All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

Also, I know alot of other people at the EYBL have been raving about new Howard Pulley player Dan Tillo. He's a well-built, 6'5 lefty SG who can ABSOLUTELY stroke it from three. Even the few shots he didn't make were right on-line and looked good. Showed some good defensive skills and was a decent rebounder.

*I'm not trying to order the coaching staff (actually, I guess I am), but OFFER him this summer!

I was listening to an NFL draft podcast a few weeks ago with a guy whose opinion I value. He was really high on Rashede Hageman and the host of the podcast was challenging him on that opinion. "He disappears for long stretches", "He's so raw", "He's inconsistent", etc,etc. The scout/analyst responded with "Do you draft players or do you draft prospects?" He went on to say that Hageman did things on tape that no other defensive tackle in this draft class did and those flashes, combined with his measurables made him one of the most intriguing players in the draft. In his opinion, you don't draft players based solely on what they can do for you today, you also should factor in what they can do for you tomorrow.

I usually try to avoid cross-sport comparisons, but this discussion kept popping up in my mind when I read about Jarvis Johnson's recent struggles and then view his highlight tape compared to other PG's the Gophers are associated with. I really like what I saw from Luwane Pipkins in my limited exposure to him and felt like the Gophers may have missed out when he committed to UMass a couple weeks ago when no bigger offers came his way following the Sacramento(I believe) portion of the EYBL. Pipkins is really athletic, and has a very nice looking jumper with range (though he went 3-20! from 3 at one stage during the Minneapolis EYBL this weekend) and put up some huge scoring games against some very tough Chicago Public League competition. Here's the thing: Pipkins is listed at 5'10 and he doesn't have a particularly stocky build. Now you have Kevin Dorsey who also has some fairly impressive YouTube highlights (and more instructive: better offers than Pipkins) and appears to be very quick and has a good feel for the game. He's bigger than Pipkins and (from what I can tell) might be a better distributor.

Then you have Jarvis, and Jarvis is the Rashede Hageman in this comparison. He's significantly bigger (listed at 6'1, 185) and physically looks like he could play college ball today. Then you watch him leap up and put in a two hand dunk and that type of athleticism is rare for PG's. He doesn't seem to have the handle of Dorsey, or the range of Pipkins, but as a prospect you can see why a team might envision what he can/will be in two years and make him a priority recruit. If you believe you can make him a more consistent shooter (or a great ball handler), then you have a kid who's going to be an absolute handful for anyone based on the athletic gifts he's already displayed.

I know opinions our mixed on Jarvis and it's very much true that many kids who are great athletes who never become proficient enough at basketball skills to become a great player. It's also true that a lot of kids are extremely skilled and have just enough athleticism to excel at the high school level, but then can't replicate that success at the next level against bigger/stronger/faster opposition.

I've never seen him play besides highlight tapes anybody care to give a summary on what kind of player he is?

Think Jalen Rose and Tayshaun Prince. Amir is a tall, smooth left-handed wing, with very solid ball-handling skills. Shooting mechanics also appear to be solid, but his biggest asset at this point (probably down the road as well) is his versatility. He has excellent size for a perimeter player, and can do some of everything on both ends of the floor. Will need to get stronger and fill out some, but he's a an excellent prospect.

Think Jalen Rose and Tayshaun Prince. Amir is a tall, smooth left-handed wing, with very solid ball-handling skills. Shooting mechanics also appear to be solid, but his biggest asset at this point (probably down the road as well) is his versatility. He has excellent size for a perimeter player, and can do some of everything on both ends of the floor. Will need to get stronger and fill out some, but he's a an excellent prospect.

+1 The other thing that stands out to me is, he is a very good passer.

Especially when he shows flashes of being able to make plays like these. Insane for a pg.

