All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

Ryan James was on with Doogie tonight and gave a lot of good information. He said the Gophers want a long wing and a long PF in the Spring and that he's very confident the Gophers will take two in the Spring. His comments on Ellison were interesting: Said Ellison is going to be a later decision and that Temple, SMU, Maryland, Creighton, and now Indiana are all involved. Ellison loved his visit and loved the black out and the atmosphere at the Barn. Reading between the lines before his visit, I had gotten the feeling that Ellison had been cooled on (sort of like Alex Foster? who Tubby recruited) by a lot of programs, but it sure sounds like I was off base on that one.

Doogie then chimes in and says that he has a source over at the U that says the Gophers are sitting pretty with KJ Walton. Ryan James then analyzes Walton's game and says that he really likes his game. Grades are going to go down to the second with Walton and he's put up big numbers both in HS and in AAU. That said, Ryan feels like the staff really needs forwards and might not go for a 6'3 SG like Walton with one of their available scholarships.

On PF's, no names are emerging yet. Ryan says that the staff just made a call on Downey (the JUCO PF from Milwaukee), but found out there's just "too much baggage" there and is not going to go down that route.

Another interesting note was that Ryan said the Gophers DID look in to some transfers last Spring (mentioned Illinois State kid that ended up at Indiana), but didn't like the fit with any of them.

2016 notes: Doogie says Hurt will be a Gopher, Coffey will not. Ryan tends to think Hurt will be a Gopher, but is not as confident as Doogie, but he also is not as sold on Coffey to ISU as Doogie. Marquette was mentioned as the third school involved with Coffey. I guess the "blue bloods" are currently out on Coffey due to the uncertainty around his injury.

Ryan James was on with Doogie tonight and gave a lot of good information. He said the Gophers want a long wing and a long PF in the Spring and that he's very confident the Gophers will take two in the Spring. His comments on Ellison were interesting: Said Ellison is going to be a later decision and that Temple, SMU, Maryland, Creighton, and now Indiana are all involved. Ellison loved his visit and loved the black out and the atmosphere at the Barn. Reading between the lines before his visit, I had gotten the feeling that Ellison had been cooled on (sort of like Alex Foster? who Tubby recruited) by a lot of programs, but it sure sounds like I was off base on that one.

Doogie then chimes in and says that he has a source over at the U that says the Gophers are sitting pretty with KJ Walton. Ryan James then analyzes Walton's game and says that he really likes his game. Grades are going to go down to the second with Walton and he's put up big numbers both in HS and in AAU. That said, Ryan feels like the staff really needs forwards and might not go for a 6'3 SG like Walton with one of their available scholarships.

On PF's, no names are emerging yet. Ryan says that the staff just made a call on Downey (the JUCO PF from Milwaukee), but found out there's just "too much baggage" there and is not going to go down that route.

Another interesting note was that Ryan said the Gophers DID look in to some transfers last Spring (mentioned Illinois State kid that ended up at Indiana), but didn't like the fit with any of them.

2016 notes: Doogie says Hurt will be a Gopher, Coffey will not. Ryan tends to think Hurt will be a Gopher, but is not as confident as Doogie, but he also is not as sold on Coffey to ISU as Doogie. Marquette was mentioned as the third school involved with Coffey. I guess the "blue bloods" are currently out on Coffey due to the uncertainty around his injury.

Thanks for the recap. I always am interested in how to interpret the confidence a reporter has on where a guy is going to commit. If a kid hasn't committed, he probably hasn't made his decision. Plus a reporter is probably getting his info from somewhere other than the source. So how is it that one guy is more confident than the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info. thanks for the recap!

User Actions
Follow

Eric BossiVerified account
‏@ebosshoops
DeLaSalle's Sacar Anim is a bubble high major guy as spring recruit. Tough wing. Would love to see he and Tyson Jolly matchup

Anim was really good again today against one of the best teams from Chicago. 30 points at the Timberwolves shootout. Underrated tough kid.

Underrated tough kid.

I see highlights of Jarvis on the tube and read the box score and Anim has great (better?) numbers. I haven't seen them play live so I gotta ask. Who is the best player on DLS?

Anim is the best player on DLS but Jarvis is a better prospect. Anim is productive. I'm curious how high of D1 he ends up.

Good info. They absolutely need a JUCO 4 or 5 (preferably a 5) for next year.

I like Doogie, he gets a lot of info no one else does. But anything from him involving ISU should be taken with a cup of salt. He seems to report whatever Hoiberg/Hoiberg's agent tell him.

I see highlights of Jarvis on the tube and read the box score and Anim has great (better?) numbers. I haven't seen them play live so I gotta ask. Who is the best player on DLS?

Anim is a great high school player, almost unstopable. Nearly all his points come from his ability to finish strong with both hands at the rim. I think he isn't appreciated by high majors because of his lack of a solid jump shot and they must think him being 6'4", rim attacker, and good defender isn't enought to play at the next level. Personally he is one of my favorite players to watch in Minnesota HS basketball.

Good info. They absolutely need a JUCO 4 or 5 (preferably a 5) for next year.

I like Doogie, he gets a lot of info no one else does. But anything from him involving ISU should be taken with a cup of salt. He seems to report whatever Hoiberg/Hoiberg's agent tell him.

