All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

Difficult situation. If they can't play, they'd have a refund headache and would probably be reluctant to refund the "donation" part of the ticket, which would be bad PR. Teams could play to empty stadiums and take the TV revenue but players could sue if they get the virus (like the sailors on the aircraft carriers). I still think they probably won't play, which is a shame, like the postponement of the Olympics.

good, we now know who calls police on people who don’t comply with social distancing. Lucky this isn’t WW2 era as I’m sure you would call the Germans also on your own people
Many, many people called to complain in Mpls of people not complying with distancing on bball and tennis courts. So the city shut them down. Good move! (y)

Interesting article. So basically nothing would change with regard to home field advantages other than the level of noise. Schools with huge stadiums who typically draw large crowds would still be able to bring in more people and distance them than would schools with smaller stadiums and typically smaller crowds. Makes sense.

PS: Everyone gets to make their own decisions about masking, following distance protocol, etc. It's unfortunate that these decisions impact others more than the people themselves, but it's the nature of a free, open society. I read an interesting article the other day about government efforts to appeal to men during the Spanish Flu pandemic to wear masks or be seen as unpatriotic, slackers, death-mongers, etc. Seems the opposite efforts are being made nowadays, but again, so be it.

spanish-flu-ads-007.jpg

Season tickets will need to be renewed by June 11th. We will have three options if the season is cancelled or a game is cancelled. Basically, donate or full refund. No single ticket sale date set yet.

No, it is not up to each person to decide to wear a mask or not.

The U is absolutely within its right to tell anyone who wants to enter the stadium that they are required to wear a mask. If you don't like that, then get the F out!

Many, many people called to complain in Mpls of people not complying with distancing on bball and tennis courts. So the city shut them down. Good move! (y)

so stunning, brave, and heroic! Orange man bad! How dare people enjoy wide open spaces and fresh air! I’m sure you believe in my body my choice so doesn’t that apply to my health to?

people are only allowed to Walmart, grocery stores, and drive throughs, where covid can’t go!

also UofM is a public school where public tax money filters into! They’re not private and they should not be able to order people to wear masks!

you better wait for bill gates to come up with an immunization for covid before you leave your basement! I bet you would be first in line if the gov also were To place a tracker in each person to know everything about them!

???

good, we now know who calls police on people who don’t comply with social distancing. Lucky this isn’t WW2 era as I’m sure you would call the Germans also on your own people
We’re this close to the Nazi-evocation point in this thread, let’s bring it on home people.

Plus the added bonus of some man-child calling people who wear masks “wusses”. How will they ever recover from that kind of razor-sharp takedown?!

"...then let those that aren’t scared little wusses not wear them?"

Actually, I'd submit "wuss" is the last name to call someone who is demonstrably in a high or very high risk group...and who elects to attend a game in a mask.

To be clear at this point I'm in the "let every individual decide to mask or not mask for themselves camp."

But we now know who these high risk fans are...and actually all the complaints over the years about how geriatric our butts in the seats fan base is represents a testament to actually how many there are.

"Foolish," "reckless," "smart," "brave," "informed," "brainwashed," or just "loyal fan" all make sense for these mask wearers depending on your point of view.

But certainly not "wuss."

I didn’t check to see if this had already been mentioned, but...

No way! Illinois is the most Covid-conservative state in the USA. I expected a Big 12 this year without Illinois and Northwestern. Anything fun has been canceled as far as the eye can see in Chicago to the point where I'm listing my home. I'm not going to sit around and wait for our leaders to destroy our economy and vibrant culture rooted in small business, and will instead take advantage of my job being incredibly WFH friendly and in demand in the current environment to move about the country, as Southwest says. Maybe a RV?

Difficult situation. If they can't play, they'd have a refund headache and would probably be reluctant to refund the "donation" part of the ticket, which would be bad PR. Teams could play to empty stadiums and take the TV revenue but players could sue if they get the virus (like the sailors on the aircraft carriers). I still think they probably won't play, which is a shame, like the postponement of the Olympics.

