All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

I hate when reporters pander to athletes the way Doogie does. It comes off as desperate

I would think if he got chet his future would not be uncertain. Chet has got to know that.
That's what baffles me about some guys. They don't want to come here because of Minnesota's success, but they should know that if they come here minnesota would be really good!

That's what baffles me about some guys. They don't want to come here because of Minnesota's success, but they should know that if they come here minnesota would be really good!
Why, they pick a school that they think will win even more than if they came here. They like to play for winners. Other schools show them that when the U does get highly ranked players they do not win all that much. Plus these kids like to play for a national brand. That is just the way it is. Find a way to beat those schools because it will not be by getting the more highly ranked players.

MN has been pumping out so much talent lately, I really didn't catch wind of this kid until last year. Now, he's blowing up and I've seen more and more of his clips. I'm fully prepared for him to pick someone else, but man it'd be fun to root for him in Maroon and Gold

He's got some nastiness in his play...and he seems like he's getting better at an exponential rate

1000% naive question, from a non-basketball guy: is he "too" skinny? His limbs look like sticks.

Obviously all that matters is if you can hold your own.

1000% naive question, from a non-basketball guy: is he "too" skinny? His limbs look like sticks.

Obviously all that matters is if you can hold your own.
Brandon Ingram was even skinnier at his age and ended up going #2 overall and had a really good year at Duke. Anthony Davis was quite a twig as well but UK and won national player of the year.

Why, they pick a school that they think will win even more than if they came here. They like to play for winners. Other schools show them that when the U does get highly ranked players they do not win all that much. Plus these kids like to play for a national brand. That is just the way it is. Find a way to beat those schools because it will not be by getting the more highly ranked players.
That will be tough to compete unless we start to cheat like those national brands. Unfortunately those schools are not held accountable for their cheating, but instead revered and looked at as "better options" just as you just did.

MN has been pumping out so much talent lately, I really didn't catch wind of this kid until last year. Now, he's blowing up and I've seen more and more of his clips. I'm fully prepared for him to pick someone else, but man it'd be fun to root for him in Maroon and Gold

He's got some nastiness in his play...and he seems like he's getting better at an exponential rate

That will be tough to compete unless we start to cheat like those national brands. Unfortunately those schools are not held accountable for their cheating, but instead revered and looked at as "better options" just as you just did.
They do not all cheat. What schools that offered Chet besides UNC cheated ? I SAY THEY CHEATED, Chet is not not saying it. I cheer for the Gophers, support the team by going to games and making donations but i do not ignore the reality that there are many programs the conference alone who win big, that do not cheat and that have a larger national brand. Recruits know that if they pick one of these schools they have a better chance of reaching their goals. It is ok to recognize the truth. They think they are getting better coaching and going to a program that wins championships.

They do not all cheat. What schools that offered Chet besides UNC cheated ? I SAY THEY CHEATED, Chet is not not saying it. I cheer for the Gophers, support the team by going to games and making donations but i do not ignore the reality that there are many programs the conference alone who win big, that do not cheat and that have a larger national brand. Recruits know that if they pick one of these schools they have a better chance of reaching their goals. It is ok to recognize the truth. They think they are getting better coaching and going to a program that wins championships.
Oh, so now you are talking specifically just about the schools that are recruiting Chet.

Ok, so how many of those schools jump off the page as fitting your criteria of having a huge national brand, are big time winners? Here are the most recent records. I would say maybe Michigan has been a constant winner, but they would be a "second tier national brand". So which of these schools would fit your criteria?

Georgetown

2019-20 15-17

2018-19 19-14

2017-18 15-15

2016-17 14-18

2015-16 15-18

Michigan

2019-20 19-12

2018-19 30-7

2017-18 33-8

2016-17 26-12

2015-16 23-13

Ohio State

2019-20 21-10

2018-19 20-15

2017-18 25-9

2016-17 17-15

2015-16 21-14

Memphis

2019-20 21-10

2018-19 22-14

2017-18 21-13

2016-17 19-13

2015-16 19-15

You can't spell Cheat without the letters Chet. Not that that means anything w/rpt to Chet.

Oh, so now you are talking specifically just about the schools that are recruiting Chet.

Ok, so how many of those schools jump off the page as fitting your criteria of having a huge national brand, are big time winners? Here are the most recent records. I would say maybe Michigan has been a constant winner, but they would be a "second tier national brand". So which of these schools would fit your criteria?

Georgetown

2019-20 15-17

2018-19 19-14

2017-18 15-15

2016-17 14-18

2015-16 15-18

Michigan

2019-20 19-12

2018-19 30-7

2017-18 33-8

2016-17 26-12

2015-16 23-13

Ohio State

2019-20 21-10

2018-19 20-15

2017-18 25-9

2016-17 17-15

2015-16 21-14

Memphis

2019-20 21-10

2018-19 22-14

2017-18 21-13

2016-17 19-13

2015-16 19-15
Michigan, Gonzaga and Ohio State all have a much better tradition of winning and a far bigger brand. If you think Michigan is a 2nd tier brand where do you put us ?

