All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

Wonder if GHers would get more joy out of a gopher's natty or the ncaa 2020 fall season being canceled? A tossup perhaps? :)

Will you be happier if the sec, acc, big12 make it through the season or dont make it through the season?

I could care less. I'd like to gamble on college football this fall though. So fall and spring ball is a win for me

I see in the Des Moines Register, the A.D. at Iowa, admits that he voted to delay, not cancel, t he football season. Now let’s see the other 13 votes. Then we will know who to really cares about B1G football and the players.
Zero incentive for any AD to do anything other than publicly claim they supported playing.

Costs nothing, and no proof to the contrary exists.

Meaningless PR, of course.

Presidents changing their minds after the schedule was released, due to new medical evidence of myocarditis being claimed by their medical consultants, is Warren’s fault for not communicating well enough??

What a fraud, liar you are.
Myocarditis from Covid 19 was not a brand new issue in the time frame between the release of the BIG schedule and the decision to cancel the season.

Myocarditis from Covid 19 was not a brand new issue in the time frame between the release of the BIG schedule and the decision to cancel the season.
You’re right, they knew the whole time, released the schedule, then suddenly changed their minds for no reason, except to piss off conservative message board posters like you.

:rolleyes:

You’re right, they knew the whole time, released the schedule, then suddenly changed their minds for no reason, except to piss off conservative message board posters like you.

:rolleyes:
This was posted in July and hey, it's science! There are plenty more sources if you took the time to research instead of crapping on every GH poster you disagree with.

Back to Warren: As I said before, the guy has a fairly impressive resume in the legal world and in the NFL.

I am not saying he was a "bad" hire.

But, if the B1G was looking for a dynamic front man for the conference, then they may have hired the wrong person. Warren is a soft-spoken, thoughtful person. But he doesn't come off all that well in today's sound-bite, social media world.

Maybe they thought he would grow into the position - and they probably did not anticipate that his first major situation as commissioner would involve postponing the football season.

I still put this on the people who hired Warren, and then ran and hid when the feces hit the fan.

Is it too much to ask what criteria the presidents are basing their decision on, and moreso what criteria will allow a path forward?

The fact these items have not been discussed in great detail by Warren and the individual presidents is the biggest leadership failure thus far, and the reason I cannot envision a winter or spring season, and the reason a fall 2021 season is very much in doubt.

What is an acceptable level of risk in college athletics? For on campus classes and activities? If those questions cannot be answered with solid, discrete numbers then we are very much flying blind.

Man, you're daft. I think you have legit reading comprehension issues. I literally just laid out in plain English for you and you still missed it:

" That is a made up narrative by posters on here who have a problem with a black man being in charge (see, I can make up narratives too!). "

You and GopherFanatic19 are just deciding that his son's playing status is somehow part of the Big Ten's story. You're just forcing a narrative on people that has no truth or relevance.

Again (I feel like I'm taking crazy pills repeating myself with you), while Kevin Warren may have failed communicating on this in effective manner, that has ZERO to do with what his son is doing. There is literally no relation between the two.

And again, you never answered either one of my questions.

How is having a conversation with your son about playing football, when you're not allowing others to play football a made up narrative? You really think they never had a conversation about it? And why do you keep bringing race into it?

Why would he want his son to play? It's too dangerous to play in the B1G, but it's safe to play in the SEC? You don't think Warren had any conversations with the SEC? That would be another complete failure if he didn't.

This was posted in July and hey, it's science! There are plenty more sources if you took the time to research instead of crapping on every GH poster you disagree with.

Your link has nothing to do with the new medical evidence that was presented to the Big Ten presidents. That evidences was about Big Ten football athletes specifically, developing myocarditis at an advanced rate due to covid. Also, don't you think it might be more worrisome for a football player in fall camp with a heart conditions, than just an average joe sitting on their ass all day?

Can't decide if you genuinely don't get it, or you do get it but are being dishonest to be a troll. Would like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but on GH that's just a hard thing to do, with how crappy a lot of posters are here.

Is it too much to ask what criteria the presidents are basing their decision on, and moreso what criteria will allow a path forward?

The fact these items have not been discussed in great detail by Warren and the individual presidents is the biggest leadership failure thus far, and the reason I cannot envision a winter or spring season, and the reason a fall 2021 season is very much in doubt.

What is an acceptable level of risk in college athletics? For on campus classes and activities? If those questions cannot be answered with solid, discrete numbers then we are very much flying blind.
That's neat. Made up out of thin air, faux outrage. Cool story

And again, you never answered either one of my questions.

