All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

Amazing how quick and athletic (he can already dunk better than EE!) he is at that weight. I'd actually be pretty interested in bringing him in. Maybe even redshirt him while he works on his body.

ETA: His body reminds me of Anthony Mason.

Hard to say what his consistent range is, but I like his footwork, balance and lateral quickness, especially for an overweight guy. And he does look to have great skill.

When should we start recruiting this guy

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WrRDzyORG5s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When should we start recruiting this guy

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WrRDzyORG5s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm willing to bet the house that he ends up at Ohio State. I also think that Richard should offer his teammate #12, since Richard likes small PG's.

Something else to watch. In the past 24 hours or so, the Gophers have gotten 3 "crystal ball" prediction for guard Malik Ellison including one from Jerry Meyer. Malik is listed as a 6'5 guard from Life Center Academy in New Jersey and it appears that his top two schools are Minnesota and Maryland.

http://247sports.com/Player/Malik-Ellison-24252

More info. Malik is the son of "Never Nervous" Pervis Ellison. Here's a brief highlight tape:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VbrMpzlIblM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Think we would reach out to Semi Ojeleye? He could just be looking to get back home to Kansas (K State or Wichita State).

Think we would reach out to Semi Ojeleye? He could just be looking to get back home to Kansas (K State or Wichita State).

A tweet from CBS's Jon Rothstein last night:

"Duke transfer Semi Ojeleye has cut his list to Illinois, Creighton, Washington, SMU, Oregon, and Wisconsin, source told"

Something else to watch. In the past 24 hours or so, the Gophers have gotten 3 "crystal ball" prediction for guard Malik Ellison including one from Jerry Meyer. Malik is listed as a 6'5 guard from Life Center Academy in New Jersey and it appears that his top two schools are Minnesota and Maryland.

http://247sports.com/Player/Malik-Ellison-24252

Wow, another guard.

Another thing to consider when discussing who the Gophers are going after right now is that there's going to be a lot more 5'10 to 6'5 guys available that can play at this level than there are 6'7-7'0. I don't think another big man project really fits on the roster right now with as much individual development and instruction that Konate and Diediou probably need right now. I would hope the Gophers would be very active on the JUCO front or a potential 5th year transfer to come in and play some minutes in the post next season.

More info. Malik is the son of "Never Nervous" Pervis Ellison. Here's a brief highlight tape:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VbrMpzlIblM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like a good player... decent offer list.

Not that surprising considering Lofton and likely McNeil wont be with the program next year when they were expected to be.

Yeah, I just assumed we would go after a JUCO or one year transfer to even up the classes a little bit.

I'm not against this by any means (not that it really matters what I think), just was surprised.

If he is actually 6'5 he would prolly play the 3 in Pitino's system, and we definitely need some depth behind Morris next year... So I'm not too shocked

I figured McBrayer has a chance to play the 3. He's listed at 6'4" right now.

I figured McBrayer has a chance to play the 3. He's listed at 6'4" right now.

I think McBrayer has a chance to play the 3, but it's not like he couldn't play the 2 if we add another wing player. That is supposedly one of the best things about McBrayer - versatility.

Yeah, I just assumed we would go after a JUCO or one year transfer to even up the classes a little bit.

I'm not against this by any means (not that it really matters what I think), just was surprised.

If one is available I think they might go after a Juco or transfer that can play in the middle, not 100% sold on Konate and a freshman being the only options.

If one is available I think they might go after a Juco or transfer that can play in the middle, not 100% sold on Konate and a freshman being the only options.

This is why we need a juco 5. Konate logging 30 minutes would be scary as a sophomore. He seems to be quite intelligent and has improved significantly since day one, but to be our #1 big next year would mean Wonk Woo would have to be Nate Mason Esque good.

McBryer's doctor can kiss my ass. If hes 6'4" today, I'm assuming he'll be 6'4" until I see him at 6'6" or greater and assume that as a bonus. That said, we don't need a conventional "longer" wing player. We will live n die by the speed'm up and hope they turn it over. If we can dictate pace, we win, if we don't we will struggle. I say get 3 guys that can shoot, dribble and defend and figure out what size they are later. Have 2 guys that can rebound, set good screens, run and deny the basketball in the post. Then RUN!

This is why we need a juco 5. Konate logging 30 minutes would be scary as a sophomore. He seems to be quite intelligent and has improved significantly since day one, but to be our #1 big next year would mean Wonk Woo would have to be Nate Mason Esque good.

McBryer's doctor can kiss my ass. If hes 6'4" today, I'm assuming he'll be 6'4" until I see him at 6'6" or greater and assume that as a bonus. That said, we don't need a conventional "longer" wing player. We will live n die by the speed'm up and hope they turn it over. If we can dictate pace, we win, if we don't we will struggle. I say get 3 guys that can shoot, dribble and defend and figure out what size they are later. Have 2 guys that can rebound, set good screens, run and deny the basketball in the post. Then RUN!
Pitino says the "Gas" can play the 5 as well. With Gaston, Konate and Nwankwo all here next year it seems doubtful to me that they add another 5 this spring unless they find a very good plug and play Juco.

Pitino says the "Gas" can play the 5 as well. With Gaston, Konate and Nwankwo all here next year it seems doubtful to me that they add another 5 this spring unless they find a very good plug and play Juco.

So you think he's going to be comfortable with 2 Sophomores and a Freshman going into next year?

If Wonk Woo is a stud, I'm cool with that, but I'd just as soon redshirt him in favor of a solid/serviceable JUCO/5th Year to give our foreign dignitary's some more time to season.

So you think he's going to be comfortable with 2 Sophomores and a Freshman going into next year?

If Wonk Woo is a stud, I'm cool with that, but I'd just as soon redshirt him in favor of a solid/serviceable JUCO/5th Year to give our foreign dignitary's some more time to season.

I like where Kontae is at for this stage in his career and think he will be ready to play 25-30 mpg next season.

I'm with you on that one, Winasota. I like Konate and his potential, but he's got a long ways to go. I think his limitations would be taken advantage of in a big way. Foul trouble alone may prevent him from playing 30 minutes.

Comfortable? I doubt it. As I said - unless he finds a very good plug and play juco.....

Gophers could absolutely use some help at center next season.

Konate could take a decent leap, but after that.. who knows what even happens with Diedhiou... and Nwankwo looks like he'll need some time for things to come together even though physically he's ready.

Dupree - can play as a wing along with two other guards, depending on opponent. Pretty versatile and long; I think there's a lot of things you can do with him.

Matt Jessen-Howard
‏@mjessenhoward 2015 Life Center/WeR1 shooting guard Malik Ellison (@likellison13) will take an official visit to Minnesota on Monday.

Matt Jessen-Howard
‏@mjessenhoward 2015 Life Center/WeR1 shooting guard Malik Ellison (@likellison13) will take an official visit to Minnesota on Monday.

We are starting quite the recruting war with Maryland aren't we.... Wasn't Dorsey a Maryland lean before we picked up steam on him?

Yep. I believe Maryland offered Jarvis right after Dorsey committed here, too.

Based on what I saw last night, a Maryland rivalry would be quite gruesome! They've got some imposing guardsl! Lets hope our victories off the court pay dividends on the court.

Based on what I saw last night, a Maryland rivalry would be quite gruesome! They've got some imposing guardsl! Lets hope our victories off the court pay dividends on the court.

Definitely. Here's hoping that Trimble isn't a four year player.

Top Bottom