Michigan, Gonzaga and Ohio State all have a much better tradition of winning and a far bigger brand. If you think Michigan is a 2nd tier brand where do you put us ?
Ok, so now winning the B1G twice in 35 years is good enough to make Michigan a top national brand? What about your standards of excellence? Michigan’s conference record was under, at, or just barely over .500 for 18 out of the last 25 years. Are you lowerIng your standards?

Ok, so now winning the B1G twice in 35 years is good enough to make Michigan a top national brand? What about your standards of excellence? Michigan’s conference record was under, at, or just barely over .500 for 18 out of the last 25 years. Are you lowerIng your standards?
Seems like 5 sweet 16's, 3 elite 8's and 2 final 4's and 2 championship games in 8 years is noticeable nationally. Where would you rank us nationally ! Recruits notice, the media notices what that M stands for. 3 Times over 30 victories in 8 years and 7 of the last 8 seasons over .500 in the conference !

Last edited:

Georgetown

2019-20 15-17

2018-19 19-14

2017-18 15-15

2016-17 14-18

2015-16 15-18

Michigan

2019-20 19-12

2018-19 30-7

2017-18 33-8

2016-17 26-12

2015-16 23-13

Ohio State

2019-20 21-10

2018-19 20-15

2017-18 25-9

2016-17 17-15

2015-16 21-14

Memphis

2019-20 21-10

2018-19 22-14

2017-18 21-13

2016-17 19-13

2015-16 19-15
Way to conveniently leave out Gonzaga. Would definitely consider Michigan a national brand as well

There a so many ways for fans to follow their team or the sport. I had the incredible good fortune to have great parents and grandparents and teachers and coaches.They stressed removing bias in looking at results and performance not just in sports but in life. I never let my want for something cloud the truth. As a kid that was difficult as being a 49'er fan i would have it in my mind that my favorite players were the best players in comparison to other teams but it simply was not true. Being taught that enabled me to evaluate talent more accurately, including my own shortcomings. I kept thinking i was a better golfer than guys that kept winning, only when i accepted the reality could i quit wasting time on excuses and work on my game the right way. Only then did i break through with occasional victories. As a scout, removing bias has been critical as often the kids i like the most are not the kids that measured up to the highest level. Same for coaches, just because they coach my team does not mean i think they are any good. Conversely, there have been many coaches and teams that i did not like but that i could say were truly great. Bo Ryan was like that, never enjoyed keeping company with him but damn, he was a incredible teacher. For me, bias is like a delusion. To each their own. I have very good friends who think the Vikings have had a historically great legacy, i do not. That does does mean they are foolish or delusional. People believe what they want.

Minnesota National Championships in 1902, 1903, and 1919

GOPHER GREATS

Jim Brewer
Mykel Thompson
Randy Brewer
Kevin McHale
Lou Hudson
Archie Clark
Dave Winfield
Ray Williams
John Thomas
Willy Burton
Vashon Leonard
Jim Peterson
Flip Saunders
Trent Tucker
Darryl Mitchel
Joel Przybilla
Trevor Winter
Bobby Jackson
Kris Humphries
Daniel Oturu
David Holmgren

CHET HOLMGREN

Go Gophers (Missed a few also)

Never actually seen BB call any of the so-called Cheater Schools a better option. Passing along the attitude or thoughts that many of the kids he scouts or talks to express is not the same as having the same attitude or thoughts yourself. It's like thinking that a reporter describing a crime scene and passing along information from officials as to why the crime may have been committed is actually supporting the crime.

Describing or explaining another person's perception of a situation is not the same as having that perception or opinion of the option yourself. If I described the reasons my brother became a real estate agent, does that mean I want to be one or would use those exact reasons if I decided to do so?

Never actually seen BB call any of the so-called Cheater Schools a better option. Passing along the attitude or thoughts that many of the kids he scouts or talks to express is not the same as having the same attitude or thoughts yourself. It's like thinking that a reporter describing a crime scene and passing along information from officials as to why the crime may have been committed is actually supporting the crime.

Describing or explaining another person's perception of a situation is not the same as having that perception or opinion of the option yourself. If I described the reasons my brother became a real estate agent, does that mean I want to be one or would use those exact reasons if I decided to do so?
Better than i could say it. In fact i would love it if players picked anywhere but a cheating school but sharing why they pick it is another thing. Some on here think because they are a Gopher fan that the only great choice is to pick the Gophers. Many kids do not even grow up Gopher fans, often they follow the school of their parents or relatives or friends. Plus many of them are not impressed with our coach, our campus, our lack of success, our less than national brand. I could easily point out a dozen reasons to go to Minnesota but those would be mine. Perhaps there are enough of them for Chet to come here but if not, i understand it. When asked if this is the right place for someone , if they answered a series of questions that revealed their priorities there has been more than once that i answered yes. If they said this was their dream school and they wanted to stay home for family and wanted to go to Carlson then it was easy. If they said they would love to play for a great program and a great coach then that is a whole different thing.

