even in nonhospitalized patients. In a study of 100 people who recovered from COVID-19, 78% had abnormal CMR findings 2 to 3 months after initially testing positive for the virus. Compared with healthy and risk factor-matched controls, patients who recovered from COVID-19 had lower LV ejection fractions, higher LV volumes, and elevated values of native T1 and T2 on CMR.

Recovered COVID-19 patients, in that first paper, also had a high LV mass index compared with healthy controls, but that association was no longer statistically significant after the researchers obtained missing data from the original CMR scans, the correction notes.

JAMA Cardiology editor Robert Bonow, MD, and deputy editor Clyde Yancy, MD (both Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL), also weighed in, issuing a brief letter accompanying the correction. They proceeded with a repeated statistical review—and requested reanalysis and revision by the original investigators—following questions raised after the study’s publication, they write. “A rigorous review has confirmed that the findings as originally reported remain valid.”

Trying to save face as peer reviewers that allowed the first paper to get published in the first place? The critics are far more numerous...and pinpoint why. Not a good look, unfortunately.

Your “story“ is conjecture from couple unpaid bloggers, but you deny validity of numerous esteemed cardiologist opinions on a bad paper that heavily influenced public opinion.
Who are you claiming is an unpaid blogger? It’s all my speculation except the (uncorraborated) Sports Illustrated UMich article.

I denied no one’s validity. I’ll take actual experts and the editors, over your fake opinion, on a great paper that was accepted. Which papers have you published?? :sneaky:

Let's just bypass PE's dickhead biased commentary
I'm asking that you be nicer in your comments. Actually, I'm imploring you. I know you can do it. You have a lot you can add to this board, but you're always so angry and so vicious. There's enough distaste in the world at large already. As General Taylor said to Sgt. Major Dickerson in Good Morning, Vietnam:

"I've covered for you a lot of times cause I thought you were a little crazy. But you're not crazy, you're mean. And this is just radio."

My man, this is just sports.

Last edited:

Trying to save face as peer reviewers that allowed the first paper to get published in the first place? The critics are far more numerous...and pinpoint why. Not a good look, unfortunately.
Nope, you’re wrong as usual. Authors and editors got it correct.

Whiny noise mostly from people not actually qualified to complain, and almost surely motivated by things other than science. (am I naive enough to think that politics, rivalries, and jealousy don’t leak into high-level science? Sadly no, they do)

When Planned Parenthood wants to really ramp up their donations, they just send a flyer with your picture on it.
I appreciate the insult founded in not having any idea what I look like. I can tell you are part of the party of tolerance!

Unable to deny the statistical shit show which was their initial (peer-reviewed, ugh) paper the lead authors issued a major correction and retraction of at least one part. Here is a back and forth netween the defensive authors, peer reviewers, and a gleeful academic on the correction and interpretation, mediated by an obviously bemused journalist

A twitter stream of a slightly sadistic statistician cardiologist from Oxford. A bludgeoning, in reality, in what has overall been a brutal year for dogmatic science. A Lutherian Reformation forthcoming?

Honestly, science is overrated.

I appreciate the insult founded in not having any idea what I look like. I can tell you are part of the party of tolerance!
Why do you tolerate bigotry, racism, sexism, discrimination against LGBT, etc?

By definition of what you said, you do. Otherwise, you have to admit you’re intolerant.

Nope, you’re wrong as usual. Authors and editors got it correct.

Whiny noise mostly from people not actually qualified to complain, and almost surely motivated by things other than science. (am I naive enough to think that politics, rivalries, and jealousy don’t leak into high-level science? Sadly no, they do)

Mayo, Oxford, Michigan, what do they know?

Maybe just messier than black and white thinkers would like.

Measure twice, cut once.

Of course. I suspect the preponderance of evidence will support cardiac damage after Covid infection. There are multiple preprints on bioRxiv and medRxiv on this topic. From an athletics perspective the question will be how frequent and how severe. Probably reasonable to have an EKG, cardiac enzyme/metabolite panel, and an echo before returning to the field after Covid infection.

Mayo, Oxford, Michigan, what do they know?

