All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

True, but he didn't even hang around long enough to give that a shot. Honestly, if he would have hung around and worked hard, he may have gotten a shot. It's not like King and our platoon of PF's lit it up last year.

Good point.

For the comments about moving us to the bubble. We have got to quit putting these freshman on such a pedestal. We haven't even seen him in a jersey yet.

Yeah and it's not like Murphy is a rivals top 150 or anything ...

What is your point? Wasn't Martin just outside that? And an espn 78, where Murphy is a 77...?

I hope Murphy could beat out King, I just don't think it's that likely the Sr. returning starter will lose his spot.

What is your point? Wasn't Martin just outside that? And an espn 78, where Murphy is a 77...?

I hope Murphy could beat out King, I just don't think it's that likely the Sr. returning starter will lose his spot.

Same could have been said about Little Dre, who was far more impressive in his junior year than any season King has put up thus far.

Martin was #229 in the composite rankings.
Murphy is #158.

Not a huge difference, but Murphy actually put up good numbers on the AAU circuit. Josh Martin played in something like 37 EYBL games and only scored in double figures three or four times, with a high of 12.

Not a huge difference?

Martin was #229 in the composite rankings.
Murphy is #158.

Not a huge difference, but Murphy actually put up good numbers on the AAU circuit. Josh Martin played in something like 37 EYBL games and only scored in double figures three or four times, with a high of 12.

71 spots is a fairly significant gap. If you go the other way it would get someone into the top 80's rank.

71 spots is a fairly significant gap

Not sure how accurate rankings are when you get in the upper #'s. When we were recruited Martin he was a 4 star.

"Martin’s ranked as a four-star prospect by ESPN.com and a three-star player by Rivals.com, Scout.com and 247sports.com"

What were Jordan's EYBL averages?

King starts next year at PF regardless of who else we sign. I don't understand the hate for him on this board. He's not Karl Malone but the guy works his a$$ off and loves being a Gopher and that's good enough for me. I hope we land Murphy, though, and he pushes King for his minutes. That will make us a better team.

King will start, I'd give Murphy a shot at starting next to him though at the 3, why not? either way, he's one of the best remaining talents still on the board, would be a great get.

I thought Martin was more versatile from watching videos of him in high school but I do think his competition in high school was pretty weak... either way, he was going to be a solid rotational player down the line.. he didn't want to work hard and quit too quickly to know though. Murphy & Gilbert give Pitino much, much better options when the guys from last year (Morris, King, Diedhiou, Buggs) underwhelm. I am a King guy though -- if he's making shots. If he's not making shots or taking shots, he needs to be on the bench.

King starts next year at PF regardless of who else we sign. I don't understand the hate for him on this board. He's not Karl Malone but the guy works his a$$ off and loves being a Gopher and that's good enough for me. I hope we land Murphy, though, and he pushes King for his minutes. That will make us a better team.

Very few hate King. I think everyone knows that this team would be a better team if there was someone able to push King to 6th man usage. However, my guess is that you are exactly right- we won't find someone that is able to beat King out of his starting role. I agree that we want someone who eats into King's minutes and is able to provide something different- such as rebounding. I hope that is Murphy. Meanwhile, we need King and we the Joey King that finished the year strong.

I highly doubt we have many freshmen other than Dorsey starting significant number of B1G 10 games next year.

I could be proven wrong, and I hope I am in the sense that a freshmen outperforms my expectations, but the only gaping hole in the roster being filled by a physical body would be at the 1 or 2 guard spot. None of the other freshmen have shown size or ability that I feel significantly out paces their incumbent upper classmen enough to force them out of a starting spot. Thats based off of a few highlight films and measurables per recruiting sites. So admittedly I know very little, but would be willing to place wagers if any odds maker were taking.

Mason at the 2
Morris at the 3
King at the 4
Konate at the 5

Very few hate King. I think everyone knows that this team would be a better team if there was someone able to push King to 6th man usage. However, my guess is that you are exactly right- we won't find someone that is able to beat King out of his starting role. I agree that we want someone who eats into King's minutes and is able to provide something different- such as rebounding. I hope that is Murphy. Meanwhile, we need King and we the Joey King that finished the year strong.

King is an ok player. If he gets any minutes like little Dre did last year, coaches will find a way to shut him down. For as much as I have seen him play, he is a very one-dimensional catch and shoot type of guy who is easy to defend. Murphy is much better option.

I think there is some very real hate going on. I don't get it?

I wouldn't classify it as hate. King works his butt off, but he is not very athletic. He fills a need now, and I am glad he is getting the opportunity, but he should not be starting at a B1G school. Murphy may not start immediately, but he will get significant minutes and should be able to grab the starting job later in the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King is an ok player. If he gets any minutes like little Dre did last year, coaches will find a way to shut him down. For as much as I have seen him play, he is a very one-dimensional catch and shoot type of guy who is easy to defend. Murphy is much better option.