After reading Ryan James tweets this weekend I would love to see Chris Clarke and Kevin Dorsey in Gopher uniforums. By the way he put his tweets they both sound like great defenders, and are very active

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> have three-star Oakland Soldiers point guard Max Hazzard on their radar. Hazzard was a top performer in this <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23EYBL&src=hash">#EYBL</a> session.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/470953451648999425">May 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

After reading Ryan James tweets this weekend I would love to see Chris Clarke and Kevin Dorsey in Gopher uniforums. By the way he put his tweets they both sound like great defenders, and are very active

Chris Clarke's motor is UNREAL. If he's in the middle of the paint with 3 other guys and there's a rebound, count on him coming down with the ball. He plays basketball with a football mentality, although very controlled I might add. One of the parents of a Meanstreets player said "god, that man gotta have 20 damn rebounds by now". Needs to work on his shooting, but right now, every other part of his game is a plus!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> have three-star Oakland Soldiers point guard Max Hazzard on their radar. Hazzard was a top performer in this <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23EYBL&src=hash">#EYBL</a> session.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/470953451648999425">May 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

Worth offering IMO. Extremely confident and comfortable pulling up from within 25 feet. Dynamic three point shooter who bailed his team out of jams in the half court set, and was single-handedly the reason why his team was able to fend off a massive run from the Southern Stampede on Sunday. I will add that he isn't a ball hog at all though! He really impressed me.

Chris Clarke's motor is UNREAL. If he's in the middle of the paint with 3 other guys and there's a rebound, count on him coming down with the ball. He plays basketball with a football mentality, although very controlled I might add. One of the parents of a Meanstreets player said "god, that man gotta have 20 damn rebounds by now". Needs to work on his shooting, but right now, every other part of his game is a plus!

Always room for guys on a team that hustle and play hard

Was at the EYBL for two full days this weekend and I cannot agree more with both of those guys being great defenders. I watched more of Dorsey than Clarke and in doing so realized that Dorsey is incredibly active on the defensive end; there were many times when he followed his guy out to half-court denying him the entire time. I watched him guard multiple guys over the weekend and was impressed with his defense every time. He's also got an incredible mid-range jumper.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just confirmed from De Pere coach Brian Winchester that Brevin Pritzl has verbally committed to play for Bo Ryan and Wisconsin. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Badgers&src=hash">#Badgers</a></p>— Doug Ritchay (@dougritchay) <a href="https://twitter.com/dougritchay/statuses/469669421603368960">May 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

Wisconsin continues to be the whitest team in college hoops. BYU is probably up there with them.

Just looked them up. Those are nice.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Minnesota gophers jordan 11's  <a href="http://t.co/dTrEGV2mPh">pic.twitter.com/dTrEGV2mPh</a></p>— amir coffey (@luckylefty13_) <a href="https://twitter.com/luckylefty13_/statuses/470014033249464320">May 24, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As an avid sneakerhead, these are my new grails.

+08

Here is a guy who actually keeps tabs on the racial make up of basketball teams and then actually thinks it is post worthy.

Some would say....

1266418652493.gif

Here is a guy who actually keeps tabs on the racial make up of basketball teams and then actually thinks it is post worthy.

So we know at least one person that is helping to drive the political correctness movement. Sorry that I've seen them play a lot, and I made an observation that offends you. We certainly haven't had that observation made before on this board.

:rolleyes:

A few thoughts after spending some time at the EYbL.

Of the 4 Gopher recruits on Pulleys team, Sacar is the go to guy on the team right now.
I hope he attends the shooting camp this summer, because he's got a lot of potential. When times get tough for the team and everyone looks discombobulated, he is the one who can make a play. Had some nice dunks.
The joe Coleman comparison makes sense. The differences are Sacar is longer, can handle the ball better, and is all over the court and in on every play always around the ball for rebounds and loose balls.
Sadly I think joe may be a better shooter, hope Sacar can get it together, he's got a lot of potential.

Jarvis still seems to be in a slump, but I think he is doing a good job being patient and not forcing things. I think he will get out of it soon enough, I don't think his confidence is too low.

Alex did not look very impressive, seemed timid & out matched by the tough competition: maybe I'm wrong tho.

Amir also didn't do a whole lot to impress me, but he was solid and he is still my favorite of these recruits and the most intriguing. Finishes well, long, can score in Bunche.

Again this was a very small sample size and I may be way off about something's.

Of the 4 Gopher recruits on Pulleys team, Sacar is the go to guy on the team right now.
I hope he attends the shooting camp this summer, because he's got a lot of potential. When times get tough for the team and everyone looks discombobulated, he is the one who can make a play. Had some nice dunks.
The joe Coleman comparison makes sense. The differences are Sacar is longer, can handle the ball better, and is all over the court and in on every play always around the ball for rebounds and loose balls.
Sadly I think joe may be a better shooter, hope Sacar can get it together, he's got a lot of potential.