How is having a conversation with your son about playing football, when you're not allowing others to play football a made up narrative? You really think they never had a conversation about it? And why do you keep bringing race into it?

Why would he want his son to play? It's too dangerous to play in the B1G, but it's safe to play in the SEC? You don't think Warren had any conversations with the SEC? That would be another complete failure if he didn't.
This is why it's a complete waste of your time to ever post with GWG. He takes pleasure in trolling you, getting you off on a sidetrack that has nothing to do with the discussion, and frustrating you.

Long track record of doing this over, and over, and over.

Please don't waste your time.

Mpls = Plato? The hyperbolic pattern fits..
I have rarely been so flattered, and am sure Mpls feels the same way, to have inpressed some with the power and force of my comments that I am perceived as twice the person that I really am.
Pompous I have you in the ODD category.

That's neat. Made up out of thin air, faux outrage. Cool story

What are the criteria for a return to sports? There must be something, other than uncertainty. If that’s the case then I’ve got some bad news for you....

I have rarely been so flattered, and am sure Mpls feels the same way, to have inpressed some with the power and force of my comments that I am perceived as twice the person that I really am.
Pompous I have you in the ODD category.

Not really what I said, but you’ve proven to not be the best at reading comprehension.

Your link has nothing to do with the new medical evidence that was presented to the Big Ten presidents. That evidences was about Big Ten football athletes specifically, developing myocarditis at an advanced rate due to covid. Also, don't you think it might be more worrisome for a football player in fall camp with a heart conditions, than just an average joe sitting on their ass all day?

Can't decide if you genuinely don't get it, or you do get it but are being dishonest to be a troll. Would like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but on GH that's just a hard thing to do, with how crappy a lot of posters are here.
Please provide all the new content on myocarditis that occurred in the few days between the schedule being released and the cancellation of the season.

There are certainly differences in opinion of the long term effects of myocarditis linked with Covid, but the most recent data shows that is minimal at best and if a kid already has underlying heart conditions, he probably shouldn't be on the football field anyway.

No, I am not a troll, I try look at things objectively and evaluate all sides of an argument.

As I go through your posts, all I see is you being a complete jerk to every other poster on GH. You seem like a swell person.

Unable to deny the statistical shit show which was their initial (peer-reviewed, ugh) paper the lead authors issued a major correction and retraction of at least one part. Here is a back and forth netween the defensive authors, peer reviewers, and a gleeful academic on the correction and interpretation, mediated by an obviously bemused journalist

A twitter stream of a slightly sadistic statistician cardiologist from Oxford. A bludgeoning, in reality, in what has overall been a brutal year for dogmatic science. A Lutherian Reformation forthcoming?

Last edited:

Let's just bypass PE's dickhead biased commentary and actually view the relevant text:

Investigators who led a widely publicized cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR) study showing that COVID-19 may cause lingering cardiac damage have responded to questions raised on social media challenging their findings.

Eike Nagel, MD, and Valentina Puntmann, MD, PhD (both University Hospital Frankfurt, Germany), issued a correction this week in JAMA Cardiology, stating they reviewed and reanalyzed their data after TCTMD alerted to them Twitter discussions about their work. While they identified a few other errors as part of their reanalysis, once all the mistakes were accounted for and corrected, they say, the initial message of their CMR study still stands.

“We are pleased to confirm that reanalysis of the data has not led to a change in the main conclusions of the study,” write Nagel and Puntmann in a letter to the editor. On the group’s website, the researchers go on to say they “are reassured that the validity of the originally published results remains solid and the message unchanged.”

That message, as reported by TCTMD, is that COVID-19 may result in lasting cardiac damage even in nonhospitalized patients. In a study of 100 people who recovered from COVID-19, 78% had abnormal CMR findings 2 to 3 months after initially testing positive for the virus. Compared with healthy and risk factor-matched controls, patients who recovered from COVID-19 had lower LV ejection fractions, higher LV volumes, and elevated values of native T1 and T2 on CMR.

Recovered COVID-19 patients, in that first paper, also had a high LV mass index compared with healthy controls, but that association was no longer statistically significant after the researchers obtained missing data from the original CMR scans, the correction notes.

JAMA Cardiology editor Robert Bonow, MD, and deputy editor Clyde Yancy, MD (both Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL), also weighed in, issuing a brief letter accompanying the correction. They proceeded with a repeated statistical review—and requested reanalysis and revision by the original investigators—following questions raised after the study’s publication, they write. “A rigorous review has confirmed that the findings as originally reported remain valid.”

