All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

I know football schedules are paid/scheduled long in advance, but anyone thinking the NC schedule for a lot of programs could shift to more of a region based idea? Idea being less travel is probably better? As an example, we play Tennesee Tech, we talk it out and say ok TT you play Kentucky and Kent is supposed to play E Mich, we will have them come here. Likely saves those schools some travel money and keeps things more regionalized? I know there is a TON of planning so this would be really tough I get it, but never know.

per ESPN:

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh said he would be comfortable playing games in empty stadiums as college football attempts to hold the 2020 season amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Other sports, including Major League Baseball, the NBA and NHL, have discussed returning to play games in front of no fans, and Harbaugh was asked about that scenario Wednesday during an interview with ESPN's Get Up.

"Heck yeah, I'd be comfortable coaching a game without any fans," Harbaugh said. "If the choice were play in front of no fans or not play, then I would choose to play in front of no fans.

"... Darn near every guy I've talked to on our team, that's the way they feel about it."

Michigan Stadium, famously nicknamed "The Big House," holds over 107,000 fans, and Harbaugh doubts a capacity crowd could be safely tested before a game.

"You can definitely test both teams. You can test the officials and everybody," Harbaugh said. "Can you test 100,000 fans coming into a stadium? Probably not -- probably not without a vaccine, you couldn't do that."

Go Gophers!!

I could be wrong. We’ll have to tally up the numbers in 5 years. As long as everyone is throwing around scary numbers without context here is an opinion piece of non-scary relative risk by age group. Feel free to nitpick his non-scary statistics. Are college students unduly or irrationally worried about their personal safety? Disclosure: father of two, more worried about educational shortfall than their risks of either COVID-19 illness or the associated Kawasaki issue. I also drive them to activities, school, and the beach occasionally. Call CPS?

For those ages 1 through 24, even a wildly out-of-control Covid-19 pandemic that exceeded the worst-case scenarios and killed 5 million Americans would appear to pose less risk than cars and trucks and boats do in a normal year.

No one, not one single person, under age 30 has died in Minnesota from Covid 19.

This is so fake.

The number of people who die from mental health related to 2-3months of economic harm, will be a small fraction of cv19 deaths.

Well, as Covid has killed no one under 30 in this state how can any other death not be a multiple more than zero? How about undiagnosed cancer? Heart disease? Etc. ?

Arbitrary grouping to support a false narrative. I was talking total people.

The nursing home neglect crisis continues, doesn't look like something that will stop packed college football stadiums...

View attachment 8097

There are dozens of others threads on Covid and you can share your lovely data. My only point is Covid will be here in fall and I suspect will have an impact on college football attendance and policies regarding attendance. I also dont think by fall we'll see it as 0 threat.

It's very likely that COVID-19 will be seen as almost zero threat to the vast majority of the population by September. Stadiums should be packed, especially TCF
Odd crusade you are on here, planning on hitting every thread out here with it?

G-D, can we keep the covid crap either on the OTB (where it belongs) or at least limited to one thread on the sports forums.

Games about the players and all the work they put in, not the fans or the money

Games about the players and all the work they put in, not the fans or the money
Don't want to go down the road of another lengthy debate on the money side of things. I agree with you in principle but let's be honest - the money matters (this isn't D3). D1 college athletics would look a lot different if they lost 30-50% of their revenue stream.

It's May.

I think a lot of teams we assume will play ... might not. And other teams we assume won't... might play. Depending on how things play out.

There's a lot of blue vs red state talk and such, but I'm not sure that matters if the Governor's of a given state says they're open ... if players start testing positive during the season.

You probably need like 20 alternate plans to cover everything ... and then maybe you still don't play.

I have asked this question before. If Minnesota decides not to play will Fleck stay here? No (you can't row a boat up a steep hill), unless all other Big Ten teams decide not to play. If that is our situation what makes anyone think that these other programs will not see the same problem? All this talk of no football season is just silly, there is just too much money and too much program momentum at stake to not play football, fans or no fans.

Don't want to go down the road of another lengthy debate on the money side of things. I agree with you in principle but let's be honest - the money matters (this isn't D3). D1 college athletics would look a lot different if they lost 30-50% of their revenue stream.

Sure, but a temporary loss of 30%-50% of their revenue is better than a 100% loss of it by not playing.