Jarvis still seems to be in a slump, but I think he is doing a good job being patient and not forcing things. I think he will get out of it soon enough, I don't think his confidence is too low.

Alex did not look very impressive, seemed timid & out matched by the tough competition: maybe I'm wrong tho.

Amir also didn't do a whole lot to impress me, but he was solid and he is still my favorite of these recruits and the most intriguing. Finishes well, long, can score in Bunche.

Actually Alex led the team in scoring and rebounding this EYBL session and is hitting 44% from 3 for the season very nice stretch 4 numbers

From your comments, it appears the only Howard Pulley game you watched this weekend was either against the King James Shooting Stars or Baltimore Elite. Sacar has been very impressive this whole spring, so his performance was no surprise. Jarvis was actually incredibly impressive at times and played 3 strong games this weekend. He took control of a few games and just flat out dominated in 1. I was really happy with what I saw from him after being dissapointed with his play earlier in the year. Alex was also pretty good for the most part this weekend. And Amir also looked like a top 10 recruit at times this weekend, being pretty consistent throughout the whole tournament making his presence felt.

*I saw what I needed to see this weekend to confirm that these in-state gopher recruits are legitimate!

I hope he attends the shooting camp this

If the Pulley crew and Thornton didn't fix his shot over the past several years, I've got little hope (some, but little) it will be fixed this summer.

Yes, his shooting percentages are similar to Coleman. I think the rest of his game is solid enough he would be worth bringing in.

FT% 74.4
FG% 44.2
3P% 26.5 (29.2 last season)

#OTRHoopsReport – Prospect Eval – Allonzo Trier – May 27, 2014

Do not count on Trier making a college choice any time soon as he said recently that he will more than likely wait until next spring to make his decision. Although he has not made a list of colleges, those that are mentioned most often are Arizona, Baylor, Connecticut, Georgetown, Kansas, Louisville, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

http://ontheradarhoops.com/otrhoopsreport-prospect-eval-allonzo-trier-may-27-2014/

Go Gophers!!

Do not count on Trier making a college choice any time soon as he said recently that he will more than likely wait until next spring to make his decision. Although he has not made a list of colleges, those that are mentioned most often are Arizona, Baylor, Connecticut, Georgetown, Kansas, Louisville, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

http://ontheradarhoops.com/otrhoopsreport-prospect-eval-allonzo-trier-may-27-2014/

Go Gophers!!

NVM

From your comments, it appears the only Howard Pulley game you watched this weekend was either against the King James Shooting Stars or Baltimore Elite. Sacar has been very impressive this whole spring, so his performance was no surprise. Jarvis was actually incredibly impressive at times and played 3 strong games this weekend. He took control of a few games and just flat out dominated in 1. I was really happy with what I saw from him after being dissapointed with his play earlier in the year. Alex was also pretty good for the most part this weekend. And Amir also looked like a top 10 recruit at times this weekend, being pretty consistent throughout the whole tournament making his presence felt.

*I saw what I needed to see this weekend to confirm that these in-state gopher recruits are legitimate!

Good call GameDay.

Hoop Dreams I agree, his shot should have been corrected by now.
But I would never say its "too" late to learn, but it does take time to completely make over your shot comfortably.

and maybe he can find success with the ugly jumpshot some others have. (Kevin Martin, Shawn Marion, Lambeer, etc.)
So maybe he can get it together that way.

Go Gophers!!

Welp, it was fun knowing you Trier.

Welp, it was fun knowing you Trier.

I wrote something similar and then edited "jumping the gun", as I don't know that's Trier's list.

I read "those that are mentioned most often" to possibly mean that those that are mentioned about recruiting him, not necessarily him mentioning them.

I wrote something similar and then edited "jumping the gun", as I don't know that's Trier's list.

I read "those that are mentioned most often" to possibly mean that those that are mentioned about recruiting him, not necessarily him mentioning them.

Yeah I know, but I also think waiting until Spring pretty much eliminates us as well. By then UK, KU, UNC, Duke, Louisville, etc. will have put on their full court press. Our only hope was an early commitment and signing.

Yeah I know, but I also think waiting until Spring pretty much eliminates us as well. By then UK, KU, UNC, Duke, Louisville, etc. will have put on their full court press. Our only hope was an early commitment and signing.

Could be good for us too though. Pitino will have another year to impress him.

Top Bottom