I'm wondering if the Big Ten as a whole could re-negotiate tv money if we play to empty stadiums. That means a LOT more people will be watching games on tv and so ad revenue could be a lot higher. Granted we're in a contract, so I'm not sure it allows for that.

so stunning, brave, and heroic! Orange man bad! How dare people enjoy wide open spaces and fresh air! I’m sure you believe in my body my choice so doesn’t that apply to my health to?

people are only allowed to Walmart, grocery stores, and drive throughs, where covid can’t go!

also UofM is a public school where public tax money filters into! They’re not private and they should not be able to order people to wear masks!

you better wait for bill gates to come up with an immunization for covid before you leave your basement! I bet you would be first in line if the gov also were To place a tracker in each person to know everything about them!

???
Hey, how come you never responded to me?

Oh wait, I know. It's because you couldn't back up your claims with actual evidence.

Sue? Don't think that would ever happen you can't sue for getting the flu

Hey, how come you never responded to me?

Oh wait, I know. It's because you couldn't back up your claims with actual evidence.

theres enough out there that shows Covid isn’t what the media and CDC is hyping! Google, Facebook, YouTube and other domains remove other facts from search blocks or censors real Drs from sharing their research and analysis cause it goes against the fear narrative!

don’t bring a mask study to the table! Mask doesn’t stop anything, just breath it all in fella!

Mask doesn’t stop anything, just breath it all in fella!

Do you wear a mask when sanding drywall? Cutting masonry? I guess all those people that do are just idiots because masks don't stop anything.

theres enough out there that shows Covid isn’t what the media and CDC is hyping! Google, Facebook, YouTube and other domains remove other facts from search blocks or censors real Drs from sharing their research and analysis cause it goes against the fear narrative!

don’t bring a mask study to the table! Mask doesn’t stop anything, just breath it all in fella!

You're moving the goalposts bud. You said plenty of studys refute social distancing and wearing masks. I asked you to provide a link to one, prove me wrong! And yet, you deflect by saying they are censored. Surely you encountered those studies somewhere right? Why don't you show us where to find them so we can become enlightened with the truth?

Please, enlighten us, how did you find this info without using "The media", Google, or other search engines? Word of mouth? Obviously there has to be some underlying source you got all this info from? Are there any sources you trust?

Inb4 GopherFanatic19 says something along the lines of "I have sources I trust, but none you would believe so I won't send them to you".

Do you wear a mask when sanding drywall? Cutting masonry? I guess all those people that do are just idiots because masks don't stop anything.
The most interesting thing to me is the unabashed (yet unsurprising) selfishness from Felton, Fanatic, and a handful of others here. Using masks in crowded public spaces is for the benefit of other people, not really for your own benefit. Please get that through your thick skulls.

I'm young, healthy, and in-shape (I'm no Jim Souhan, but frankly who is?). I'm not concerned about contracting COVID-19 myself. But I will still wear a mask for the foreseeable future when I have to be in crowded public spaces. It's unlikely that I'll contract the virus and present as an asymptomatic carrier. But even with those long odds, the nuisance that wearing a mask provides is orders of magnitude less important than the possibility that I could prevent spreading it to someone else. Maybe that someone else is unknowingly immunocompromised. Maybe they're as selfish as some of you, and refuse to wear a mask when they go out the next time, spreading it to even more people. I'm truly sorry that people are requesting that you take the horrifying, cumbersome, freedom-infringing action of putting on one additional piece of fabric when you go into crowded spaces. I hope you'll survive.

So feel free to call me a "wuss" for wearing a mask. Just don't be surprised if others think of you as a selfish d-bag for vehemently opposing it.

Last edited:

The most interesting thing to me is the unabashed (yet unsurprising) selfishness from Felton, Fanatic, and a handful of others here. Using masks in crowded public spaces is for the benefit of other people, not really for your own benefit. Please get that through your thick skulls.

I'm young, healthy, and in-shape (I'm no Jim Souhan, but frankly who is?). I'm not concerned about contracting COVID-19 myself. But I will still wear a mask for the foreseeable future when I have to be in crowded public spaces. It's unlikely that I'll contract the virus and present as an asymptomatic carrier. But even with those long odds, the nuisance that wearing a mask provides is orders of magnitude less important than the possibility that I could prevent spreading it to someone else. Maybe that someone else is unknowingly immunocompromised. Maybe they're as selfish as some of you, and refuse to wear a mask when they go out the next time, spreading it to even more people. I'm truly sorry that people are requesting that you take the horrifying, cumbersome, freedom-infringing action of putting on one additional piece of fabric when you go into crowded spaces. I hope you'll survive.

