All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

I think what this tells us is that there is nothing - at this time - even close to a consensus on how to handle this situation.

And the real question remains - who makes the final decision(s)?

Does the NCAA issue a blanket ruling for all schools? Is it done conference-by-conference? State-by-state? School-by-school?

right now, nothing is certain and everything is theoretically possible.

Given the money involved, I still tend to believe that football will be played this year. but, I also tend to believe that there will NOT be fans in the stands. I also think it is very possible that teams could wind up playing fewer games, and the start of the season could be pushed back a month or more.

ICYMI - DII came out and announced that football teams will play a 10-game regular season instead of the normal 11 games. It was announced as a cost-saving measure. similar restrictions on other DII sports - hoops can play 22 games instead of 28 and so forth.

Think the first hurdle is the states themselves. Once the states don't have restrictions in place that would stop teams from playing then it would fall to the individual Universities to decide wha they are going to do.

All the signs seem to be pointing towards football in the fall with no or limited fans in the stands. I can see why the Michigan president would be more skeptical then some of the others though given the way things have gone in Michigan over the course of the pandemic and the restrictions in place by the governor.

Will be interesting to see what happens as teams resume on campus work in a few weeks. Think that will either put a lot of fears to bed or it will confirm worst case scenarios and shut things down.

I am pretty old but would not watch CNN or Fox news because they both use "i think" in their delivery as a effort to support a political party.
Yeah except I like Tucker Carlson. He’s the only one I’ll watch and actually listen to. I watch Madcow or Lemon to laugh at their mental illness

Keep in mind: Michigan is in a pact with other midwestern states on how to reopen.

Michigan isn't going to do anything wildly different than Ohio, Illinois, or Minnesota.

It's still May! We'll learn a lot more in June (y)

It’s not college sports, but the more of these we get, the better. Especially in the epicenter of the pandemic.

Yeah except I like Tucker Carlson. He’s the only one I’ll watch and actually listen to. I watch Madcow or Lemon to laugh at their mental illness

Based on some of your previous posts, I assume when you say "mental illness" about them you say that because they're homosexuals?

Based on some of your previous posts, I assume when you say "mental illness" about them you say that because they're homosexuals?

Nah, they are just nutjobs from over the top TDS. Nothing to do with their sexuality.

If the solution is 25-50% capacity at football stadiums this fall, how many season ticket holders do we have? I’d guess they’d do priority by Gopher score.

Joe Burrow won the Heisman last year taking a bunch of online classes.
Are schools really going to say Zoom is just as good as the normal college experience, charge the same ridiculous sum for it, and then say, "whoa, now we can't have the football team play voluntarily in an empty stadium because we're not really back"

The Michigan Governor is definitely a concern. I think she’s the least likely in the Big Ten states to give the green light.

She has said she isn’t opposed to sports, but no chance that fans will be in the building. She’s saying no large gatherings till a vaccine is ready. So I don’t know what happens if we never get an effective one.

However, she might not let students on campus, and if the president says no football without students then we’ll see how much he bends.

Last edited:

Keep in mind: Michigan is in a pact with other midwestern states on how to reopen.

Michigan isn't going to do anything wildly different than Ohio, Illinois, or Minnesota.

I’m seeing no evidence of Whitmer following the rest of these states in the “pact.” She is doing her own thing while Ohio, Indiana, and Minnesota seem to be following each other rather closely.

MI had 5 deaths today. 5. And southeast Michigan is still heavy on restrictions while everyone else is opening restaurants, churches, salons, and retail.

Last edited:

I’m seeing no evidence of Whitmer following the rest of these states in the “pact.” She is doing her own thing while Ohio, Indiana, and Minnesota seem to be following each other rather closely.

MI had 5 deaths today. 5. And southeast Michigan is still heavy on restrictions while everyone else is opening restaurants, churches, salons, and retail.
If your neighbor jumped off of a bridge would you follow him?

]

Schlissel also comes at this from a background in immunology.