Better than i could say it. In fact i would love it if players picked anywhere but a cheating school but sharing why they pick it is another thing. Some on here think because they are a Gopher fan that the only great choice is to pick the Gophers. Many kids do not even grow up Gopher fans, often they follow the school of their parents or relatives or friends. Plus many of them are not impressed with our coach, our campus, our lack of success, our less than national brand. I could easily point out a dozen reasons to go to Minnesota but those would be mine. Perhaps there are enough of them for Chet to come here but if not, i understand it. When asked if this is the right place for someone , if they answered a series of questions that revealed their priorities there has been more than once that i answered yes. If they said this was their dream school and they wanted to stay home for family and wanted to go to Carlson then it was easy. If they said they would love to play for a great program and a great coach then that is a whole different thing.
We all understand there are better programs out there aside from the Gophers. Most of the rationalization used for them to come here is due to that very same reason. We are a middling program, therefore not many other places may be able to offer the same playing time or ability to feature that player because they will so clearly be better than what's on the roster. Also, representing the home state in this case, is special to a lot of fans and some players. You don't need to lecture us on the options every single time we want a player to come here. It is understood that there is an entire landscape of college bball programs that would appeal to different players. This is Gopher board with MOST being Gopher fans and ONLY gopher fans. Of course we feel this would be the best option.

We all understand there are better programs out there aside from the Gophers. Most of the rationalization used for them to come here is due to that very same reason. We are a middling program, therefore not many other places may be able to offer the same playing time or ability to feature that player because they will so clearly be better than what's on the roster. Also, representing the home state in this case, is special to a lot of fans and some players. You don't need to lecture us on the options every single time we want a player to come here. It is understood that there is an entire landscape of college bball programs that would appeal to different players. This is Gopher board with MOST being Gopher fans and ONLY gopher fans. Of course we feel this would be the best option.
Understood, some of us follow more than one program, some of us are not from here and some of us like to share experiences and insights. This board is very well managed and easy for users to skip over the content that does not interest them. I do it all the time.

per Evans:

I don’t see a commitment soon with Chet Holmgren and believe much will ride on the visits that he takes in the fall.

However, he has already taken official visits to Gonzaga and Ohio State, and has also taken a handful of unofficial visits to Minnesota throughout the years. Those three programs have a lead over Georgetown, Memphis, Michigan and North Carolina.

Gonzaga will enroll his good friend and former school and travel teammate, Jalen Suggs, in the fall and while he will likely be gone for the NBA by the time that Holmgren arrives on campus, the connection the Zags have with Holmgren and his circle is as strong as anyone else. Ohio State has also developed strong in-roads with Holmgren, but the family connections that Minnesota boasts are something that no other suitor can match.

Holmgren's mother once worked at the school and his dad played for the Gophers in the 1980s. The best from the area have consistently decided to go elsewhere for college, but if there is a time and place for that to change, this could be the year.

Go Gophers!!

per Evans:

I don’t see a commitment soon with Chet Holmgren and believe much will ride on the visits that he takes in the fall.

However, he has already taken official visits to Gonzaga and Ohio State, and has also taken a handful of unofficial visits to Minnesota throughout the years. Those three programs have a lead over Georgetown, Memphis, Michigan and North Carolina.

Gonzaga will enroll his good friend and former school and travel teammate, Jalen Suggs, in the fall and while he will likely be gone for the NBA by the time that Holmgren arrives on campus, the connection the Zags have with Holmgren and his circle is as strong as anyone else. Ohio State has also developed strong in-roads with Holmgren, but the family connections that Minnesota boasts are something that no other suitor can match.

Holmgren's mother once worked at the school and his dad played for the Gophers in the 1980s. The best from the area have consistently decided to go elsewhere for college, but if there is a time and place for that to change, this could be the year.

Go Gophers!!
it was a quote from this post. although i now see my fail at getting the quote correct.

Way to conveniently leave out Gonzaga. Would definitely consider Michigan a national brand as well
We have had many discussion about the overrating of Gonzaga because of the easy conference schedule that give them easier paths in the NCAA.

So it's Ohio State and Gonzaga. (oh, and yeah, definitely, Minnesota ... top 3 !!)

We have had many discussion about the overrating of Gonzaga because of the easy conference schedule that give them easier paths in the NCAA.
Say it all you want but they have a really strong record against power 6 teams. Add them all up over 20 years and it pig slaughters our winning % against those teams. The vast majority have been against the top half as well, plus true national powers. They did not pump it up against the lowly bottom half of the conferences.They can not help the conference they are in but the destroy that as they should. Just pull all the data from every power 6 team they have played since 2000. We would kill for that level of success.

Say it all you want but they have a really strong record against power 6 teams. Add them all up over 20 years and it pig slaughters our winning % against those teams. The vast majority have been against the top half as well, plus true national powers. They did not pump it up against the lowly bottom half of the conferences.They can not help the conference they are in but the destroy that as they should. Just pull all the data from every power 6 team they have played since 2000. We would kill for that level of success.
I have pulled the data and listed it all for you on a couple of occasions. I am not going to waste a couple of hours again and then have you ignore it and put your own spin on it.

The Zags have finally made a jump the last 2-3 years, but before that they did not have a good record against the P5 opponents and have counted on tromping a weak conference to get the automatic bid. Look it up yourself.

Top Bottom