Home field is such a huge advantage in college football (at least it sure seems like it is). Wonder what kind of impact playing with no fans will have on things. It would seem like it would be an equalizer of sorts, taking that advantage away from the home team and letting it all be sorted out on the field with both teams dealing with the same crowd conditions.

For example, going to be far easier on offenses playing in places like Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State....to communicate without 100,000+ fans screaming their heads off.

I am growing slightly more optimistic about the odds that football will be played as scheduled this fall - but I just don't see fans in the stands at all this season.

The current case numbers and fatalities would have to go down considerably before that happens. Potentially, I could see some kind of a system with a cap on attendance - maybe 25% full - by the end of the season. Warning - they could make mask-wearing a requirement.

Here is the wild card about "current case numbers". These numbers drastically undercount the actually infected, most of whom show mild or no systems, and many others experienced a mild illness.

By the end of the summer, we will realize that getting infected is a low risk proposition.

Home field is such a huge advantage in college football (at least it sure seems like it is). Wonder what kind of impact playing with no fans will have on things. It would seem like it would be an equalizer of sorts, taking that advantage away from the home team and letting it all be sorted out on the field with both teams dealing with the same crowd conditions.

For example, going to be far easier on offenses playing in places like Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State....to communicate without 100,000+ fans screaming their heads off.
There's a lot more to home field/court/ice advantage than fans. In fact I would argue that high level athletes probably aren't impacted by fans all that much.

Sure, but a temporary loss of 30%-50% of their revenue is better than a 100% loss of it by not playing.
Totally agree. I was just arguing against the idea that D1 football is all about the players.

My guess is that they will announce something that will piss most of us off.

G-D, can we keep the covid crap either on the OTB (where it belongs) or at least limited to one thread on the sports forums.

Our freaking football season is at risk, and you want this off-topic? Dude, get out of your fox hole.

From yesterday's Town Hall with Joan Gable:

It is still unclear if students will head back to University of Minnesota campuses this fall. President Joan Gabel and other leaders held a virtual town hall on Wednesday to discuss the possibilities with students and faculty.

“We know and take very seriously how these decisions affect your lives,” said Gabel.

An advisory team has been working since April to develop different scenarios, ranging from relaxed social distancing to the possibility that a 'stay at home' order is still in place.

“For each of these scenarios, we’re developing recommendations specific to classroom utilization, labs and studios, housing and dining, student affairs and outreach and engagement,” said Provost Rachel Croson.

Gabel is expected to make a decision in early June. She said the university community will need to remain flexible over the next few months.

“If there’s another outbreak, if there’s a surge, if there are advances in the science and medical care and technology, all of those things could make anything we’re talking about evolve,” said Gabel.

Some faculty and researchers have been able to return to campus under the Sunrise Plan. University officials said during the town hall that about 1,000 applications have been approved for those who need to return to campus to work in labs, studios or other facilities.

Our freaking football season is at risk, and you want this off-topic? Dude, get out of your fox hole.

GR- recommend you put that clown on ignore. I think half of GH has. He just ruins many of these threads.

per ESPN:

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said Wednesday that his athletic department has run several social distancing models to consider having fans in the stands at games this fall, and Ohio Stadium, with a normal capacity of more than 100,000, would hold a crowd closer to 20,000-22,000 fans and up to 40,000-50,000 "if guidelines are relaxed."

"We've played with that a little bit as a framework to start as we move forward and think about what we'd ultimately be allowed to do," Smith told reporters before later clarifying the low-end estimate in a tweet.

"We're fortunate, with 100,000 seats in the stadium," he said. "So could we implement the current CDC guidelines, state guidelines around physical distancing, mask requirements and all those types of things in an outdoor environment and have obviously significantly less fans than we are used to? I think it's possible. I just feel like we have the talent and skill and space capacity to provide an opportunity for a certain number of fans to have access to our particular stadium. Of course, that wouldn't be true across the country because of capacity. But I think we can get there."

Go Gophers!!

It has the seating to do it but there are so many other areas that are pinch points...entrance and exit of fans, concourses, concessions, bathrooms, etc. Still a lot of time and things will continue to change.

It has the seating to do it but there are so many other areas that are pinch points...entrance and exit of fans, concourses, concessions, bathrooms, etc. Still a lot of time and things will continue to change.
Wonder if they have troughs?

Top Bottom