President Schlissel began his career as a faculty member in 1991 at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, where he earned a number of awards and fellowships for his research and teaching. He moved to the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology at the University of California-Berkeley in 1999 as associate professor, advancing to full professor in 2002, and serving as the department’s vice chair from 2002 to 2007. He taught undergraduate and graduate courses in immunology, as well as a large introductory course in biology for life science majors.

He was UC-Berkeley’s dean of biological sciences in the College of Letters & Science beginning in 2008 and held the C.H. Li Chair in Biochemistry until his appointment as Brown’s provost in 2011.

His research has focused on the developmental biology of B lymphocytes, the cell type in the immune system that secretes antibodies. His work has contributed to a detailed understanding of genetic factors involved in the production of antibodies and how mistakes in that process can lead to leukemia and lymphoma. He is the author or coauthor of more than 100 scientific papers and has trained 21 successful doctoral candidates in his lab.

Nationally, he has served as member and chair of the Immunobiology Study Section at the National Institutes of Health and on the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Scientific Review Board. President Schlissel was elected to the American Society of Clinical Investigators in 1998 and the American Association of Physicians in 2013.

To me that is the only rational way to approach it. If you don't determine it safe for all students to be back on campus, then it's certainly not safe for a select group of students to be on campus and in close contact with one another (and students from other campuses). I wonder how many people who think there should be football in this scenario (students not on campus, football being played) that also think student athletes should not be paid? That would seem to be the ultimate hypocrisy.

What previous posts would lead you to believe that I have an issue with them because of their sexuality? I’m talking about their deranged minds, not who they choose to sleep with. It’s just coincidental that two of the biggest piles of shit on tv are homosexuals. That never crossed my mind though, way to draw your own conclusions though ??

....lefty idiots I tell ya....

What previous posts would lead you to believe that I have an issue with them because of their sexuality? I’m talking about their deranged minds, not who they choose to sleep with. It’s just coincidental that two of the biggest piles of shit on tv are homosexuals. That never crossed my mind though, way to draw your own conclusions though ??

I guess it was one of your other pro-life pals on here. My bad.

And you’re a righty idiot.

The Michigan Governor is definitely a concern. I think she’s the least likely in the Big Ten states to give the green light.
agreed...she has big problems and she has no idea what's going on and gets all her direction from the old lady Pelosi.

]

Schlissel also comes at this from a background in immunology.

Nationally, he has served as member and chair of the Immunobiology Study Section at the National Institutes of Health and on the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Scientific Review Board. President Schlissel was elected to the American Society of Clinical Investigators in 1998 and the American Association of Physicians in 2013.
Meh. Detailed knowledge of molecular immunology doesn’t equate to epidemiology or how to manage a pandemic

Name calling very mature.

Yeah just like MJFelton15 and trump, very mature. Did you read trump’s tweets today? Talk about name calling! What an example he is. Why don’t you trump supporters quit being such hypocrites. America just gets dumber by the day. God help us.

Yeah just like MJFelton15 and trump, very mature. Did you read trump’s tweets today? Talk about name calling! What an example he is. Why don’t you trump supporters quit being such hypocrites. America just gets dumber by the day. God help us.
I do not have any social media and I am proud of it. Also this is a football forum not political.

I think the season is 70/30 to be played, but all the people bragging about being stupid makes me think the odds could be worse.

Well just don't bring it back to Minnesota like the Missouri fiasco with a Great Clips store.

You realize Minnesota hair salons are opening on June 1st, right?

I couldn’t wait, so I bought one of these on Friday. It went so well, I don’t think I’ll ever pay for another haircut.

If the solution is 25-50% capacity at football stadiums this fall, how many season ticket holders do we have? I’d guess they’d do priority by Gopher score.
I wouldn't exactly worry about the status of holding season tickets just yet. The season is a long ways away. I'd still be shocked if football isn't played this fall with stadiums at normal capacity. There may be one or two additional steps required for entry, and some other precautions inside, but that would be about it

Top Bottom