Uh huh.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Uh huh.

Not sure what your point is (aside from wanting to be 'right' about Gaston)? Even Pitino has contradicted himself about Gaston playing. At this point a redshirt seems logical.

Not sure what your point is (aside from wanting to be 'right' about Gaston)? Even Pitino has contradicted himself about Gaston playing. At this point a redshirt seems logical.

You don't think he'll play now? At this point maybe you try something radical. (I wouldn't, but could see a coach doing so.)

Most reporters are simply regurgitating mouthpieces. Too tough for 'em to think.

Anim is the best player on DLS but Jarvis is a better prospect. Anim is productive. I'm curious how high of D1 he ends up.

This is pretty accurate, Sacar is a better player right now but I think Jarvis will be better in college. The frustrating thing about watching Jarvis play yesterday was that he doesn't really have a killer instinct. DeLaSalle went down 15-2 at the beginning of the game and I kept waiting for Jarvis to try to turn things around but he seemed to keep looking for Sacar instead of making something happen.

On a positive note, Morgan Park is a pressing team and they had to drop that after the first two or three possessions because Jarvis was beating it so easily by himself. I was sitting at the scorer's table right by the MP bench and they made a point to press again when Jarvis came out with foul trouble. He also made some really big free throws down the stretch.

I like Sacar a lot but I'm not sure what position he is in college. He plays like a 3 but is the size of a 2.

I like Sacar a lot but I'm not sure what position he is in college. He plays like a 3 but is the size of a 2.

Sounds like Joe Coleman. (No coincidence, then, that Coleman ended up at a mid major and looks like that's what Sacar will be as well). Nothing wrong with that, as we see every year in the NCAA tourney.

We'll be stacked at the guard position next year. A lot of young talent.

We'll be talented, but Dorsey and Johnson will be true freshman and will probably be a bit green. Most freshman aren't as poised as Mason has been.

If all 3 stick around for 4 years and develop like we expect them too, we'll have a very very good backcourt in a couple years. If McBrayer works out too and we're able to land Coffey, Trent, or other players of that caliber we'll be in very good shape for years to come.

We'll be talented, but Dorsey and Johnson will be true freshman and will probably be a bit green. Most freshman aren't as poised as Mason has been.

If all 3 stick around for 4 years and develop like we expect them too, we'll have a very very good backcourt in a couple years. If McBrayer works out too and we're able to land Coffey, Trent, or other players of that caliber we'll be in very good shape for years to come.

There will be growing pains, for sure. But Dorsey and Johnson are both VERY talented. We simply aren't used to seeing this caliber of guard recruit at MN.

There will be growing pains, for sure. But Dorsey and Johnson are both VERY talented. We simply aren't used to seeing this caliber of guard recruit at MN.

I'm sure they're very good, but Andre was a four-star recruit, as was Devoe Joseph.

I'm sure they're very good, but Andre was a four-star recruit, as was Devoe Joseph.

IMO that is where this coaching staff NEEDS player development to be tangible. I think Andre would be an absolute beast right now if he progressively got better and better as each season went on. Honestely I cannot tell any difference in his game from his first year here to this his senior year. That is a problem that I hope does not continue when we do get talent here. A highly talented recruit SHOULD graduate as a polished player that impacts each game and the next crop of young talent will hopefully do so.

IMO that is where this coaching staff NEEDS player development to be tangible. I think Andre would be an absolute beast right now if he progressively got better and better as each season went on. Honestely I cannot tell any difference in his game from his first year here to this his senior year. That is a problem that I hope does not continue when we do get talent here. A highly talented recruit SHOULD graduate as a polished player that impacts each game and the next crop of young talent will hopefully do so.

He's better now than his freshmen or sophomore years. we just remember the really good games and forget everything else.

He's better now than his freshmen or sophomore years. we just remember the really good games and forget everything else.

yep. He was also helped when paired with Mbakwe and Williams. Stop and think about having either of them at PF and what this team looks like and how it might make other players better, create more open looks.

yep. He was also helped when paired with Mbakwe and Williams. Stop and think about having either of them at PF and what this team looks like and how it might make other players better, create more open looks.

Was watching the MSU game the other day, one where they just housed Indiana(or was it someone else, cannot remember) in the second half. Dawson makes every rebound with his HEAD ABOVE the rim (exaggerating a bit obviously). Imagine if we had a guy that got rebounds with their HANDS above the rim?

HOH LEE CHIT.

Was watching the MSU game the other day, one where they just housed Indiana(or was it someone else, cannot remember) in the second half. Dawson makes every rebound with his HEAD ABOVE the rim (exaggerating a bit obviously). Imagine if we had a guy that got rebounds with their HANDS above the rim?

HOH LEE CHIT.

Martin had that ability, he could get up above the rim, he went up over King in the intra squad scrimmage and just slammed a rebound back down, obviously had major flaws in other parts of his game but in time I could see him being that kind of guy, wish he would have stayed around.

Ken Lien @mrbasketballmn · 12h 12 hours ago
"Strong" rumor.... Marquette may offer Sacar Anim from DeLaSalle

Top Bottom