Mayo guy was already disproven, covid is t a genetic cardiac disease so he can’t be an expert opinion.

Guy you quote here says “no one knows yet”, so that disproves nothing. And he isn’t even a cardiologist. You’re pathetically dishonest.

Michigan guy I already acknowledged as qualified. But that’s just one voice so far. Even if there are multiple voices, no one has disproven it.

So the risk is there for universities. Smart to take a step back and think about how to deal with it first.

Again, for posterity: if you’re just an MD, and the topic is not specifically about medicines and which diseases they’re approved for treatment — your opinion doesn’t mean jack squat! You’re not an expert!

8 NE players sue the BIG in Federal Court.
Of course with the encouragement and perhaps help with legal fees from the NE administration.
How much shit from NE will the BIG tolerate?

To me, there are two problems with this situation as is being debated. One, the myocarditis bit is being insinuated by us fans, as so little was conveyed by the conference. A lot of this could have been avoided if they just showed their hand a bit and revealed what information they were using. Second, if the issue is in fact myocarditis, why did they never force the suspension of practices after this issue was “found out”? This issue is great enough to cancel the season, but not enough to cancel continued practices? Because of that, I have to assume this is all a liability issue, otherwise they’re being pretty hypocritical with the allowance of practice and further contact.

To me, there are two problems with this situation as is being debated. One, the myocarditis bit is being insinuated by us fans, as so little was conveyed by the conference. A lot of this could have been avoided if they just showed their hand a bit and revealed what information they were using. Second, if the issue is in fact myocarditis, why did they never force the suspension of practices after this issue was “found out”? This issue is great enough to cancel the season, but not enough to cancel continued practices? Because of that, I have to assume this is all a liability issue, otherwise they’re being pretty hypocritical with the allowance of practice and further contact.
Well of course it’s a liability issue. That’s not any kind of high card, hat disproves the postponement.

The reason practices were allowed to continue, other than just the obvious practicality of not wanting players sitting around doing nothing all fall, is that they figure it’s less likely to cross-contaminate teams if there are no games.

It’s not about the amount of cardiac stress once you have covid-induced myocarditis, it’s about preventing players/coaches/staff from getting covid in the first place!

8 NE players sue the BIG in Federal Court.
Of course with the encouragement and perhaps help with legal fees from the NE administration.
How much shit from NE will the BIG tolerate?
Boot them!

I'm tired tonight, so bear with me.

Gopher Hole for me has always been an escape. a fun little respite from reality.

but now, even on the sports-related sections, every thread takes about 3 or 4 posts before it just turns into the endless argument.

"I'm right because I found someone on the internet who agrees with me."

"No, I'm right because I found a different someone on the internet who agrees with me."

and on and on and on for 20 pages.

and covid has made things 100 times worse.

Sure, I have opinions, and I tend to think I'm right more often than not.

But I know I'm not perfect. I'm not infallible. I could be wrong. So I try to cut people at least a little slack.

Could people Please, Please dial it down a little bit? Please?

Gopher Hole for me has always been an escape. a fun little respite from reality.

but now, even on the sports-related sections, every thread takes about 3 or 4 posts before it just turns into the endless argument.

"No, I'm right because I found a different someone on the internet who agrees with me."

But I know I'm not perfect. I'm not infallible. I could be wrong. So I try to cut people at least a little slack.

100% agree. I have cut way back on posting because it's so toxic here. Even took the bookmark off my phone to remind me not to visit so often.

Here’s the actual problem: the gross OTB people have slithered up onto the sports forum.

They don’t care about Gopher sports. Can we please ban theee folks to the OTB, where they belong?? Less, Ogee, etc. Thankfully felton was banned.

Are you crying now? You literally made an abortion joke about my Mom. You can't have it both ways dude

Huh? All I meant to do was point out that luckily for you, your mom made the choice to deliver you. Apologies if that was taken as a joke or an insult.

My apologies for engaging... I tend to engage people who seem like they could use a little middle ground in their life at times... I’ll try to stay out of the fray (it’s just that without Gopher football happening there isn’t a whole lot of Gopher news)!

Top Bottom