All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Downey is from Milwaukee, here's some high school footage:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/20966113" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/20966113">BadgerBlitz.com presents D'andre Downey</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/jonmcnamara">Jon McNamara</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

His rebounding stats are what continuously surprise me. If I remember correctly he had 9 boards in a game earlier.

Don't know what is "continuously" surprising, but he's not at all a rebounder (on a projected basis). That's fine - not what he'll be here for, but just to clear up your comment for you and others reading - don't expect Dorsey to rebound. Tiny, tiny rebounding percentages in EYBL play.

Don't know what is "continuously" surprising, but he's not at all a rebounder (on a projected basis). That's fine - not what he'll be here for, but just to clear up your comment for you and others reading - don't expect Dorsey to rebound. Tiny, tiny rebounding percentages in EYBL play.

Continuously would me projecting that the two stat lines I've seen apply to a seasons worth of work. I'm supposing you've got full season stats in front of you saying those are aberrations not the norm.

Either way, he's a hustler and in no way was I suggesting he was some beast on the boards, just that he can pull in a long rebound or 6.

Go Gophers!!

It's great that Mason is putting up great numbers. If not......I'd be worried about Dorsey changing his mind about where he wants to play. But......that's just the cynic in me. He'll be a game changer and boost this program to a contender. That's the optimist view that I have.

It's great that Mason is putting up great numbers. If not......I'd be worried about Dorsey changing his mind about where he wants to play. But......that's just the cynic in me. He'll be a game changer and boost this program to a contender. That's the optimist view that I have.
Because we lost two road big 10 games? Holy ****....

re: Downey; Hope he can get everything on track & find a D-I school. Can do some good things on the court.

From elsewhere... I had written:
Would fit in well with what Pitino is trying to do. Downey can hound the defense and has good length. Very skilled shot-blocker. Would only be a two-year guy (which is perfectly fine given the state of the Gophers' roster).

Played HS in Milwaukee some, but had grade issues. He was at Riverside with current UCONN Huskie and former Gopher target Phillip Nolan... (Riverside is also where Gopher FB DB Eric Murray went to HS.. very close to the wonderful Oakland Gyros in Milwaukee).

I recall he was transferring to West Allis Central (near suburb of Milwaukee) at some point, but don't recall what came of that.. I think eligibility continued to be an issue for him. Played with DTA Spartans in travel ball - would routinely register several blocks in games.

Last year was at a different JUCO. Well-traveled young man with a history of academic issues... so some flags are there, but the skill and fit are worth taking another long look at him for Minnesota.

Who's Downey, and are we supposed to be familiar with him?

Go Gophers!!

Ellison's Mom was pretty fired up during Gophers come back last night. She was up and cheering with the rest of the fans. Like most recruits, Malik played it cool, looked at his cell phone, occasionally stood up but only if the guys in front of him were standing. I take nothing away from those observations, but I do like looking at how the recruits and their families react.

They were pretty much ignored all halftime. Usually the recruiting coordinator introduces recruits to folks in and around the area, but we didn't see that at all. The coordinator was busy talking to Ryan Saunders all halftime. Seemed like a good chance to introduce Ryan (an assistant in the NBA) to Malik and his Mom. They didn't need to know that Ryan never played. I'm sure it also would have made a modest impression if he had met Wiggins, LaVine, and the other Wolves, but no introduction was made.

I hope they didn't freeze.

PiPress: Richard Pitino thinks recruit Kevin Dorsey can lead as freshman

The Gophers (11-5, 0-3) are off to a rough start in Big Ten play, but Dorsey remained excited about second-year Minnesota coach Richard Pitino's team after watching last Saturday's loss at Maryland.

"I'm going to be there next year and most likely play a big role," Dorsey said. "They want me to come in prepared and put in all the work that's needed. The Big Ten is very tough; it's probably the toughest conference out there. I've just got to keep putting in the work every day. No days off."

Dorsey, ranked 86th in 2015 Class by Rivals.com, leads a four-player recruiting class that signed in November and also includes guards Jarvis Johnson and Dupree McBrayer and center Jonathan Nwankwo.

Minnesota will have new backcourt next season with seniors DeAndre Mathieu and Andre Hollins gone, and Dorsey is the top candidate to replace Mathieu as the team's floor leader because of his defense.

"I think he can potentially be one of the best on-ball defenders in the country," Pitino said Monday. "Now, as a freshman, you never know; but he's as good as it gets in that regard. And certainly, as you're recruiting to a certain style of play, you have to recruit to the fit. We feel with Kevin Dorsey, we've got a real good on-ball defender.

"Offensively, he's real good off the bounce. He kind of lets the game come to him offensively. But I know he's having a real good senior year. And we're going to need him because we lose a lot of guard depth. But he physically can be ready to play."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Recruits will be key

One good thing for the Gophers is that Pitino already has four commitments for the Class of 2015 and still has some scholarships with which to work. The Gophers will lose five seniors after this season in Hollins, Mathieu, Elliott Eliason, Mo Walker and Kendal Shell.

Pitino already has signed Kevin Dorsey, a four-star recruit out of Maryland who is ranked as the 86th-best player in the country by Rivals.com. Dorsey, along with Jarvis Johnson, Pitino’s first big Minnesota signee, could immediately help in the backcourt.

Dorsey, who plays for Clinton Christian School in Upper Marlboro, Md., is averaging 19.4 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 2.7 steals through 10 games this season.

Johnson, a 6-1 guard at DeLaSalle, is averaging 16.9 points through seven games.

Pitino’s third guard recruit is Dupree McBrayer, a 6-4 shooting guard out of Sunrise Christian Academy in Bel Aire, Kan., who Rivals has ranked 135th in the country.

The lone big man signed so far is 6-9 power forward Jonathan Nwankwo out of Victory Rock Prep in Bradenton, Fla., who also had offers from Boston College, Seton Hall and Tennessee.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/287863181.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

I'd love to see us bring in a talented center. Unfortunately......that isn't terribly common.

Nwankwo is a top 150 guy. He will be solid next year but young

+1. Nwankwo will be a good player for us but it will take some time. Almost always does for big men. We need Konate to continue develop and take a step forward next year. I think it will happen but it still wouldn't mind a grad transfer or JUCO (I know they're very rare) as insurance.

I'm on the JUCO PF bandwagon. But it sure seems like 95% of JUCO's don't make a winning impact until their second season. I expect Morris to become a lot more complete player by next season.

Also, there's lots of top 100 big men left for 2015 recruiting.

#4 - Diallo - PF
#5- Stone - C
#7 - Rabb - PF
#9 Zimmerman - C
#13 - Swanigan - PF
#16 - Bragg - PF
#25 - Bryant - PF
#34 - Papagiannis -C
#37 - Kapita - PF

I'm sure we're not in the running for any of these guys. But you never know. It'd be nice to steal one. We could promise immediate playing time.

Rankings source: 247

Top Bottom