So feel free to call me a "wuss" for wearing a mask. Just don't be surprised if others think of you as a selfish d-bag for vehemently opposing it.

ok the argument isn’t about masks, I could care less if someone wears one or doesn’t. Their choice, their freedom to do so.

People who choose not to wear a mask are not as you say D-Bags! It’s their freedom to oppose it. People who wear masks are not D-Bags, again it’s their freedom to wear it

ok the argument isn’t about masks
The argument is entirely about masks. Are you not reading this thread?

People who choose not to wear a mask are not as you say D-Bags! It’s their freedom to oppose it.
"Exercising freedoms" and being a d-bag are not mutually exclusive. I'm free to drink beer and stand during football games. But some people will think I'm a d-bag for that. I can scream my head off and wave my hands in the air during key plays. More reasonable people will think I'm a d-bag at that point. I'm free to pick up every piece of produce in a grocery store, wipe my hands all over each one, and then put them back. But I don't, because I don't feel like increasing the chance that I'm an asymptomatic carrier of a disease which could spread to others. For that same reason, I'm willing to spend 3 seconds putting on a mask before going to a grocery store.

Really curious why you don't think they will play when everything that is happening right now points to them playing. Why let players back on campus to resume workouts if you don't think you are going to have a season? That would make zero sense.

The Olympics are a special beast. You are taking athletes and fans from all over the world and sending them to one central location. In the midst of a global pandemic that would have been a nightmare. Postponing the Olympics was one of the most obvious decisions that has been made in all this.

Going to be a very unique season to say the least, and I have no doubt that the virus is not done messing with things. But every sign right now is pointing towards the season happening and most likely in the fall.

Actually those masks don’t stop 100%
The argument is entirely about masks. Are you not reading this thread?

"Exercising freedoms" and being a d-bag are not mutually exclusive. I'm free to drink beer and stand during football games. But some people will think I'm a d-bag for that. I can scream my head off and wave my hands in the air during key plays. More reasonable people will think I'm a d-bag at that point. I'm free to pick up every piece of produce in a grocery store, wipe my hands all over each one, and then put them back. But I don't, because I don't feel like increasing the chance that I'm an asymptomatic carrier of a disease which could spread to others. For that same reason, I'm willing to spend 3 seconds putting on a mask before going to a grocery store.

Do you also carry disinfect wipes with you? Wipe down the key pad after the person in front of you just used it? Wipe down your steering wheel non stop after every stop? Phone? Products you purchased?

if you said no to any that, you’re still spreading it regardless of mask! That mask though Thank you!

I’m done responding to this! Walz needs to open MN 100%. People who don’t want to go out don’t, open businesses, parks, etc! You have what a 99% of living if you contract this. Car deaths per year is worse and many other things than Covid! Live life friends!

Actually those masks don’t stop 100%

Do you also carry disinfect wipes with you? Wipe down the key pad after the person in front of you just used it? Wipe down your steering wheel non stop after every stop? Phone? Products you purchased?

if you said no to any that, you’re still spreading it regardless of mask! That mask though Thank you!
My grocery store has latex gloves available at the front door. I put them on, don't touch my face, phone, or anything else that may have bodily fluids on them, and dispose of them when I leave.

The coronavirus is primarily spread through respiratory droplets released from the mouth and nose. If you must be around other people, covering those orifices is the single biggest action that you can take to reduce the chance of spread. Of course it's not 100%, nobody thinks they're perfectly effective. But the overwhelming body of scientific research says that they are effective. The benefits clearly outweigh the costs.

Car deaths per year is worse and many other things than Covid!
And we have horrifying things like seatbelt laws, drunk driving laws, and speed limits to reduce those deaths. It turns out that we can try to reduce deaths from both!

We’re this close to the Nazi-evocation point in this thread, let’s bring it on home people.

Plus the added bonus of some man-child calling people who wear masks “wusses”. How will they ever recover from that kind of razor-sharp takedown?!
Absolutely laughable when people typing insults or calling someone names somehow hurts that person. It may hurt a 3rd grader but a grown, secure person would laugh or ignore it. Best to not engage with anyone who does not enhance your experience of living.

Minnesota won’t be far behind. Coyle is in Gable’s ear constantly, about how critical it is to keep forward momentum this year.

We need to keep our foot on the throats of programs like Illinois, Purdue, and especially Nebraska.

Top Bottom