Please provide all the new content on myocarditis that occurred in the few days between the schedule being released and the cancellation of the season.

There are certainly differences in opinion of the long term effects of myocarditis linked with Covid, but the most recent data shows that is minimal at best and if a kid already has underlying heart conditions, he probably shouldn't be on the football field anyway.

No, I am not a troll, I try look at things objectively and evaluate all sides of an argument.

As I go through your posts, all I see is you being a complete jerk to every other poster on GH. You seem like a swell person.
See above post. Your link only quotes two people who don't have any data or studies of their own, simply doubts. The Mayo guy isn't even qualified to comment. He researches genetic cardiac disease. Covid isn't genetic. The Michigan guy I grant you. That is fine. If you look hard enough, and stick enough microphones in peoples' faces, you'll find someone who will disagree with almost anything.

Bolded: no, there is no difference in opinion -- because no one knows, yet. Your sentence "the most recent data shows that is minimal at best" is a complete and total fabrication. You're essentially lying, or just extremely gullible. But that's because you want to believe that is the truth, so you'll just go with it. None of the players had underlying conditions, Covid did it to them, that's the point.

If indeed we get to 15-20 years from now, and have a class-action lawsuit of former Clemson, Alabama, LSU, etc. players who are suing the universities that de facto pressured them (forced them) to play this fall, and they have chronic cardiac disease as a side-effect of covid19 .... well, let's just say that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Do schools really want to take on that risk?

Thought - speculation -

Let's say the general feeling in the B1G was to try and hold a fall season. Someone gave the OK to release a schedule. (don't know if Warren had authority to do that on his own, or if someone else had to sign off on it.) At this point, we don't know what the medical experts were telling the powers-that-be.

But then, the myocardial issues started getting more coverage in the media, and the B1G Presidents' sphincters started to collectively tighten. Someone raised the liability issues, and the Presidents basically chickened out. Maybe Warren was advising them or pushing them in that direction. We don't know. but, my gut tells me that over the weekend, some of the Presidents started having second thoughts, they heard a medical update, saw visions of lawsuits dancing in their heads, and decided to run for cover. a true profile in courage.

I would bet that is fairly close to the truth of what actually happened.

Thought - speculation -

Let's say the general feeling in the B1G was to try and hold a fall season. Someone gave the OK to release a schedule. (don't know if Warren had authority to do that on his own, or if someone else had to sign off on it.) At this point, we don't know what the medical experts were telling the powers-that-be.

But then, the myocardial issues started getting more coverage in the media, and the B1G Presidents' sphincters started to collectively tighten. Someone raised the liability issues, and the Presidents basically chickened out. Maybe Warren was advising them or pushing them in that direction. We don't know. but, my gut tells me that over the weekend, some of the Presidents started having second thoughts, they heard a medical update, saw visions of lawsuits dancing in their heads, and decided to run for cover. a true profile in courage.

I would bet that is fairly close to the truth of what actually happened.
The problem with your take is this: zero chance the Big Ten would’ve acted in that manner if alone.

The PAC is smart, so they were on board. But 2 out of 5 doesn’t look as strong as 3 out of 5.

That’s why it makes some sense to me that the ACC was on board, and then welshed on the deal at the last second.

One story claims that Notre Dame is at fault for that. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it was more likely ESPN, trying to kill two birds with one stone (saving more fall content, and hurting the Big Ten).

Honestly, while I support the outcome, if this is true and the Big Ten only felt confident moving forward if the Pac 12 and ACC followed they really should have worked out an agreement to do a joint announcement, perhaps even televised. Like, don't leave that up to chance.

Honestly, while I support the outcome, if this is true and the Big Ten only felt confident moving forward if the Pac 12 and ACC followed they really should have worked out an agreement to do a joint announcement, perhaps even televised. Like, don't leave that up to chance.
If it was that simple, I’m sure they would’ve done it. Maybe there were perceived negative about appearing to be unified and “forcing” the other two? I’m making stuff up, of course. But the point is, we don’t know and probably won’t ever know the full story.

If it was that simple, I’m sure they would’ve done it. Maybe there were perceived negative about appearing to be unified and “forcing” the other two? I’m making stuff up, of course. But the point is, we don’t know and probably won’t ever know the full story.
That is a fair point.

A group of Nebraska players is suing the Big Ten to get the postponement overturned.

Should be and will be laughed out of court.

Top Bottom