I think that depends on your roster. If you have very few who can stretch the floor, a catch and shoot guy may be what you need. By all accounts, we'll have some guys who can penetrate. If Murphy's range isn't developed as of yet, King may be more valuable (even though it appears Murphy is a better athlete with better all-around skills). If the help defense can't leave Joey, our guards can get into the lane and wreak havoc with less resistance.

I think that depends on your roster. If you have very few who can stretch the floor, a catch and shoot guy may be what you need. By all accounts, we'll have some guys who can penetrate. If Murphy's range isn't developed as of yet, King may be more valuable (even though it appears Murphy is a better athlete with better all-around skills). If the help defense can't leave Joey, our guards can get into the lane and wreak havoc with less resistance.

The excitement will be seeing coach work with a full roster of quick and athletic players instead of having to plug holes with players out of position. There will be plenty of growing pains as the players gain experience, but it will be a fun ride.

The excitement will be seeing coach work with a full roster of quick and athletic players instead of having to plug holes with players out of position. There will be plenty of growing pains as the players gain experience, but it will be a fun ride. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed!

Very true.

I already can't wait for the Euro trip in August. Hopefully there is decent coverage so we can read about which of the freshmen impress.

This many new players makes me think back to Dutcher's 1978 class which was #1 in the country.

Trent Tucker, Darryl Mitchell, Gary Holmes, Mark Hall and Leo Rautins

I hope Joey King reads some of this stuff and looks at some of these posts every day during the rest of his college career...

They aren't really hateful they just should make him mad to think many of gopher nation want him to be replaced by any freshman we can get if at all possible. And hopefully he could use that to become stronger and better overall.

Hopefully we hear something for real soon. I'm sure he will let people know when he is going to commit sooner than later. I find it funny that people are arguing over King vs Murphy. Hopefully we even get him. That's a great problem to have if we do.

I find it funny that people are arguing over King vs Murphy. Hopefully we even get him.

Welcome to G-Hole. That is 90% the norm.

For a freshman to take King's starting job, he would have to really tear it up. Especially defensively and rebounding wise. King was at about 30mpg last season, it would be a positive sign if Gas, Buggs or a freshman could dip into that.

He has heard this stuff his whole career. How do you think he does what he does?

I wouldn't classify it as hate. King works his butt off, but he is not very athletic. He fills a need now, and I am glad he is getting the opportunity, but he should not be starting at a B1G school. Murphy may not start immediately, but he will get significant minutes and should be able to grab the starting job later in the year.

Joey can't help that he is the best option Pitino has had to this point. I totally respect that he plays his a$$ off and leaves his best on the floor. Plus he does certain things that no one else on the roster can do which are not likely not expected from a Frosh.

My take is that Pitino appreciates King as he tries very hard to be a complete player. I would guess that both understand Joey's limitations.

If this young man decides to become a Gopher, lets hope he has the makings to be the type of player to replace or compliment Joey to get us to the next level.

In the meantime, Joey King is the best we have.

I think this post is largely true, but I doubt RP thinks Joey is doing the best rebounding he could possibly do. He is a hard worker, but he works harder at the non-physical parts of the game.

I think this post is largely true, but I doubt RP thinks Joey is doing the best rebounding he could possibly do. He is a hard worker, but he works harder at the non-physical parts of the game.

I doubt that any Gopher on the roster took more charges than Joey. And he will mix it up and go for the loose ball. He understands what he needs to do and is willing to give up his body.

King will never be a good rebounder. Its not in his make-up. I don't doubt for a minute that he tries very hard to be a good rebounder and fully understands what the coaches expect.

But he can take charges with the best. Joey just re-adjusts his mouth piece and gets ready for the next round.

Every player on the roster has limitations and weak areas. My guess is that no one works harder at them than Joey.

I agree with Bayfield, I recall Joey playing fearlessly in Maui with a broken jaw against that behemoth SU front line. Has my respect. Best win of the season at Breslin was also some classic JK. Flawed, but you can't question his effort. Joey will log heavy minutes all season.

This many new players makes me think back to Dutcher's 1978 class which was #1 in the country.

Trent Tucker, Darryl Mitchell, Gary Holmes, Mark Hall and Leo Rautins

But beyond 5 new guys there isn't much comparison. Rautins, Hall and Tucker could all score, pretty much at at will. Nobody in this group is like that. And if memory serves, somehow Darryl Mitchell was the highest rated of the 5. Cookie Holmes was talented and nimble! I especially wish we had just one of those first 3 scorers from that group.

King is underrated in the post. Labeling him just a catch-and-shoot guy isn't fair. Of course he's limited, but he does a pretty good job with what he has. And to say Murphy is the better option without him even being in college yet is also pretty ridiculous IMO.

Top Bottom